2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Smith View Post
    Read what I said, "he has done a lot for the game", where did I say anything else?
    I read and fully comprehended what you said. You said put all the old timers in but you didn't say why or where to put them so I assumed you meant as players.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
      I was thinkin' the same thing, especially bank pool players.
      Great minds, Bill. Also, the older and deceased players are probably less recognized by a lot of the voters giving the current players an undeserved advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
        I would like to put forward Jack Hill in the "promoters of the game" category. He invented One-Pocket by all accounts and he should be first on the list.

According to Fats's book Hill taught Hubert Cokes how to play and then taught Fats.

I would also second Hubert Cokes but I don't know which category he belongs in. I've never heard that he was a top player but he bet high and was involved in many aspects of the game. I'm thinking "after-hours player" would be the right place.

Dennis
        ah yes!! i was wondering who should take the blame for all the hairs ive pulled out playing this game--now i know......

Comment

I seriously doubt that Freddy would agree that he should be in the One-Pocket HOF as a player.

Freddy loves the game and loves Banks also and played them both fairly sporty from everything I've ever heard or read but get real.

Dennis
          While I have deemed myself ineligible for nomination, the ham in me must still set the record straight.

1 pkt Hall of Famers playing dead even:
          Artie Bodendorfer, I would beat him even about 1 out of every 6 tries.
          Steve Cook, beat him a few games even on table 24 in Bensingers. He did not return.
          Grady, gave him 2 serious beatings even, once on table 24 and a $600 thrashing a the 4 B's club for 30, 40 and 50 a game.
          Bugs Rucker, beat him for $420 at $30 a game when he was betting his own on table 24 and the 5 x 10 table 13 at Bensingers.
          Marvin Henderson, 30 a game on the 5 x 10 Bensingers. He was short money.
          Varner, a few times before he sold his soul to the devil.
          Efren and Parica, while they were learning 1pkt.
          Incardona, one out of every 4 or 5 outings, but I once beat him at the 4 B's club on the 5 x 10 giving him 9 to 8.
          Strawberry Brooks, $2,500 at the Billiard Cafe and $10,000 at Bob Agins South Side pool room.

Shannon Daulton - broke even for $100 a game after he won the Childress 1pkt tourn.

Future Hall of Famer - Cliff Joyner, $1200 at $200 a game at the Billiard Cafe.

Now that is real fellas, but I still modestly wish to remove my name from consideration.

Beard
          New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
          www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
            While I have deemed myself ineligible for nomination, the ham in me must still set the record straight.

1 pkt Hall of Famers playing dead even:
            Artie Bodendorfer, I would beat him even about 1 out of every 6 tries.
            Steve Cook, beat him a few games even on table 24 in Bensingers. He did not return.
            Grady, gave him 2 serious beatings even, once on table 24 and a $600 thrashing a the 4 B's club for 30, 40 and 50 a game.
            Bugs Rucker, beat him for $420 at $30 a game when he was betting his own on table 24 and the 5 x 10 table 13 at Bensingers.
            Marvin Henderson, 30 a game on the 5 x 10 Bensingers. He was short money.
            Varner, a few times before he sold his soul to the devil.
            Efren and Parica, while they were learning 1pkt.
            Incardona, one out of every 4 or 5 outings, but I once beat him at the 4 B's club on the 5 x 10 giving him 9 to 8.
            Strawberry Brooks, $2,500 at the Billiard Cafe and $10,000 at Bob Agins South Side pool room.

Shannon Daulton - broke even for $100 a game after he won the Childress 1pkt tourn.

Future Hall of Famer - Cliff Joyner, $1200 at $200 a game at the Billiard Cafe.

Now that is real fellas, but I still modestly wish to remove my name from consideration.

Beard
            Oh Freddy, you know it's not fair playing Bugs when he's betting his own, not fair at all. And playing AB for $3 a game doesn't count either

Your incredible modesty does mostly shine through though

P.S. What do you think about Jack Hill, the inventor of the game?

Dennis

Comment

Oh Freddy, you know it's not fair playing Bugs when he's betting his own, not fair at all. And playing AB for $3 a game doesn't count either

Dennis
              Artie and I did play a lot of 3, 5, and 10 a game, but we did play a few times for $100 a game, I beat him once at that with Al Fuss staking him, and he left me alone for about 6 months until I came back to my "senses."

I should put up the out-shot that I put on him for the C-note, it became one of Jersey Reds trick shots. The object ball is on the short rail right next to his pocket, the cue ball is frozen on the long rail, same side, about a diamond away from his pocket. I shot into the right pocket facing with right hand draw, the cue ball bounced back to the other facing, rebounded, and then shot the object ball straight into my pocket without scratching. Artie and Al Fuss howled like banshee's. Of course the score was 7 zip my favor with all the balls up table when I tried it.

Bugs. That was the one and only recorded instance of Bugs betting his own. Really. Two weeks later he returned, with a plethora of Backers this time, and gave me 9 to 8 and 2 out of 3 breaks and robbed me.

I heard the same things about Jack Hill. The key thing is that Lingo looked up to him. I know that One pocket originated in Oklahoma. The founder of the game should get some permanent recognition of some form, like the BCA did when they inducted the ball guy,Hyatt, who had been dead 100 years.

Beard

Comment

Dennis
                Did he say modesty???????

Comment

Originally posted by sappo View Post
                  Did he say modesty???????
                  He certainly cant be talking about me!

Beard

You see, the problem is that I am the fella telling all the stories about all the other old players, but dere aint nobuddy besides me self telling stories about me!

Comment

Joey Spaeth

I'd like to see Joey Spaeth inducted this year before he's forgotten!

Sherm
                    Just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Cues
                    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

• Originally posted by cuesmith View Post
                      I'd like to see Joey Spaeth inducted this year before he's forgotten!

Sherm
                      He certainly deserves consideration.

Beard

Comment

• Originally posted by RedCard View Post
                        Hubert Cokes isn't going to like being passed over again. Things like his induction should be done by fiat rather than popular vote. These matters can't be left to the masses to decide.
                        I agree with that statement not only about Cokes but many others. It's not like one pocket hall of fame has been around for fifty years, it's in its infancy and such should recognize players from yesteryear. It would be like starting a hall of fame out thirty years from now and not having Fred as a nominee year after year and no one remembering him for his banks. Refresh my memory, was it banks or ten ball, getting old. Recognize an extra two three a year. It doesn't have to be a wholesale induction. I keep wanting Bob Bowles for the banks but so very few remember what a great player he was. A teacher and a nice man, a credit to the game. His running mate for years was Eddie Taylor and Eddie didn't run with slouches. Multiple fiat inductions have my vote. Three max per year for a certain number of years.
                        Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

Comment

• Originally posted by onepocket View Post
                          Yes it depends on knowing that you are a real person -- either by sufficient posting reputation or by direct contact or by a valid referral, or maybe they bought something or contributed toward a raffle, etc. You do not have to be someone special -- ordinary players are okay too.

Anyone who would like to upgrade should contact me.
                          I thought you had to know somebody that knew someone that knew someone else who was friend of a cousin that dated a sister in high school?
                          Have I been deleted now?

Comment

• Just for the hell of it

Since I read his book
                            Steve (the lizard) Smith)

Comment

• Originally posted by wgcp View Post
                              John Henderson... he promotes the game... publishes a great pool magazine... and will match up with anyone...

Bille
                              I second that nomination instead of nominating him year after year. My reasons are these, he is and has been one of the top players on the West coast for nearly half a century.
                              He will play anyone for the cheese
                              He is the quiescent gentleman of the game, up or down
                              He will teach anyone, for thirty a game
                              He is a great ambassador to the game of one pocket
                              He knows one pocket as it should be played and he plays it that way
                              He is my friend and is very much admired and appreciated by all who know him
                              Thank you Col for nominating him

Comment

• Originally posted by suki View Post
                                Since I read his book
                                Steve (the lizard) Smith)
                                He's in Santa Cruz and can't escape the beach

Comment

Working...
                                X