nevel/owen...wwyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
    Ah, so... That does make a difference. Now that I'm oriented to the correct end of the table, I'd thin off the 6 and roll the CB down towards the opponent's pocket.

Nevel is a shooter, though. and since he's down 6-2 he might take a punch at the 6 ball. The only other guys who would choose a low percentage shot like that are Benny Conway, Jr., Keith McCready, and Rob Melrose.

Doc
    LOL that was a pretty good comeback.. man you got me there Doc.. oh by the way DOC...... ITS GABES SHOT NOT NEVELS.. LOL.... HOLY SHIT.. OK YOU ARE ON 2, YOU MAY BE THE FIRST GUY IN HISTORY TO GET 3 FOULED IN A WWYD.... LMFAO

Comment

I think the response to this situation depends a great deal on exactly where in relation the six ball is to the side pocket. If I can shoot the six without risk of the side pocket point, that's my shot. If that is not possible I like the Hacker's choice here.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Let me point out something to people on here who havent ever played guys like Nevel or Gabes speed before. These guys are great players and although Gabe is a great mover if you show any signs of weakness or your afraid to shoot, these guys become offensive animals. These guys love to dictate the game to you. Once you show them that you are not scared to shoot the 6 ball and try to win the game even if you miss it puts them back on their heels a little because now they know they cant just do anything they want... If I was playing someone who plays a few balls under these guys then I would definitely thin the 6 ball over to my side rail and drop the cue ball to the end rail.
        P.S. I beat Corey Duell, Nick Varner and Buddy Hall back to back to back to be king of the hill in a one pocket tournament.... I didnt do it by playing scared.. I SHOT THEIR ****ING NUTS OFF
        Last edited by onepockethacker; 04-03-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
          I think the response to this situation depends a great deal on exactly where in relation the six ball is to the side pocket. If I can shoot the six without risk of the side pocket point, that's my shot. If that is not possible I like the Hacker's choice here.

Tom
          Tom, the way I see the 6ball (and I set it up at home) it's a scratch in the side. However, you can elevate and shoot the six but you have to draw the cue ball with a good stroke which would then make it difficult to fall good on the stripe for the bank. The shot to me is too intimidating and even the best shot makers would be a 2/1 dog to pocket the ball. ...the way I see it.

The safety shooting off the inside of the 6ball is a much better shot..and the score also supports that option.

Bill Incardona

Comment

Originally posted by bernie p View Post
            Given the lead that I have (especially in the case game) and the location of the balls..... I would tempted to to one rail kick the striped (14?) ball away from Nevel's pocket.

The kick appears to be fairly controllable regarding both the cue ball and the 14 stripe. I should be able to guard against leaving a long bank given that I can re-position the 14 stripe ball onto my side of the table.

Granted, this is not a play that will put any pressure on Nevel, but at this point it's crucial that Gabe comes back to the table without giving up a shot.

The thought process here, for me, is forcing Nevel to attempt to win this on an aggressive Hail Mary, rather than me taking on unnecessary risk to lose it.

Bernie.
            good eye and great explanation for your shot choice
            thats what gabe shot and here is how he left nevel
            nevel tried to bank the 8 but hit the stripe....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	gl2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	387793

Click image for larger version

Name:	gl3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	387794
            Last edited by lll; 04-03-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by senor View Post
              That's the first shot i saw Dudley, but I don't think I'd be letting them fly. I'd just be trying to get the six on my side, leave whitey on the rail and try to cover banking lanes...that's all
              I'm aware that my shot is a gamble but I like to aggressively change the table layout when I believe I can do it in a controlled way.

It might not be on as I diagrammed it but it's worth a look.

The kick is a pretty strong shot. Sells no banks if struck well.

Good eye Bernie!

Dudley

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                Tom, the way I see the 6ball (and I set it up at home) it's a scratch in the side. However, you can elevate and shoot the six but you have to draw the cue ball with a good stroke which would then make it difficult to fall good on the stripe for the bank. The shot to me is too intimidating and even the best shot makers would be a 2/1 dog to pocket the ball. ...the way I see it.

The safety shooting off the inside of the 6ball is a much better shot..and the score also supports that option.

Bill Incardona
                Yep Bill, I agree with you whole heartedly that if the six ball cut is a scratch I would pass on trying to shoot it with draw and either play the shot thinly or I might shoot near full and lag the cue ball down below the stripe. No way do I have the skills to hit that shot well enough with draw not to be selling out most of the time. These shots are sometimes so hard to judge exactly where each ball is in relation to the table and each other.

I too set the shot up in my home and I did pocket the six first try, and the cue ball barely past the side pocket from the position I set up. I probably have it slightly off from its actual position since Gabe past on it. That's why I said it all depends on the exact position.

Tom

I think Gabe got away clean on his shot. Had the hit on the stripe ball been a tad to the left of center he would have given up the straight back bank and position too. Meanwhile, he hit it perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by onepockethacker View Post
                  LOL that was a pretty good comeback.. man you got me there Doc.. oh by the way DOC...... ITS GABES SHOT NOT NEVELS.. LOL.... HOLY SHIT.. OK YOU ARE ON 2, YOU MAY BE THE FIRST GUY IN HISTORY TO GET 3 FOULED IN A WWYD.... LMFAO
                  Yeah, I'm batting .666 in the red on this thread. Who's on first?

Originally posted by lll View Post
                  good eye and great explanation for your shot choice
                  thats what gabe shot and here is how he left nevel
                  nevel tried to bank the 8 but hit the stripe....
                  Larry, Gabe's shot was my second choice. He left Nevel a reasonably good bank on the 8 (which we've called the 6). As you said, he hit it bad. But hell, Brumback and Col. Bille hit 25 of those same straight-backs every morning before they even have their Wheaties. It's a natural, then there's the striped ball afterwards.

I suspect Gabe simply wanted to clear out Nevel's hole area. Good strategy.

~Doc

Comment

... I too set the shot up in my home and I did pocket the six first try, and the cue ball barely past the side pocket from the position I set up. I probably have it slightly off from its actual position since Gabe past on it. That's why I said it all depends on the exact position. ...
                    Tom, did you use CTE on the "6 ball"? (just kidding!)

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                      Tom, did you use CTE on the "6 ball"? (just kidding!)

Doc
                      You're close Doc, I used CII (cut it in)

Tom

Comment

You're close Doc, I used CII (cut it in)

Tom
                        p.i.i.t.h. is really the only aiming system that works.....
                        [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4jEPmHFa8[/ame]

Comment

Larry, that PIITH system is great! The video was well thought out and expertly presented. And the Beethoven music track was icing on the cake!

Something tells me that the system has been around for a long time, so it's nice to see someone bring it all together. It's actually an embellishment on Tom's CII system, so he might deserve some of the credit. Anyway I'm going to try to take that knowledge to the table tonight!!

BTW, I wonder if John Barton would be interested in this timeless system? I'm pretty sure Lou F. has used the PIITH protocol for years.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by onepockethacker View Post
                            P.S. I beat Corey Duell, Nick Varner and Buddy Hall back to back to back to be king of the hill in a one pocket tournament.... I didnt do it by playing scared.. I SHOT THEIR ****ING NUTS OFF
                            I presume this is a belated attempt at an April Fool's prank...

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
                              I presume this is a belated attempt at an April Fool's prank...
                              Not quite... You could always find out first hand

Comment

Working...
                              X