Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 US Open One Pocket Photo Gallery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2013 US Open One Pocket Photo Gallery

    I've been going through the photos I took in Las Vegas for the US Open One Pocket and finally got a gallery uploaded.

    US Open One Pocket Gallery

    Unfortunately I missed the finals due to the decision to postpone the One Pocket finals so they could get caught up on the 10-Ball and the players could get their beauty rest following the power outage. (can you tell I wasn't happy with that, lol?)


    Corey did very well


    Unfortunately for Corey, this guy did even better
    "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
    -- Strawberry Brooks

  • #2
    Cool pics, Steve.

    Comment


    • #3
      Could use some labeling help

      Personally my favored way to browse pics in these smugmug-hosted galleries is to click the Slideshow button in the top right corner of your screen, and then pick "fast" for the view speed so you can skim through in full screen mode. You can even get to the slideshow on smart phones but it seems a little more convoluted, needing to select "full site" first. Of course you all might know something I don't lol.

      I labeled a bunch of them, but did it quick and easy using thumbnails only to view, so some may be wrong, and many are simply not labeled because I don't know who they are. Your help ID-ing would be great! A file number should appear if there is no player name, so if you reference those last four digits I can add the player name...
      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
      -- Strawberry Brooks

      Comment


      • #4
        Really, really enjoyed the pictures. This CSI event seems to be one of the best pool happenings in a long time. It gets better each year! I am totally impressed with the quality of the venue, and it look as if the audience was packed from the photos.

        I must ask a question about this guy: http://www.poolinaction.com/Other-1/...XstFH&lb=1&s=A

        I remember seeing him at Glass City Open. Spanish Mike, Scott the Shot, et al., didn't know who he was, so they had the odds on him wrong. Keith bet a C-note with them and won a nice chunkie.

        I noticed his shirt has a logo on it from a Native American Tribe. Is he Native American? His name is Stan Tourangeau. I wish I could read the logo better. It's something Cree First Nation.

        Anyway, I like this cool cat!
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          I was thinking Stan was from West Canada, but he might be from the Washington State area. I used to see him at the Reno Open tournaments during the 90's, and at some events in Calif. The Quakester must know him for sure.

          He was a level below the top pros, but always a threat to win. I only saw him play 9-ball, so I don't know anything about his 1P game. But he probably plays it pretty sporty.

          Doc

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JAM View Post
            Really, really enjoyed the pictures. This CSI event seems to be one of the best pool happenings in a long time. It gets better each year! I am totally impressed with the quality of the venue, and it look as if the audience was packed from the photos.

            I must ask a question about this guy: http://www.poolinaction.com/Other-1/...XstFH&lb=1&s=A

            I remember seeing him at Glass City Open. Spanish Mike, Scott the Shot, et al., didn't know who he was, so they had the odds on him wrong. Keith bet a C-note with them and won a nice chunkie.

            I noticed his shirt has a logo on it from a Native American Tribe. Is he Native American? His name is Stan Tourangeau. I wish I could read the logo better. It's something Cree First Nation.

            Anyway, I like this cool cat!
            I zoomed in on the full sized image:
            Attached Files
            "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
            -- Strawberry Brooks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
              I zoomed in on the full sized image:
              Oh, thank you so much, Steve. I'm into Native American culture big time, and whenever I see a Native American logo, player, anything relating to pool, it piques my interest. Thanks again!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                I was thinking Stan was from West Canada, but he might be from the Washington State area. I used to see him at the Reno Open tournaments during the 90's, and at some events in Calif. The Quakester must know him for sure.

                He was a level below the top pros, but always a threat to win. I only saw him play 9-ball, so I don't know anything about his 1P game. But he probably plays it pretty sporty.

                Doc
                His 9-ball game is pretty solid, as I recall. He flies under the radar and probably likes it that way!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow! I found this little snippet about Stan from 1996: Vancouver-based pool player Stan Tourangeau captured two of the sport's most prestigious titles last month in Las Vegas, Nevada. The 41-year-old native of Fort Chipewyan and Fort McMurray, Alta., won both the eight- and nine-ball competitions in Wal-Mac's Valley National Eight Ball Association tournament.

                  Tourangeau, a Cree born in 1955, is living proof that a man can overcome adversity to eventually make his mark in sport. He has competed in the tournament only for the last three years. In winning, the cue handler becomes the first Aboriginal person in the world-wide league's history to win either of these two categories, let alone both in …

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Steve, the pictures #6 and #12 (and probably others as well) are of the redoubtable and balding Chris MacDonald from Santa Rosa, Calif.-- the setting for Hitchcock's thriller, Shadow Of A Doubt. As you know Chris has been a solid player for many years, but just couldn't struggle up to the top pro level. He's beat all the top players, but couldn't do it consistently enough to make a living at it.

                    I'll see if I can identify a few more later...

                    Doc

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                      Steve, the pictures #6 and #12 (and probably others as well) are of the redoubtable and balding Chris MacDonald from Santa Rosa, Calif.-- the setting for Hitchcock's thriller, Shadow Of A Doubt. As you know Chris has been a solid player for many years, but just couldn't struggle up to the top pro level. He's beat all the top players, but couldn't do it consistently enough to make a living at it.

                      I'll see if I can identify a few more later...

                      Doc
                      If that is Chris MacDonald, then I am a Monkey's Uncle. He couldnt possibly have changed (for the worse) that much. I played Chris often (many years ago, of course) and that picture doesnt ring a single bell.

                      Beard
                      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
                        If that is Chris MacDonald, then I am a Monkey's Uncle. He couldnt possibly have changed (for the worse) that much. I played Chris often (many years ago, of course) and that picture doesnt ring a single bell.

                        Beard


                        Yes. Here is a match I was watching with him and John H. They give some good plugs for The Cue Sports Journal at the end. Chris is wearing a hat, ala Fast Eddie Burton. Reminded me of him a bit...


                        [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4ZllDERAE[/ame]
                        "Born Into This"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Stan

                          Originally posted by JAM View Post
                          Really, really enjoyed the pictures. This CSI event seems to be one of the best pool happenings in a long time. It gets better each year! I am totally impressed with the quality of the venue, and it look as if the audience was packed from the photos.

                          I must ask a question about this guy: http://www.poolinaction.com/Other-1/...XstFH&lb=1&s=A

                          I remember seeing him at Glass City Open. Spanish Mike, Scott the Shot, et al., didn't know who he was, so they had the odds on him wrong. Keith bet a C-note with them and won a nice chunkie.

                          I noticed his shirt has a logo on it from a Native American Tribe. Is he Native American? His name is Stan Tourangeau. I wish I could read the logo better. It's something Cree First Nation.

                          Anyway, I like this cool cat!
                          Stan wins more than his share of 9/10 ball tournaments, especially on the bar tables.

                          I believe he won one of the events this year at the Rio. He often travels with Dan Louie, who has been a good player for a long time.
                          JOHN HENDERSON
                          Al Romero Cue
                          Magic Chalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                            Yes. Here is a match I was watching with him and John H. They give some good plugs for The Cue Sports Journal at the end. Chris is wearing a hat, ala Fast Eddie Burton. Reminded me of him a bit...


                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4ZllDERAE
                            I caught Chris speeding one time in Burlington(or Moline, forgot which), and I strummed him 8 in a row for $150 a game. (70s?) Now, at that time Chris wasnt a $150 a game, tough action man. But he had caught me in Chicago on one of my many dead-man days and beat me pretty good for $30 a game.

                            I left him and his wife in a state of total shock, he had probably never went for that much up to that point in his life. Back then he was a good, sneak around hustler. Played good but didnt buck the tide too often.

                            I did feel a little bad emptying him of what he had probably accumulated by beating 20 different people.

                            Beard

                            Still dont recognize him.
                            New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                            www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
                              I caught Chris speeding one time in Burlington(or Moline, forgot which), and I strummed him 8 in a row for $150 a game. (70s?) Now, at that time Chris wasnt a $150 a game, tough action man. But he had caught me in Chicago on one of my many dead-man days and beat me pretty good for $30 a game.

                              I left him and his wife in a state of total shock, he had probably never went for that much up to that point in his life. Back then he was a good, sneak around hustler. Played good but didnt buck the tide too often.

                              I did feel a little bad emptying him of what he had probably accumulated by beating 20 different people.

                              Beard

                              Still dont recognize him.


                              Ouch!! I bet that did put him to hurting. But I agree. I met him at a tournament in Greenville Mauldin area over near the ball park at an out of the way room called Mr. T. one time. He looked so different. I wouldn't have guessed who he was in a hundred years. He was playing real good too, so good shooting Beard..
                              "Born Into This"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X