Table vacuum

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I have been using a modified Shark Hand Vacuum to clean my table for about 6 months. From tinkering around with different things over the last couple of years, I believe this is the “best mouse trap.”

At about $40, the Shark Hand Vacuum makes a perfect table vac.

At 6” wide it takes about 5 minutes or less to vacuum a 9’ table. It has a detachable flexible hose which is perfect for cleaning pockets and rails, and a crevice tool which slides onto the hose that gets under the rails.

The HEPA filter/debris screen/dust cup assembly can be simply dumped in the trash and occasionally cleaned under a faucet with hot running water.

The cord is 20’ long so you can vacuum your entire table plugged into a single outlet.

IMG_0474.jpg

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
STEP #1

Remove the dust filter cup so it is out of your way.

Pop off the brush cover.

IMG_0476.jpg

STEP #2

Remove both the front wheels with a phillips head screwdriver (you need to hang onto one of the screws for later).

IMG_0478.jpg

Then remove the second screw on the same side of the exhaust port and side cover will pop right off (you need to hang onto this screw for later also).

IMG_0480.jpg

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
STEP #3

You can now easily remove the brush from the belt.

IMG_0483.jpg

While pulling on the belt, cut it off with some shears or beefy scissors.

IMG_0485.jpg

STEP #4

Loosen the screw on the rear wheel and pry it out.

IMG_0487.jpg

Re-tighten screw.

IMG_0490.jpg

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
STEP #5

Next, you need to remove the “hump” at the suction inlet area. A jig saw works wonderfully.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Sand down the rough edges where you just made your cut with 150 or 220 grit sandpaper. You want this to be smooth because this will be in contact with your cloth (but it doesn’t take much elbow grease at all).

IMG_0494.jpg

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
STEP #6

Secure the exhaust port back on using the top screw you previously removed and one of the left over front wheel screws.

IMG_0496.jpg

Pop the brush cover back on and you have yourself the perfect table vacuum.

IMG_0498.jpg

I use this after I briefly brush my table head to foot moving deliberately (not slow but not fast either) a diamond per pass – head to foot – before wiping down with a damp hot water microfiber rag.

:)

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Miller, can I do this to a dust devil that I bought a number of years for my table but quit using it because I felt the brush was too harsh for the cloth?

beatle

Verified Member
i use a small one h.p. 20 dollar shop vac. long cord and long enough hose and carry it around the table. no roller just a hose and a floor head, plastic. gets all the table quickly.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Miller, can I do this to a dust devil that I bought a number of years for my table but quit using it because I felt the brush was too harsh for the cloth?

I am not sure. The Shark has an independent motor which drives the brush, but still has very powerful suction without it. The Dust Devil might need the brush to pick stuff up. Then again, maybe it doesn't. Frank, I think I still have your address, I will just send one to you modified and ready to go. We'll just figure out how to square up via proposition when Ghost v Henderson II comes around......

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i use a small one h.p. 20 dollar shop vac. long cord and long enough hose and carry it around the table. no roller just a hose and a floor head, plastic. gets all the table quickly.

i used a 5HP shop vac for a while. trust me - my man, beatle.....the "miller modified" shark is the nutz. :p:D

(as is the miller ball cleaner and polisher):)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i use this shop vac with the round brush accessory for anothe $8
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-9650600-3-0-Peak-Series-6-Gallon/dp/B00315CWXE/ref=lp_553022_1_3?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1400324326&sr=1-3[/ame]

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Personally, after cleaning tables for years in a couple pool rooms, I'd prefer a vacuum w/o a rotating brush, because of the rotating brushes long term effects on the cloth/fabric/weave. A table vacuums Purpose....is to remove chalk above and below the play surface, with your major concern to NOT loosen up the material used to flush up the seams between the slates because of too much suction.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I am not sure. The Shark has an independent motor which drives the brush, but still has very powerful suction without it. The Dust Devil might need the brush to pick stuff up. Then again, maybe it doesn't. Frank, I think I still have your address, I will just send one to you modified and ready to go. We'll just figure out how to square up via proposition when Ghost v Henderson II comes around......

Thank you sir. With those term I wouldn't mind losing the next bet. Sorry Mr. Henderson. Either case I really don't mind paying for the unit now.

baby huey

Verified Member
I have tried several methods and vacuums in cleaning tables in my pool room. I am an old guy and of course I always thought a brush was the way to go. Well its not. I now use a vacuum and it a smaller version of a shop vac. Its available on Amazon for about $80. It really sucks up the chaulk and dirt. There is a downside to vacuuming in that it could loosen up the cloth. So when you vacuum you have to be careful to keep the head pushed down on the table cloth so as not to lift up the cloth. Lastly I have a plywood board that measures 1 X 6 X 18 inches with a piece of carpet stapled to it and then I put a clean piece of micro fiber cloth over the carpeting and use that to rub the table cloth. It picks a lot more dirt and chaulk than any vacuum could and I just change out the micro fiber every 4 - 5 days. But again you have to be carful not to stretch out the cloth. If you start early by cleaning the cloth on a newly recovered table you will find it plays consistently better and the cloth will last longer.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I have tried several methods and vacuums in cleaning tables in my pool room. I am an old guy and of course I always thought a brush was the way to go. Well its not. I now use a vacuum and it a smaller version of a shop vac. Its available on Amazon for about $80. It really sucks up the chaulk and dirt. There is a downside to vacuuming in that it could loosen up the cloth. So when you vacuum you have to be careful to keep the head pushed down on the table cloth so as not to lift up the cloth. Lastly I have a plywood board that measures 1 X 6 X 18 inches with a piece of carpet stapled to it and then I put a clean piece of micro fiber cloth over the carpeting and use that to rub the table cloth. It picks a lot more dirt and chaulk than any vacuum could and I just change out the micro fiber every 4 - 5 days. But again you have to be carful not to stretch out the cloth. If you start early by cleaning the cloth on a newly recovered table you will find it plays consistently better and the cloth will last longer.

curious about a couple things: (1) are the microfiber pads damp? [i am a believer in damp/hot water but always curious/willing to adopt a better idea] (2) any chance of posting up a pic?
thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
as long as we are on home-made cleaning devices....:eek:

here are the latest design improvements to the miller ball cleaner and polisher:

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

cleans an entire set in about a minute....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
as long as we are on home-made cleaning devices....:eek:
here are the latest design improvements to the miller ball cleaner and polisher:
cleans an entire set in about a minute....

Miller, that's quite a nice design. Do you intend to sell them, or is the cleaner simply for your own use?

The picture shows the cleaner empty. Presumably you use some type of solvent?

Thanks~ Doc

baby huey

Verified Member
Miller, i'm lucky I can remember how to log in to the Forums but I will try to get a picture up on the carpeted board. In answer to your question, i do slightly dampen the micro fiber cloth attached to the carpeted board. By the way, standard felt is the most difficult to keep clean. I used felt on some of my tables for the bangers but I've come to realize that the cost savings on the cloth just isn't worth it. Felt just doesn't last as long and doesn't clean as well as Simonis. Your forced to recover the table too frequently.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Miller, that's quite a nice design. Do you intend to sell them, or is the cleaner simply for your own use?

The picture shows the cleaner empty. Presumably you use some type of solvent?

Thanks~ Doc

heck no, doc. build your own for next to nothing (or i can put one together sometime and send it down to you....)

i use the brillianize plastic cleaner and meguires ultimate quick detailer as cleaning and polishing solutions. (that's just a personal preference)

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8125