Serious rule opinions saught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious rule opinions saught

At the pool hall the other day I was telling a guy who was new to One Pocket that in OP only, not in other games, when shooting from the kitchen, an object ball had to be all the way over the line in order to shoot at it. That is, in all other games you use "base of ball" over the line but in OP you use "back of ball" over the line. This is the way I was taught and have played it for many years without a challenge but the other day a new-to-OP straight pool player said it should be "base of ball."

The room owner who is also a straight pool player agreed with him saying that the only place where they played "back of ball" was at DCC.

I believe "back of ball" is a far better way to go because it would eliminate a lot of arguments. It is much easier to see on a close call especially when the stakes are high as they often are in OP.

What say you?

If you're looking for a written rule, the WPA General Rules state:

8.13 Position of Balls
    The position of a ball is determined by the projection of its center vertically downward onto the playing surface. A ball is said to be placed on a line or spot when its center is placed directly over that line or spot.

If you're looking for an opinion, I can argue back of ball just as well as center of ball. Any one who'd argue one will argue the other.
    "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown

Comment

Base or back of ball

I understand the discrepancy. Base of the ball can be hard to tell when it is close. But back of the ball is really easy to tell if it is on the head string or clear of it.

Just for the sake of arguments I would think they change the rule to the ball has to be completely outside of the kitchen.

Comment

Who cares ? Agree before you start.
        Rod.
        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

[QUOTE=androd;126750]Who cares ? Agree before you start.
          Rod.[/QUOTE

I would just like to preserve the integrity of the game. Face it, base of ball was probably developed for straight pool. And are you saying that base of ball also applies to the cue ball? Couldn't that be sticky? Am I the only one that was taught back of ball for One Pocket? Would you like to be playing base of ball for $10,000?

Comment

Originally posted by Petie
            I would just like to preserve the integrity of the game. Face it, base of ball was probably developed for straight pool. And are you saying that base of ball also applies to the cue ball? Couldn't that be sticky? Am I the only one that was taught back of ball for One Pocket? Would you like to be playing base of ball for $10,000?
            Only playing you.
            Rod.
            Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

I know they used to play "whole ball" years ago, but I think the rule changed in the 80's to "base of ball".

I'm no expert on rules, maybe somebody can quote the rule book for this one?
              Chris P.

Comment

thats what happens when players try to put tournament rules into the pool room. you dont play by strict tournament rules when you play golf with people. if you did you would end up playing alone.

Comment

Always played whole ball behind head string for reason(s) mentioned. Its easier to see than the center of the ball. This being said, one better let the other player know he is ahead of the line before he takes his shot or there will be an argument. I agree setting the rules before the game is best, but the guys I play here in Milwaukee take it for granted that "in the kitchen" means "all the way in the kitchen" fir One Pocket.

Comment

Wouldn't life be simpler for everyone to simply learn and agree to play by the One-Pocket.org rules? Which include WPA rules, for anything not specifically covered in our one pocket rules.

I'm pretty sure Steve asked for suggested rule changes a while back and got only a small amount of interest. I don't really care one way or the other (I'm in the geezer category that started playing when it was the whole ball for ALL games) but to cut down on arguments and hour long negotiations I'd sure like to have a standardized set of rules.

FWIW, by my nature I'm really reluctant to agree to any deviation from written standardized rules that might be suggested by a potential opponent. Usually there's a reason it's important to them.
                    "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown

Comment

Originally posted by androd View Post
                      Only playing you.
                      Rod.
                      If you ever see me playing for $10,000, you'll know I hit the Lotto.

Comment

Originally posted by androd View Post
                        Who cares ? Agree before you start.
                        Rod.
                        I think we should care, because it would obviously be nice to have one, universal agreed upon rule, without all the ambiguity. Wouldn't it?

I agree with the op btw in that it is easier to judge if it is the "back of the ball." For me, this is reason enough for us to solidy make that the rule. There really is no drawback to just making the rule "entire ball must be over". There are only positives.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary View Post
                          Wouldn't life be simpler for everyone to simply learn and agree to play by the One-Pocket.org rules? Which include WPA rules, for anything not specifically covered in our one pocket rules.

I'm pretty sure Steve asked for suggested rule changes a while back and got only a small amount of interest. I don't really care one way or the other (I'm in the geezer category that started playing when it was the whole ball for ALL games) but to cut down on arguments and hour long negotiations I'd sure like to have a standardized set of rules.

FWIW, by my nature I'm really reluctant to agree to any deviation from written standardized rules that might be suggested by a potential opponent. Usually there's a reason it's important to them.
                          I haven't read the complete rules on our website--only ones that pertain to certain question or other that come up. I would like to suggest an addition of this "back of ball" rule. Otherwise, we will have every league player in the country changing what has been the way we play for years.

Comment

Serious rule opinions saught

The room owner nailed it. Far as I know Derby city is the only major tournament that goes by the whole ball not the base of the ball

House rules can be a different story altogether of course
                            "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                            -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

I say, How we playing, they say OB's touching it's in. I say CB touching it's out.
                              They say HUH ?
                              Rod.
                              P.S. Again I say who cares ? no difference.
                              Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Working...
                              X