2013 US Open One Pocket Photo Gallery

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been going through the photos I took in Las Vegas for the US Open One Pocket and finally got a gallery uploaded.

US Open One Pocket Gallery

Unfortunately I missed the finals due to the decision to postpone the One Pocket finals so they could get caught up on the 10-Ball and the players could get their beauty rest following the power outage. (can you tell I wasn't happy with that, lol?)

Corey did very well

Unfortunately for Corey, this guy did even better

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Could use some labeling help

Could use some labeling help

Personally my favored way to browse pics in these smugmug-hosted galleries is to click the Slideshow button in the top right corner of your screen, and then pick "fast" for the view speed so you can skim through in full screen mode. You can even get to the slideshow on smart phones but it seems a little more convoluted, needing to select "full site" first. Of course you all might know something I don't lol.

I labeled a bunch of them, but did it quick and easy using thumbnails only to view, so some may be wrong, and many are simply not labeled because I don't know who they are. Your help ID-ing would be great! A file number should appear if there is no player name, so if you reference those last four digits I can add the player name...

JAM

Verified Member
Really, really enjoyed the pictures. This CSI event seems to be one of the best pool happenings in a long time. It gets better each year! I am totally impressed with the quality of the venue, and it look as if the audience was packed from the photos.

I must ask a question about this guy: http://www.poolinaction.com/Other-1...72459_5sBP97#!i=2660856587&k=mrXstFH&lb=1&s=A

I remember seeing him at Glass City Open. Spanish Mike, Scott the Shot, et al., didn't know who he was, so they had the odds on him wrong. Keith bet a C-note with them and won a nice chunkie. :D

I noticed his shirt has a logo on it from a Native American Tribe. Is he Native American? His name is Stan Tourangeau. I wish I could read the logo better. It's something Cree First Nation.

Anyway, I like this cool cat! :cool:

Attachments

• 2012-us-bar-table-9ball-reno-40-stan-tourangeau-300x214.jpg
    2012-us-bar-table-9ball-reno-40-stan-tourangeau-300x214.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was thinking Stan was from West Canada, but he might be from the Washington State area. I used to see him at the Reno Open tournaments during the 90's, and at some events in Calif. The Quakester must know him for sure.

He was a level below the top pros, but always a threat to win. I only saw him play 9-ball, so I don't know anything about his 1P game. But he probably plays it pretty sporty.:cool:

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Really, really enjoyed the pictures. This CSI event seems to be one of the best pool happenings in a long time. It gets better each year! I am totally impressed with the quality of the venue, and it look as if the audience was packed from the photos.

I must ask a question about this guy: http://www.poolinaction.com/Other-1...72459_5sBP97#!i=2660856587&k=mrXstFH&lb=1&s=A

I remember seeing him at Glass City Open. Spanish Mike, Scott the Shot, et al., didn't know who he was, so they had the odds on him wrong. Keith bet a C-note with them and won a nice chunkie. :D

I noticed his shirt has a logo on it from a Native American Tribe. Is he Native American? His name is Stan Tourangeau. I wish I could read the logo better. It's something Cree First Nation.

I zoomed in on the full sized image:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-07-28_12-19-20.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-07-28_12-19-20.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
I zoomed in on the full sized image:

Oh, thank you so much, Steve. I'm into Native American culture big time, and whenever I see a Native American logo, player, anything relating to pool, it piques my interest. Thanks again!:)

JAM

Verified Member
I was thinking Stan was from West Canada, but he might be from the Washington State area. I used to see him at the Reno Open tournaments during the 90's, and at some events in Calif. The Quakester must know him for sure.

He was a level below the top pros, but always a threat to win. I only saw him play 9-ball, so I don't know anything about his 1P game. But he probably plays it pretty sporty.:cool:

Doc

His 9-ball game is pretty solid, as I recall. He flies under the radar and probably likes it that way! ;)

JAM

Verified Member
Wow! I found this little snippet about Stan from 1996: Vancouver-based pool player Stan Tourangeau captured two of the sport's most prestigious titles last month in Las Vegas, Nevada. The 41-year-old native of Fort Chipewyan and Fort McMurray, Alta., won both the eight- and nine-ball competitions in Wal-Mac's Valley National Eight Ball Association tournament.

Tourangeau, a Cree born in 1955, is living proof that a man can overcome adversity to eventually make his mark in sport. He has competed in the tournament only for the last three years. In winning, the cue handler becomes the first Aboriginal person in the world-wide league's history to win either of these two categories, let alone both in …

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Steve, the pictures #6 and #12 (and probably others as well) are of the redoubtable and balding Chris MacDonald from Santa Rosa, Calif.-- the setting for Hitchcock's thriller, Shadow Of A Doubt. As you know Chris has been a solid player for many years, but just couldn't struggle up to the top pro level. He's beat all the top players, but couldn't do it consistently enough to make a living at it.

I'll see if I can identify a few more later...

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Steve, the pictures #6 and #12 (and probably others as well) are of the redoubtable and balding Chris MacDonald from Santa Rosa, Calif.-- the setting for Hitchcock's thriller, Shadow Of A Doubt. As you know Chris has been a solid player for many years, but just couldn't struggle up to the top pro level. He's beat all the top players, but couldn't do it consistently enough to make a living at it.

I'll see if I can identify a few more later...

Doc

If that is Chris MacDonald, then I am a Monkey's Uncle. He couldnt possibly have changed (for the worse) that much. I played Chris often (many years ago, of course) and that picture doesnt ring a single bell.

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
If that is Chris MacDonald, then I am a Monkey's Uncle. He couldnt possibly have changed (for the worse) that much. I played Chris often (many years ago, of course) and that picture doesnt ring a single bell.

Beard

Yes. Here is a match I was watching with him and John H. They give some good plugs for The Cue Sports Journal at the end. Chris is wearing a hat, ala Fast Eddie Burton. Reminded me of him a bit...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4ZllDERAE[/ame]

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Stan

Stan

Stan wins more than his share of 9/10 ball tournaments, especially on the bar tables.

I believe he won one of the events this year at the Rio. He often travels with Dan Louie, who has been a good player for a long time.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yes. Here is a match I was watching with him and John H. They give some good plugs for The Cue Sports Journal at the end. Chris is wearing a hat, ala Fast Eddie Burton. Reminded me of him a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4ZllDERAE

I caught Chris speeding one time in Burlington(or Moline, forgot which), and I strummed him 8 in a row for $150 a game. (70s?) Now, at that time Chris wasnt a $150 a game, tough action man. But he had caught me in Chicago on one of my many dead-man days and beat me pretty good for $30 a game.

I left him and his wife in a state of total shock, he had probably never went for that much up to that point in his life. Back then he was a good, sneak around hustler. Played good but didnt buck the tide too often.

I did feel a little bad emptying him of what he had probably accumulated by beating 20 different people.

Beard

Still dont recognize him.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I caught Chris speeding one time in Burlington(or Moline, forgot which), and I strummed him 8 in a row for $150 a game. (70s?) Now, at that time Chris wasnt a $150 a game, tough action man. But he had caught me in Chicago on one of my many dead-man days and beat me pretty good for $30 a game.

I left him and his wife in a state of total shock, he had probably never went for that much up to that point in his life. Back then he was a good, sneak around hustler. Played good but didnt buck the tide too often.

I did feel a little bad emptying him of what he had probably accumulated by beating 20 different people.

Beard

Still dont recognize him.

Ouch!! I bet that did put him to hurting. But I agree. I met him at a tournament in Greenville Mauldin area over near the ball park at an out of the way room called Mr. T. one time. He looked so different. I wouldn't have guessed who he was in a hundred years. He was playing real good too, so good shooting Beard..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Beard
Well, it's better than being a monkey's grandfather!:D I was surprised to see Chris with a bald pate. Perhaps that was why he was wearing a hat in the clip with Hendy. The shadows also age him. I can't recall the difference in our ages, but I'll guess that Chris is in his late 50's. John might know.

Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
That's Chris.

He lives 10 miles away from me, works at a beautiful Alistair McKenzie golf course in the Russian River area...still plays a bit of pool and golf.

He actually beat Rafael Martinez a year or two ago for a nice 1500 payday or something like that in SF (one pocket tourney), so his old game jumps up every now and then. Tough to stay sharp as a working man getting up there in years.

Lovely daughter, still out there battling, fires some rounds in the 70's at his golf course.

He's a good guy. I smoosh him at 3-C when he plays me, but the old Chris would drill me night and day at pretty much all the pool games.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Well, it's better than being a monkey's grandfather!:D I was surprised to see Chris with a bald pate. Perhaps that was why he was wearing a hat in the clip with Hendy. The shadows also age him. I can't recall the difference in our ages, but I'll guess that Chris is in his late 50's. John might know.

Doc

When I knew him he had a bushy head of hair. The kind that you would think would never go bald. His picture with that big mop of hair is in my book.

Beard

piggybank04

Verified Member
that guy behind ike in pic 123 is obviously ken schuman, but he looks like john lavin from red shoes......