Food in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food in Chicago

OK, I have arrived in Chicago for my match with Ghost this weekend. I picked up my rental car and didn't know the rental car co's are a few miles away and they pick you up at the airport in a shuttle.

I am hungry and drove around a little looking for something to eat and saw this huge line outside of a hotdog stand and decided to check out Gene's and Jude's.

I asked a couple big boys in front of me what a newcomer should order and ended up with a dog and fries and a tamale. Strange combination but delicious.

This will be a food trip almost as much as a pool trip. Pizza and Italian beef are next and anything else that looks good.

I will try some other hot dog joints too, but got lucky with my first choice.

I weighed 230 this morning. Who knows where I will end up. I am getting hungry writing this.
    JOHN HENDERSON
    Al Romero Cue
    Magic Chalk

Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
    OK, I have arrived in Chicago for my match with Ghost this weekend. I picked up my rental car and didn't know the rental car co's are a few miles away and they pick you up at the airport in a shuttle.

I am hungry and drove around a little looking for something to eat and saw this huge line outside of a hotdog stand and decided to check out Gene's and Jude's.

I asked a couple big boys in front of me what a newcomer should order and ended up with a dog and fries and a tamale. Strange combination but delicious.

This will be a food trip almost as much as a pool trip. Pizza and Italian beef are next and anything else that looks good.

I weighed 230 this morning. Who knows where I will end up. I am getting hungry writing this.
    John; You landed on one of my picks for Dogs, the hand-cut fries are the bomb, and close to the track, "Maywood Park!'

Try "Super Dawg" on the Far Northwest side, not far from "Chris's Billiards"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Comment

Damn John, you only weighed 230 lbs. this morning? Lightweight. I weighed 259 lbs. this morning but my scale could be off.

I've got a C-note riding on your strong back so be careful of that tricky Ghost type dude.

Should you have any insurmountable problems in Chi-Town just let me know, I'll be there in 4 hours to resolve any difficulties.

Dennis

Comment

Wiener Circle

John if you are out late night in the city and want a good char dog and want see a show hit the Wieners Circle on Clark Street......Great late nite food and the girls behind the counter are hilarious.

Comment

How did your first night go??? Find anything good?? If you really wanna play "golf" let me know and I could probably wrangle up some players...we call it 6 pocket, but pretty much the same thing.
          Live long and play strong,
          -Chicagomike

Comment

Landing on Gene and Judes right off the shoulder is amazing. That has been a top joint for 50 years. That long line you saw, incidentally, never goes down. In my whole life I have never been able to drive past that joint without stopping and going in for one or two dogs with fries. Is the price still under a duece?

Once a week a 6 x 6 semi truck delivers the potatoes for the fries to that little joint.

You cant get ketchup or tomatoes in that joint either because they have no place to store them.

Beard

There is a pork chop sandwich joint just a few blocks down from Red Shoes. The chop is 1 1/2 inches thick. I think its about $5.

I had a beef sandwich at the famous, if not brutally overpriced, Al's Beef on Taylor Street. 3 small beefs with 1 order of fries cost me $25! It was delicious, but they still are robbing.

The worlds greatest Italian submarine sandwich is right near where Cardone's playhouse on Randolph st is located, it's on Grand Ave and Noble, Bari's Deli. !2 incher on real Italian bread for $5.
            New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
            www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Originally posted by chicagomike View Post
              How did your first night go??? Find anything good?? If you really wanna play "golf" let me know and I could probably wrangle up some players...we call it 6 pocket, but pretty much the same thing.
              Forget about Golf Mike. Leave that stinkin game out West where it belongs.

Beard
              New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
              www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Wait a minute -- not yet another local variation on Golf! I want to hear how the Chicago version works Mike...
                "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

I would love to play some after our one pocket match. I guess the only snooker table is at Chris's? Don't tell me they play on a regular pool table.

I will try and knock out the Ghost Saturday. If that does not work, I am free Monday, day or night, and heading home Tuesday.
                  JOHN HENDERSON
                  Al Romero Cue
                  Magic Chalk

Comment

31st andState?

Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
                    There is a pork chop sandwich joint just a few blocks down from Red Shoes. The chop is 1 1/2 inches thick. I think its about $5.

I had a beef sandwich at the famous, if not brutally overpriced, Al's Beef on Taylor Street. 3 small beefs with 1 order of fries cost me $25! It was delicious, but they still are robbing.

The worlds greatest Italian submarine sandwich is right near where Cardone's playhouse on Randolph st is located, it's on Grand Ave and Noble, Bari's Deli. !2 incher on real Italian bread for $5.

There is also a good pork chop sandwich joint in Freddys neck of the woods. I believe at 31st and State right next to the train tracks. Maxwells it's called.(is that right Freddy?) I haven't been down there in a while.
                    As far as beefs, I think you get more bang for your buck at Portillos. Like Freddy said, Al's is robbing, but still a great beef. You can't go wrong at either place.

Comment

Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
                      Forget about Golf Mike. Leave that stinkin game out West where it belongs.

Beard
                      Considering how well you bank and as much of a one pocket mind as you have, I figured you for a natural "golfer".
                      -Chicagomike

Comment

Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                        Wait a minute -- not yet another local variation on Golf! I want to hear how the Chicago version works Mike...
                        If I recall correctly (been a long time since I've played)...a player order is established, cue ball and solid coordinating balls are both used as cue balls. Play begins with a spot shot bank to the right hand kitchen pocket. Strokes are counted after 1st man in the hole. Stroke penalty for fouls. Pay based on stroke count with whatever value assigned to each stroke. White cue ball scratches spot cb on kitchen spot..Solid ball scratches it's placed on center table spot.
                        -Chicagomike

Comment

Omg the stories I have about 6 pocket. It is truly a great game along the lines of screw yourneighbor. Haven't played it in decades but it always managed to garner up a few laughs.

Comment

I would love to play some after our one pocket match.
                            I am free Monday, day or night, and heading home Tuesday.
                            Hey John fuggedabout playing golf - that'll never happen anyway...instead...

...let's you and I stay married for your trip here.. ...and we'll have a 3cushion rematch on Monday...

- Ghost
                            jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Six pocket

If I recall correctly (been a long time since I've played)...a player order is established, cue ball and solid coordinating balls are both used as cue balls. Play begins with a spot shot bank to the right hand kitchen pocket. Strokes are counted after 1st man in the hole. Stroke penalty for fouls. Pay based on stroke count with whatever value assigned to each stroke. White cue ball scratches spot cb on kitchen spot..Solid ball scratches it's placed on center table spot.
                              Sounds like a variation of a game we called stymie years ago. You paid by the stroke to everyone in front of you.

Not golf as I know it, but I will play.
                              JOHN HENDERSON
                              Al Romero Cue
                              Magic Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X