2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Im a nobody but....a really good pool player said his best friend was Blackie and he was an incredible One Pocket player.

NY Blackie

Who of the people that everyone has nominationed could beat him?

Ken

It wasn't Buddy Hall was it??

RedCard

Verified Member
🎱

🎱

It wasn't Buddy Hall was it??

He was here for a tournament or something at Nick Varner's room back in the early '90s. Some guy came up to the bar and introduced himself and Buddy looked at him, stuck out his hand and said, 'Buddy Hall, Best of 'Em All'.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Im a nobody but....a really good pool player said his best friend was Blackie and he was an incredible One Pocket player.

NY Blackie

Who of the people that everyone has nominationed could beat him?

Ken

Probably all of them. Blackie was a great 9 ball player, Onepocket was his worst game.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It aint like Johnny and I were enemies. When he came to Chicago we would hang out together. We were good friends and he owes me as much as probably anybody else.:lol Johnny was a great pool player, but I can honestly say, and for whatever reason, I never seen him play a game of Onepocket with a good player for good money.
I am not knocking him, I am just trying to maintain the integrity of the Hall of Fame. I could certainly see him being elected, but not before the likes of Hubert Cokes or Clem Metz, or even my mentor Gene Skinner (the only man to beat Mosconi playing Onepocket), and what about Marcel Camp?

Beard
Great picture of you and Ervolino, Fred. Damn! You look all sparkly, like a network anchor man!:)

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
didnt jimmy reid play one pocket.

Almost everybody 'tried' to play one pocket in those day's..Jimmy's head was never shaped right for anything but 9 ball, and he played that pretty damn sporty !

You can count on one or two finger's, the top 9 baller's who played REALLY jam-up one pocket too !..I would say Jimmy played one pocket, about even with St. Louis Louie !..Neither one could be bothered with trying to learn any game that lacked the "wow" factor, cause dats where all da choice groupie's were, dammit !..(right Dr. Bill ?) ;) :p

SJD

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
:eek:
Almost everybody 'tried' to play one pocket in those day's..Jimmy's head was never shaped right for anything but 9 ball, and he played that pretty damn sporty !

You can count on one or two finger's, the top 9 baller's who played REALLY jam-up one pocket too !..I would say Jimmy played one pocket, about even with St. Louis Louie !..Neither one could be bothered with trying to learn any game that lacked the "wow" factor, cause dats where all da choice groupie's were, dammit !..(right Dr. Bill ?) ;) :p

SJD

Not very many top players played a lot[/B of one pocket back then, but they did play it some. From the early 70's through to the late 90's players like Wade Crane, Larry Hubbard, Jimmy Marino, Jimmy Rempe, Louie Roberts, Buddy Hall, Mike Sigel, Cole Dickson, Keith Mc Creedy Jimmy Mataya, Larry Lisciotti, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy Reid, Varner, Cook, Fusco, and myself and a few others played mostly nine ball. I would say that during that era Cook, Fusco, and Varner played the best, followed by Mizerak. Reid and myself played pretty close but I started to play better in the 90's. However, the players that came before them played much more one pocket. Players like Eddie Kelly, Jack Breit, Strawberry, Cornbread, DiLiberto, Ronnie Allen, Shorty, Eddie Taylor, Weenie Beenie, Richie Florence, Bugs, Artie B., SJD, Freddie B., Johnny Ervolino, Grady Mathews, (even though he is my age and came a slight bit later than the 2nd. group, and a few others.

Starting around the mid 90's one pocket started to really take off. There was this young player by the name of Daulton that started to beat everyone, Joyner included (they say) Of course by then Reyes was playing well and beating everyone, yes, players like Hopkins..Joyner...Mathews...were all getting a spot from "The Magician" through the early 90's to 2013 :D:sorry

I'm sure Freddie can tweak my guessing on the years everything took place.:eek: But that's my recollection of things, for those who may be interested.

Now everyone is playing one pocket, but wasn't it inevitable?:heh One Pocket is the best game played on a pool table...by leaps and bounds. Now everyone is a one pocket "genius" ISN'T THAT RIGHT PEACE!!...........

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Not very many top players played a lot[/B of one pocket back then, but they did play it some. From the early 70's through to the late 90's players like Wade Crane, Larry Hubbard, Jimmy Marino, Jimmy Rempe, Louie Roberts, Buddy Hall, Mike Sigel, Cole Dickson, Keith Mc Creedy Jimmy Mataya, Larry Lisciotti, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy Reid, Varner, Cook, Fusco, and myself and a few others played mostly nine ball. I would say that during that era Cook, Fusco, and Varner played the best, followed by Mizerak. Reid and myself played pretty close but I started to play better in the 90's. However, the players that came before them played much more one pocket. Players like Eddie Kelly, Jack Breit, Strawberry, Cornbread, DiLiberto, Ronnie Allen, Shorty, Eddie Taylor, Weenie Beenie, Richie Florence, Bugs, Artie B., SJD, Freddie B., Johnny Ervolino, Grady Mathews, (even though he is my age and came a slight bit later than the 2nd. group, and a few others.

Starting around the mid 90's one pocket started to really take off. There was this young player by the name of Daulton that started to beat everyone, Joyner included (they say) Of course by then Reyes was playing well and beating everyone, yes, players like Hopkins..Joyner...Mathews...were all getting a spot from "The Magician" through the early 90's to 2013 :D:sorry

I'm sure Freddie can tweak my guessing on the years everything took place.:eek: But that's my recollection of things, for those who may be interested.

Now everyone is playing one pocket, but wasn't it inevitable?:heh One Pocket is the best game played on a pool table...by leaps and bounds. Now everyone is a one pocket "genius" ISN'T THAT RIGHT PEACE!!...........

Dr. Bill

That sounds about right. What might be confusing, is that all those 9 ballers were very dangerous in a short set, like a tournament match, but stretched out their inexperience would show up. Rempe even won a big One pocket tournament once.

Jimmy Reid's One pocket game was also very overrated. He got broke in Detroit trying to give California Johnny 8 to 7. He lost about 20 games, maybe more, $100 a game. He had seen me rob John giving him 9 to 8 the week before, and an overestimation of self induced him to try and spot John more than I had. In the meantime, I knew Jimmy's real speed, and I knew he was in a trap, but there was no pulling Jimmy up.

9 Ball, 10 Ball, Pay Ball? Those were pool balls of another color. It was best to leave him alone in those games.

Cardone was probably the only hot shot 9 ball player that made an honest attempt to convert to One pocket.

Beard

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
That sounds about right. What might be confusing, is that all those 9 ballers were very dangerous in a short set, like a tournament match, but stretched out their inexperience would show up. Rempe even won a big One pocket tournament once.

Jimmy Reid's One pocket game was also very overrated. He got broke in Detroit trying to give California Johnny 8 to 7. He lost about 20 games, maybe more, $100 a game. He had seen me rob John giving him 9 to 8 the week before, and an overestimation of self induced him to try and spot John more than I had. In the meantime, I knew Jimmy's real speed, and I knew he was in a trap, but there was no pulling Jimmy up.

9 Ball, 10 Ball, Pay Ball? Those were pool balls of another color. It was best to leave him alone in those games.

Cardone was probably the only hot shot 9 ball player that made an honest attempt to convert to One pocket.

Beard

Jimmy Fusco made a pretty good transition.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That sounds about right. What might be confusing, is that all those 9 ballers were very dangerous in a short set, like a tournament match, but stretched out their inexperience would show up. Rempe even won a big One pocket tournament once. ... Beard

Yes, that is surprising. Rempe won the 1971 Johnston City one-pocket division. Marino won the 9-ball (and the All Around), Lassiter the straight pool. Rempe must have run 8 and out on everybody!;) Parenthetically, Cardone won the '72 Johnston City 9-ball.

It was 20 years later that Fusco put that devastating 5-0 whupping on Rempe at the '91 Legends. I always wondered if Rempe played another game of 1P after that.:(

I guess King James retired from pool a few years back. He sure was a pleasure to watch. He had excellent mechanics and a very determined attitude. I haven't seen him since the 2000 Seniors in Biloxi.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Yes, that is surprising. Rempe won the 1971 Johnston City one-pocket division. Marino won the 9-ball (and the All Around), Lassiter the straight pool. Rempe must have run 8 and out on everybody!;) Parenthetically, Cardone won the '72 Johnston City 9-ball.

It was 20 years later that Fusco put that devastating 5-0 whupping on Rempe at the '91 Legends. I always wondered if Rempe played another game of 1P after that.:(

I guess King James retired from pool a few years back. He sure was a pleasure to watch. He had excellent mechanics and a very determined attitude. I haven't seen him since the 2000 Seniors in Biloxi.

Doc

Hal Mix, long time instructor and advisor to Nick Varner among others, hated Rempe's spread eagle stance. He said it was only good for taking a leak and not getting any on your shoes.

Rempe seemed to do ok with it.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member

SJD

Well Dick -

I am learning from another site that learning 2 shot pushout 9 ball is much harder to master than one pocket. :rolleyes:

I have never seen 2 shot pushout 9 ball actually played, but I always thought one pocket was the toughest game....

Oh well, 49 years old and still learning. :frus

Ken

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

So basically you are saying the majority of players up until the 1990's didnt know what frigging hole they were shooting at playing one pocket.. I applaud you for admitting that Billy... If some others would admit it maybe these Hall of Fames wouldn't be as watered down as skim milk.. Every year this voting turns into a jerk each other off buddy system... Do you know what sport has the fairest Hall of Fame?.... The LPGA you win 30 tournaments and your in.. In other words YOU EARN IT.. You don't have people drumming up votes for guys who didn't know which hole was theirs, and then later regretting and bringing down the standard of the Hall of Fame... What a joke this is

backplaying

Verified Member
didnt jimmy reid play one pocket.

Jimmy played everything pretty sporty. He was the best 8 ball player I had ever seen. I watched Keith and Jimmy playing 10 ball at Buddy's in Jackson, MS in the 80's, and Jimmy was 6 games up after several hours, when I went to the room. Jimmy was one of the few players I knew back then that liked 10 ball over 9 ball. He thought he could out move them better.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hal Mix, long time instructor and advisor to Nick Varner among others, hated Rempe's spread eagle stance. He said it was only good for taking a leak and not getting any on your shoes.

Rempe seemed to do ok with it.
Ha! That's a good one.:D Hal had a great sense of humor. I went up to Salem around 1996 to take a lesson from him. I was surprised how well he still hit the balls at 86!

You're right that he advised Nick Varner. Did you know also that Tinsley Johnson went up to study with Hal? After that he started play better, to where he even beat Moro once!:cool::p

Doc