Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winning One pocket Eddie Robin First or Second edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by lll View Post
    i think we should wait to hear from piggybanks04
    before we say how we would do it
    jmho
    icbw
    lll,

    Guess away Larry. This is not a WWYD thread, just wanted to illustrate to PB04 one of the "groundbreaking" (whatever that means) shots in W.O.P.

    Dennis

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
      lll,

      Guess away Larry. This is not a WWYD thread, just wanted to illustrate to PB04 one of the "groundbreaking" (whatever that means) shots in W.O.P.

      Dennis
      i thought since pg04 seems to know everything and can execute all of his intentions and doesnt think either of ediies books would teach him anything we should hear from the master without any "hints " from us
      just sayin'
      no offence intended

      Comment


      • #18
        The layout of those books also makes them entertaining, because they are set up so on one page you see the before situation, and then on the next page you see what the player actually shot -- usually as described by the shooter, but commented on by the five or six player legends that are credited throughout each book. Because of that format, you can look at the problem and try to figure out your own solution before you peek -- much like our WWYD's. Then you can look at their solution and read the expert comments -- some of which generally agree and others that had different ideas. The diagrams are top notch too. You cannot help but learn. Compared to professional lessons, the books even now are a great value.
        "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
        -- Strawberry Brooks

        Comment


        • #19
          If Piggy wants to know, he'll have to unass the geld. If he doesn't he's welcome to his ignorance. Or maybe he's already better than Steve Cook, Weenie Beany, Jack Breit, Boston Shortie and the other contributors to the book.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by petie View Post
            If Piggy wants to know, he'll have to unass the geld. If he doesn't he's welcome to his ignorance. Or maybe he's already better than Steve Cook, Weenie Beany, Jack Breit, Boston Shortie and the other contributors to the book.
            you are misunderstanding my position--again, i just dont see any mind blowing contributions to the wwyds from people that have read this book--aside from efren and shannon, frost and joyner, theres not a lot of creative ideas floating around ......hence my questions...... again, not trying to be a smartass, im here to learn and share......btw, i do plan on looking thru the books to decide for myself--if the info is as good as some people say,then i'll buy one.......

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by piggybank04 View Post
              you are misunderstanding my position--again, i just dont see any mind blowing contributions to the wwyds from people that have read this book--aside from efren and shannon, frost and joyner, theres not a lot of creative ideas floating around ......hence my questions...... again, not trying to be a smartass, im here to learn and share......btw, i do plan on looking thru the books to decide for myself--if the info is as good as some people say,then i'll buy one.......
              PB,

              If you would just ask a cogent question maybe you'd get better answers. I don't know exactly what you are asking. Get to the point already.

              The reason you don't see mind-blowing contributions from people that have read this book is that Eddie Robin owns the copyright to this book and, generally speaking, we aren't supposed to post layouts attributed to WOP here. If we did and didn't credit it to WOP you wouldn't know it came from WOP anyway.

              What do you expect to see? Many of the shots & layouts in WOP and SM&S come from gambling situations where a player has more leeway to shoot an outrageous shot to run out. If he loses he can always play another. In tournament play, racing to 3 usually, that leeway is not there so you don't see as many fantastic shots and outs. Not only that but these things don't exactly happen everyday, they were collected over years and from the memories of players also.

              I hope I answered at least 1 or 2 of your questions for you.

              P.S. Did you read post #12?

              Dennis

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
                Is this original enough for you? Jack Breit ran 4 & out playing Ronnie Allen from this position. Maybe you can figure out how he did it.


                [ATTACH]9053[/ATTACH]
                My guess is that he shot the 10 ball 2 rails to his pocket stopping the CB. Then shot the 4 into his hole drawing the CB back into the 9 ball making it in the side pocket. Then he banks the 11 ball up table to his pocket where he spots the 9 from the side pocket and shoots it into his pocket. Am I close?
                Sherm
                Just more hot air!


                Sherm

                Sherm Custom Cues
                Cincinnati, Ohio

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
                  John,

                  I'm not running a WWYD thread here but how in the heck would you make the 9 after the 4? If you two-railed the 10, made the 4 and drew back to make the 9 in the side it wouldn't spot up until you made the 11.

                  Dennis
                  I am one railing the ten and knocking the 9 downtable for some kind of shot after the four.

                  I am interested in what he really did.
                  JOHN HENDERSON
                  Al Romero Cue
                  Magic Chalk

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by cuesmith View Post
                    My guess is that he shot the 10 ball 2 rails to his pocket stopping the CB. Then shot the 4 into his hole drawing the CB back into the 9 ball making it in the side pocket. Then he banks the 11 ball up table to his pocket where he spots the 9 from the side pocket and shoots it into his pocket. Am I close?
                    Sherm
                    About as close as Alpha Centauri.

                    RBL

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      finally got a hold of the books--not bad--most of whats in there i knew--wouldnt waste the money on them.......main value to me is in its scarcity.......

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think Eddie Robin wanted very much to publish books of good craft showing how the best players up to that time played one pocket in the real world of tough and meaningful competition. The sport at that time had both the solid clever safety players working up extraordinary traps, and the go-for-it Ronnie Allen power-one-pocket style players knocking balls toward their hole, taking risks, and using their shotmaking skills to get out from nowhere.

                        ER's tough analytical side maybe expected too much of his audience in terms of how much time and effort they would spend on his books. Some case studies can be difficult for the uninitiated, and some examples too easy for those with wide experience.

                        But he included many interesting sidebars, alternate shots, and stories and criticisms of and by famous players. If the technology of the time had permitted, I've no doubt he would have included companion DVDs - with matches and interviews and shot demonstrations and lessons. These books are a sort of Q&A instructional video before DVDs were available, in paper book format, with enough effective criticism to keep the book honest, and sidebars and stories to retain interest and enhance the content for most pool players. But they are a form of textbook with all the study time that entails.

                        As to which is more valuable, the early uncorrected version, the uncorrected version with errata sheets, or the revised second edition, I would go with the second edition. If ever they become pure high-dollar collectibles that could change since I think one version is more scarce than the other.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by piggybank04 View Post
                          finally got a hold of the books--not bad--most of whats in there i knew--wouldnt waste the money on them.......main value to me is in its scarcity.......
                          Well, I guess you now know what Breit shot. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by jp123 View Post
                            Good Morning Everyone. For Winning One pocket Eddie Robin, is the First edition more valuable than the Second edition?

                            You always want the original, the 1st edition, mistakes and all.

                            Lou Figueroa

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              This may have been said before, but the second edition of Winning One Pocket had a lot of revisions -- not just the correction of all the print format errors that messed up the fractions, etc. The second edition has almost a whole extra chapter of writing too. For years I had only the first edition (with errata sheets). My first edition is not so valuable anyway because my dog when still a pup was apparently missing me one day and did a little chewing on the edges of that book only. No doubt she could tell I had handled the book a great deal, so it was as close to me as she could get, lol.

                              So for investment value the first edition in great condition would be better but the second edition is definitely a better education value.
                              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                              -- Strawberry Brooks

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                ok smartass---im in toledo, when u want to match up........no more talk--just me taking your money.......

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X