2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last nine years we have elected twenty-eight well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Jack Cooney * Shannon Daulton * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Jimmy Fusco * Cecil 'Buddy' Hall * Marvin Henderson * Allen Hopkins * Billy Incardona * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * 'San Jose Dick' McMorran * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Jose Parica * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 10th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 28, 2014 during the 16th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, we reserve the right to limit voting to “Verified Members” only. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message to me, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; I would think that everyone here either has questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Now that he's retired, What about Scott "The Freezer" Frost.

He's been around a long time and was considered the best in the world for a while.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I think Little Al Romero should get strong consideration, if for nothing else than because he does NOT seek out the limelight. In my estimation, he is a real pool player, and perfectly represents what a HOF member should embody. He's not a big talker (big positive for me), he plays probably more than people even know, he loves the game and has spent his life around it, and I have never seen him once get out of line or lose his temper. We could do no better than to add a player like him.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I think Little Al Romero should get strong consideration, if for nothing else than because he does NOT seek out the limelight. In my estimation, he is a real pool player, and perfectly represents what a HOF member should embody. He's not a big talker (big positive for me), he plays probably more than people even know, he loves the game and has spent his life around it, and I have never seen him once get out of line or lose his temper. We could do no better than to add a player like him.

Little Al is okey dokey with me.

Beard

RedCard

Verified Member
Cokes

Cokes

Hubert Cokes isn't going to like being passed over again. Things like his induction should be done by fiat rather than popular vote. These matters can't be left to the masses to decide.

Attachments

• GreatHumanitarian.jpg
    GreatHumanitarian.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 0

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hubert Cokes isn't going to like being passed over again. Things like his induction should be done by fiat rather than popular vote. These matters can't be left to the masses to decide.

Nothing wrong with a nomination for Cokes. I will repeat what I saw him do for big money at Johnston City. He was playing his customer 8 or no count! The last time I posted my observation it was insubstantially disputed. I am going to try it again anyway.

Beard

RedCard

Verified Member
Cokes Nomination

Cokes Nomination

Nothing wrong with a nomination for Cokes. I will repeat what I saw him do for big money at Johnston City. He was playing his customer 8 or no count! The last time I posted my observation it was insubstantially disputed. I am going to try it again anyway.

Beard

He gave several people that game at the Elks in Evansville through the years. I was up there once with a buddy who shot real straight. He had the effrontery to ask Hubert for a spot playing nine ball. Terry was about my age, 21 or so, and Cokes was in his seventies. He gruffly dismissed the request with 'when I was your age I spotted many of 'em'. I was secretly hoping he'd go ahead and shoot Terry.

As evidenced in the picture above, Hubert was also a great humanitarian.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
never mind just saw I'm not verified

That's for voting. You can still post whatever you want to say and maybe sway other voters. You can also pm Steve state why you should be verified.. Some of the folks who are verified only have a handful of posts.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
That's for voting. You can still post whatever you want to say and maybe sway other voters. You can also pm Steve state why you should be verified.. Some of the folks who are verified only have a handful of posts.
Yes it depends on knowing that you are a real person -- either by sufficient posting reputation or by direct contact or by a valid referral, or maybe they bought something or contributed toward a raffle, etc. You do not have to be someone special -- ordinary players are okay too.

Anyone who would like to upgrade should contact me.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I nominate

I nominate

John Henderson... he promotes the game... publishes a great pool magazine... and will match up with anyone...

Bille

backplaying

Verified Member
John Henderson... he promotes the game... publishes a great pool magazine... and will match up with anyone...

Bille

If pool had a few thousand more Johns, it would be in a very good state. I sure like the idea that people can be selected for what they have done for the game, without ever being a top player.

backplaying

Verified Member
I also hope that people like Jay Helfert can one day also make the hall of fame in some category. He has been in the pool world for many years and has done a lot for the game. I think he has showed that no one has loved the game more than he has. I personally don't see how Cliff can't be the number one nomination, when you consider the level he's played at and continues to play at a top level.. I think he was the best American one pocket player for many years.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Cliff Joyner should be highly considered ... despite personal habits :)

Steve Booth for his web site, insight, and knowledge

Freddy the Beard - playing ability, author

just to throw out a few names

pooladdiction

From
Joliet, IL
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I know I haven't posted here much yet.
My opinion is that Scott Frost really deserves it. He is still one of the most feared one hole players in the country and until perhaps recently was always in action

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA

Thanks Tyler, I agree wholeheartedly.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Johnny Ervolino for One Pocket.. For him to not be in there already is criminal.. For the record he knew more about one pocket and more shots and strategy and more about the stack than ANYONE who posts on this forum PERIOD and it isn't even close.. Forget all the bullshit stories you hear on here about how they beat him. Johnny forgot more about the game than any of these guys will ever know if they live to be 120 years old.