shannon /efren #???

piggybank04

Verified Member
i know this will draw some criticism, but i think he should back cut the one ball,going 3 rails with the cb=GAME OVER..... as long as he doesnt hit it poorly, there is nothing that can go wrong--lets say that he misses the ball--even that scenario is no big deal, spot one up and keep going, yes, now you owe a ball, but there is no sell out......i would shoot this all day long.....pretty easy shot, if youve shot it as much as i have--for shannon, that would be gravy.......all of this is contingent on the one ball being on the spot--i cant really tell from the pics.......

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
GAME OVER..... as long as he doesnt hit it poorly, there is nothing that can go wrong--.

I've shot this many times when I was younger with mixed results.
Missing the ball isn't bad, but hitting it fat is a problem.

"Game Over" is iffy, you still need a ball if you make the 1 ball.

As for " as long as he doesnt hit it poorly, there is nothing that can go wrong-"
That can be said of all the shots mentioned in the thread.
Rod.
P.S. Feels great when you saw it in. :D

piggybank04

Verified Member
I've shot this many times when I was younger with mixed results.
Missing the ball isn't bad, but hitting it fat is a problem.

"Game Over" is iffy, you still need a ball if you make the 1 ball.

As for " as long as he doesnt hit it poorly, there is nothing that can go wrong-"
That can be said of all the shots mentioned in the thread.
Rod.
P.S. Feels great when you saw it in. :D
you always have to err on the thin side for this to be successful--if he wants to go 4 rails after he makes it, then, indeed its game over--if he goes 3 rails, he would then have a fairly easy billiard for the game--btw, i used to practice ths shot with the ball jawed in the corner pocket, i practiced until it became somewhat easy, though its still relatively tough compared to most shots.......

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
i know this will draw some criticism, but i think he should back cut the one ball,going 3 rails with the cb=GAME OVER..... as long as he doesnt hit it poorly, there is nothing that can go wrong--lets say that he misses the ball--even that scenario is no big deal, spot one up and keep going, yes, now you owe a ball, but there is no sell out......i would shoot this all day long.....pretty easy shot, if youve shot it as much as i have--for shannon, that would be gravy.......all of this is contingent on the one ball being on the spot--i cant really tell from the pics.......

When I missed the 1, the QB went three rails and sold out the 1 and/or 2. Thats if you hit it hard enough to go three rails to begin with. So no, thats not very safe.

piggybank04

Verified Member
When I missed the 1, the QB went three rails and sold out the 1 and/or 2. Thats if you hit it hard enough to go three rails to begin with. So no, thats not very safe.
if you miss the ball, you should end up about where you started--you have to spot a ball as well.....so how does that sell out a shot? the 2 ball?? hell, i'll let anybody shoot that from the corner, no problem..... you would have to really bungle this shot to really leave something good for your opponent--i stand by the shot-its a game winner, if we happen to meet sometime, i'll be glad to set up this positon, and i'll shoot it 10 times and i guarantee at least 9 of them i will have the better of it and probably all 10 tries......

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Here you have a situation where you have the lead at 6 balls to five with no shot , however , two of the remaining four balls favor you as the shooter. You also have a ball positioned on the spot with the angle to roll the spot ball softly into the 2ball and drop the cue ball to the bottom cushion, this shot if hit reasonably well...(and there's no reason why anyone can't hit this shot well) will position all balls closely to the bottom cushion with at least two of the three balls favoring the shooter and the third ball at worst in a neutral position. The cue ball should be near or resting on the bottom cushion leaving absolutely nothing in terms of leavig any kind of a shot that your opponent can hurt you with. Further more the angle left for the seven ball will be a bad angle for the shooter to play off of that ball, forcing him to deal with one of the three balls positioned near the rail on your side of the table.

How can you possibly ask fdor a better situation other than rolling the 1ball softly into the 2ball?:frus

like the Hacker says "you can't make ice cream out of horseshit"so why even try.

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
if you miss the ball, you should end up about where you started--you have to spot a ball as well.....so how does that sell out a shot? the 2 ball?? hell, i'll let anybody shoot that from the corner, no problem..... you would have to really bungle this shot to really leave something good for your opponent--i stand by the shot-its a game winner, if we happen to meet sometime, i'll be glad to set up this positon, and i'll shoot it 10 times and i guarantee at least 9 of them i will have the better of it and probably all 10 tries......

My bad about the spotted ball. But if you miss the 1, it doesn't come back where you start. If you make the 1 the qb has a good chance of scratching where you just started from.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Here you have a situation where you have the lead at 6 balls to five with no shot , however , two of the remaining four balls favor you as the shooter. You also have a ball positioned on the spot with the angle to roll the spot ball softly into the 2ball and drop the cue ball to the bottom cushion, this shot if hit reasonably well...(and there's no reason why anyone can't hit this shot well) will position all balls closely to the bottom cushion with at least two of the three balls favoring the shooter and the third ball at worst in a neutral position. The cue ball should be near or resting on the bottom cushion leaving absolutely nothing in terms of leavig any kind of a shot that your opponent can hurt you with. Further more the angle left for the seven ball will be a bad angle for the shooter to play off of that ball, forcing him to deal with one of the three balls positioned near the rail on your side of the table.

How can you possibly ask fdor a better situation other than rolling the 1ball softly into the 2ball?:frus

like the Hacker says "you can't make ice cream out of horseshit"so why even try.

Dr. Bill

That's the way I see it and that's been my preferred shot choice.

But there is a poop scoop.

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
i also like the 2 ball three rails, cb knocks in the 10 then gets safe.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shannon cut the 1 in and almost scratched...:eek:
so do you think this was a good shot??
lust askin....:rolleyes:
the 1 into the 2 and roll to the bottom rail is the shot for me
rods shot if im feeling frisky would be my 2nd choice
ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
I would have shot rail first with low left at the 7? ball and put the 7? ball on my side about 2 diamonds from the end rail.

Then when he moves the 10 ball I would have a bank.

Bill S.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
View attachment 8922

View attachment 8923

If I am past the imaginary line from the edge of the one to the point of the pocket there, which shannon is here, I don't even think about shooting. Of course tables play different, but you are just asking for a scratch 2 different ways when you shoot the ball from that spot he is in, or thinner. So, no, I don't like that shot. When you are trying to beat efren in his prime to 8 though, I am sure things change :p

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would have shot rail first with low left at the 7? ball and put the 7? ball on my side about 2 diamonds from the end rail.

Then when he moves the 10 ball I would have a bank.

Bill S.

From where the balls will be after your shot, Efren will kick the ten into his pocket and end up straight in on the one.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
View attachment 8922

View attachment 8923

For a top player or for someone who hits balls well this shot is some what inviting, however, with the score the way it is and also considering the ball position this shot is a stretch at best...imo.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Dr. Bill

There's another valid reason why shooting off the spot ball is strongly worth considering, and would be my choice. Considering where the 7ball is positioned after shooting off the spot ball your opponent will be forced to shoot off of one of the three balls that will be positioned near the bottom rail, then you will have a two railer with the 7ball that could possibly win you the game.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE SITUATION AND ENVISION WHERE YOU WILL LEAVE YOUR OPPONENT AFTER SHOOTING OFF THE SPOT BALL. THEN TRY TO FIGURE OUT HIS RETURN SHOT AND WHAT YOUR OPTIONS WOULD BE FROM THERE.

If i'm correct with my assumption your opponent will be forced to defend against the entire table (7ball included) that could be very difficult.

Dr. Bill

unoperro

Verified Member
There's another valid reason why shooting off the spot ball is strongly worth considering, and would be my choice. Considering where the 7ball is positioned after shooting off the spot ball your opponent will be forced to shoot off of one of the three balls that will be positioned near the bottom rail, then you will have a two railer with the 7ball that could possibly win you the game.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE SITUATION AND ENVISION WHERE YOU WILL LEAVE YOUR OPPONENT AFTER SHOOTING OFF THE SPOT BALL. THEN TRY TO FIGURE OUT HIS RETURN SHOT AND WHAT YOUR OPTIONS WOULD BE FROM THERE.

If i'm correct with my assumption your opponent will be forced to defend against the entire table (7ball included) that could be very difficult.

Dr. Bill

Envision it-then try it.You might be suprised how often you sell out a bank! Or a chance for Effren to " hit you with a broom".

My idea for banking the 1 does not work as well as I "envisioned" either.
No one has mentioned kicking the 7 out towards side pocket on your side of table. Then if Effren slow rolls in behind 1o-you can bank the 7,or "reposition"
cb to top of table.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
View attachment 8922

View attachment 8923

Even though I shoot this shot well and have the gimmick of how to shoot it (or I should say I used to know it well), I think it was a poor decision in this spot when he had so many other options. Larry, when you come up to Chicago I'll give you the stuff Gene Skinner gave to me 40 years ago as to how to best shoot this shot. I was never any sort of famous long-shot maker, but I could make this shot under extreme conditions.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Envision it-then try it.You might be suprised how often you sell out a bank! Or a chance for Effren to " hit you with a broom".

My idea for banking the 1 does not work as well as I "envisioned" either.
No one has mentioned kicking the 7 out towards side pocket on your side of table. Then if Effren slow rolls in behind 1o-you can bank the 7,or "reposition"
cb to top of table.

Matter of fact Stroud suggested that option but there could be two problems that could arise off the option.

1. You could leave a cross corner return shot with the 7ball.
2. There also could be the possibility of playing off the moved 7ball and dropping behind the 10ball.

In either case the 7ball option could easily work against you, not my choice.

Dr. Bill