2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

billinboston

I haven't read all the posts, or even looked at the existing HOF list lately, but I remember the short one. The cab driver gave Ronnie Allen all he could handle at Janscos in match play, Shorty played the whole table Real well and was a Good 3 cushion player if remember the rumors correctly.

I watched Shorty play dozens of times... Money games, and local tournaments
He was still playing fantastic pool / 3 cushion in the mid-late seventies
I watched him run so many 12s and 13s in 3 cushion that I use to think one of the times he was gonna keep it going and hit a 20! He played some pretty good 9 ball too ! I have seen him make shots in 1 pocket that were dazzling to get out. I have seen him play countless one pocket in the Boston area at 50.00, 100.00 a game and never seen him lose. He was real smooth and cool at the table with a nice slip stroke.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I watched Shorty play dozens of times... Money games, and local tournaments
He was still playing fantastic pool / 3 cushion in the mid-late seventies
I watched him run so many 12s and 13s in 3 cushion that I use to think one of the times he was gonna keep it going and hit a 20! He played some pretty good 9 ball too ! I have seen him make shots in 1 pocket that were dazzling to get out. I have seen him play countless one pocket in the Boston area at 50.00, 100.00 a game and never seen him lose. He was real smooth and cool at the table with a nice slip stroke.

Good to see you back here Bill! I want to hear more if you saw high level One Pocket in Boston, because by the 80's and 90's when I started wandering down there from NH those days seemed to have mostly passed. I missed the Olympia years, and the earlier days when Ingersol, Shorty and Boston Joey were all near their prime. If you were around then, I'd like to hear more!!

billinboston

Shorty

Shorty

Hi Steve
Mostly 1977-1980 range. And it was at the silver cue in Woburn
Or Fenway Billiards on Comm. Ave. or Morrisey bowl in Dorchester
He had great late night games 1-4AM at the Morrisey Bowl playing 1 pocket and 9 ball. His 1 pocket play was so confident that he would open the stack more than he should have... Just to see what kind of play the other guy had in him
You could see what he was doing and he would keep the cue ball just STUCK on a ball facing his pocket. With in 1 or 2 moves more and usually after his opponents mistake, he was opened up enough that he just ran out. He played quite a few guys with a lot of pride that just wanted to keep it going with him
And he would destroy them no matter what. Even when he was playing someone who would pick a Beauty of a combo out of the pack and run say 6 and then leave shorty with little... Or seemingly nothing... Shorty would just go 8 and out so easily and with such nice pattern play ...with the rails too... And that smooth slip stroke....really something to watch

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Hi Steve
Mostly 1977-1980 range. And it was at the silver cue in Woburn
Or Fenway Billiards on Comm. Ave. or Morrisey bowl in Dorchester
He had great late night games 1-4AM at the Morrisey Bowl playing 1 pocket and 9 ball. His 1 pocket play was so confident that he would open the stack more than he should have... Just to see what kind of play the other guy had in him
You could see what he was doing and he would keep the cue ball just STUCK on a ball facing his pocket. With in 1 or 2 moves more and usually after his opponents mistake, he was opened up enough that he just ran out. He played quite a few guys with a lot of pride that just wanted to keep it going with him
And he would destroy them no matter what. Even when he was playing someone who would pick a Beauty of a combo out of the pack and run say 6 and then leave shorty with little... Or seemingly nothing... Shorty would just go 8 and out so easily and with such nice pattern play ...with the rails too... And that smooth slip stroke....really something to watch

Thanks Bill. I was playing mostly 9-ball (shudder) then, having not been introduced to One Pocket up in NH at that point. I did get to play Shorty some One Pocket in the 90's, but only a couple times, and yes, he toyed with me, lol. I got to play quite a bit with Ingersol though, for a couple of years early 90's. Ingie was getting pretty old, but he knew all the moves, which was perfect for me at the time!!

billinboston

Shorty

Shorty

I always wanted to know and never asked, what kind of cue he used
In the 90's he was sponsored by Viking or Samsara
But seventies and early 80's he had this really sharp cue with a black leather wrap and a good amount of mother of pearl inlays. It might have been an earlier viking or a Palmer, but it was sharp !
Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I always wanted to know and never asked, what kind of cue he used
In the 90's he was sponsored by Viking or Samsara
But seventies and early 80's he had this really sharp cue with a black leather wrap and a good amount of mother of pearl inlays. It might have been an earlier viking or a Palmer, but it was sharp !
Bill

I think he used a pretty simple Rambo for many years. It looked like the kind of Willie Hoppe full-splice points you see many cue makers use for conversions.