No announcement yet.

shannon /efren #???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shannon cut the 1 in and almost scratched...
    so do you think this was a good shot??
    lust askin....
    the 1 into the 2 and roll to the bottom rail is the shot for me
    rods shot if im feeling frisky would be my 2nd choice
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ss2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	387331

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	387332

Comment

He needed a TOI.

Comment

I would have shot rail first with low left at the 7? ball and put the 7? ball on my side about 2 diamonds from the end rail.

Then when he moves the 10 ball I would have a bank.

Bill S.

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
          lust askin....
          [ATTACH]8922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8923[/ATTACH]
          If I am past the imaginary line from the edge of the one to the point of the pocket there, which shannon is here, I don't even think about shooting. Of course tables play different, but you are just asking for a scratch 2 different ways when you shoot the ball from that spot he is in, or thinner. So, no, I don't like that shot. When you are trying to beat efren in his prime to 8 though, I am sure things change

Comment

Originally posted by bstroud View Post
            I would have shot rail first with low left at the 7? ball and put the 7? ball on my side about 2 diamonds from the end rail.

Then when he moves the 10 ball I would have a bank.

Bill S.
            From where the balls will be after your shot, Efren will kick the ten into his pocket and end up straight in on the one.

Comment

lust askin....
              [ATTACH]8922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8923[/ATTACH]
              For a top player or for someone who hits balls well this shot is some what inviting, however, with the score the way it is and also considering the ball position this shot is a stretch at best...imo.

Dr. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                Here you have a situation where you have the lead at 6 balls to five with no shot , however , two of the remaining four balls favor you as the shooter. You also have a ball positioned on the spot with the angle to roll the spot ball softly into the 2ball and drop the cue ball to the bottom cushion, this shot if hit reasonably well...(and there's no reason why anyone can't hit this shot well) will position all balls closely to the bottom cushion with at least two of the three balls favoring the shooter and the third ball at worst in a neutral position. The cue ball should be near or resting on the bottom cushion leaving absolutely nothing in terms of leavig any kind of a shot that your opponent can hurt you with. Further more the angle left for the seven ball will be a bad angle for the shooter to play off of that ball, forcing him to deal with one of the three balls positioned near the rail on your side of the table.

How can you possibly ask fdor a better situation other than rolling the 1ball softly into the 2ball?

like the Hacker says "you can't make ice cream out of horseshit"so why even try.

Dr. Bill
                There's another valid reason why shooting off the spot ball is strongly worth considering, and would be my choice. Considering where the 7ball is positioned after shooting off the spot ball your opponent will be forced to shoot off of one of the three balls that will be positioned near the bottom rail, then you will have a two railer with the 7ball that could possibly win you the game.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE SITUATION AND ENVISION WHERE YOU WILL LEAVE YOUR OPPONENT AFTER SHOOTING OFF THE SPOT BALL. THEN TRY TO FIGURE OUT HIS RETURN SHOT AND WHAT YOUR OPTIONS WOULD BE FROM THERE.

If i'm correct with my assumption your opponent will be forced to defend against the entire table (7ball included) that could be very difficult.

Dr. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                  There's another valid reason why shooting off the spot ball is strongly worth considering, and would be my choice. Considering where the 7ball is positioned after shooting off the spot ball your opponent will be forced to shoot off of one of the three balls that will be positioned near the bottom rail, then you will have a two railer with the 7ball that could possibly win you the game.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE SITUATION AND ENVISION WHERE YOU WILL LEAVE YOUR OPPONENT AFTER SHOOTING OFF THE SPOT BALL. THEN TRY TO FIGURE OUT HIS RETURN SHOT AND WHAT YOUR OPTIONS WOULD BE FROM THERE.

If i'm correct with my assumption your opponent will be forced to defend against the entire table (7ball included) that could be very difficult.

Dr. Bill
                  Envision it-then try it.You might be suprised how often you sell out a bank! Or a chance for Effren to " hit you with a broom".

My idea for banking the 1 does not work as well as I "envisioned" either.
                  No one has mentioned kicking the 7 out towards side pocket on your side of table. Then if Effren slow rolls in behind 1o-you can bank the 7,or "reposition"
                  cb to top of table.

Comment

lust askin....
                    [ATTACH]8922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8923[/ATTACH]
                    Even though I shoot this shot well and have the gimmick of how to shoot it (or I should say I used to know it well), I think it was a poor decision in this spot when he had so many other options. Larry, when you come up to Chicago I'll give you the stuff Gene Skinner gave to me 40 years ago as to how to best shoot this shot. I was never any sort of famous long-shot maker, but I could make this shot under extreme conditions.

Beard
                    New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                    www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Originally posted by unoperro View Post
                      Envision it-then try it.You might be suprised how often you sell out a bank! Or a chance for Effren to " hit you with a broom".

My idea for banking the 1 does not work as well as I "envisioned" either.
                      No one has mentioned kicking the 7 out towards side pocket on your side of table. Then if Effren slow rolls in behind 1o-you can bank the 7,or "reposition"
                      cb to top of table.
                      Matter of fact Stroud suggested that option but there could be two problems that could arise off the option.

1. You could leave a cross corner return shot with the 7ball.
                      2. There also could be the possibility of playing off the moved 7ball and dropping behind the 10ball.

In either case the 7ball option could easily work against you, not my choice.

Dr. Bill

Comment

i dont like leaving the cue ball on the bottom rail with balls laying all around there. to easy for him to do something you will regret. thats why i like rods shot where you get a chance to make a ball and clean them out if you are still going to be down low.

against most players i would skim off the second ball and come back up table. against a great player you have to make better shots when you have a chance at improving the score as they get out too easily.

Comment

lust askin.... ...
                          WOW! Shannon's cut took nerves of steel and an eagle eye. Grady's gauge on that shot is that if you can see the first diamond from the side pocket outside the cut angle, then the shot can be made without scratching. This one looks borderline; and even so could have very easily messed up.

Still, it was a great shot, but the unusual corner hook was an unfortunate outcome. Otherwise Shannon could have double banked the 2 to his hole (up and back), to put Efren in "check". If Efren then tried something heroic, it could have been "checkmate."

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
                            Even though I shoot this shot well and have the gimmick of how to shoot it (or I should say I used to know it well), I think it was a poor decision in this spot when he had so many other options. Larry, when you come up to Chicago I'll give you the stuff Gene Skinner gave to me 40 years ago as to how to best shoot this shot. I was never any sort of famous long-shot maker, but I could make this shot under extreme conditions.

Beard
                            thanks freddy
                            i really appreciate that
                            larry

Comment

I have seen this match, I think. I think it should be noted in the thread that Shannon won this match, I feel, precisely because he was shooting at, and making, everything. Shooting at everything is an exageration, but you can see from his selection here was wanted to pocket balls in the match, and did just that. It does suit his style. If they get into a cb moving battle, who do you think is going to win that. I think there is a lot to be said about playing to your strengths relative to who you are playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X