Freddie (The Beard) Bentivegna

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Freddie, you and I have been close for 53 years, and to me you're the most beloved and revered person/player I have known through out those 53 years..you are the most loved player from our generation. We talked on Thursday and it was then that you told me that they detected cancer in your lung and asked me not to mention it to no one. I tried calling you today and didn't get an answer, I wanted to talk to you because I feel you must feel alone, and I didn't want you to feel that way. Please try to understand that i'm posting this to show you the love and support that you'll be given through your fight against your toughest opponent ever, and I know for certain that you will feel the love that will help you get through this. I believe that you will survive because I have always looked at you as a survivor and you have too much heart not to.

You have been the "underdog" just about all your life and that never stopped you from succeeding, yes you have succeeded "big time" in everything you have done and I admire you more than you can ever imagine..just wanted you to know that. :)

Your friend always,
Bill Incardona

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Freddie,

I know the news scares you. It did me and mine was not as serious a type as yours. A couple of things that helped me were to first of all remember that I never expected to live forever in the first place. This having been said, you don't have to die right away necessarily. People are living for years now with all sorts of cancers and there are new breakthroughs every day. Now, the most important thing...You lived your life, a full and rewarding one I am sure, with great love. You gave great love and you are greatly loved. If you're ever in doubt just call me and I'll remind you.

Your good friend,

Pete Saxton

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Freddy,

If you happen to see this, I am thinking about you and your family. If you can't get on the computer, maybe somebody can read it to you.

The only person (up to now) I have mentioned this to on the site is Vap -- I was trying to pick him up a little after he had/mentioned some shit he had done a couple years ago.....

After I uprooted my family and moved outside of STL (so I could be closer to my office and provide my daughter with more opportunities than some small/backward community had to offer) and subsequently bit off a quarter million dollar mortgage a few years ago, I had a routine physical for work which had a chest x-ray. I was informed there was something abnormal about it. I made sure my life insurance policy was right and didn't tell my family for a couple months what was going on. Anyway, fast forward a few years later and after 8 CT and 1 PT scans and a very unpleasant experience, the 14 mm and 12 mm opacities in me haven't grown a bit (believe me...I'm hoping it stays that way....:eek:) and are probably from something I was exposed to when I worked in a refinery and/or foundry.

In short, what I know from my own experience is, its probably hard to know exactly what is going on and get your head wrapped around it right now. Freddy, you're a tough old bird. Navigating through the general practice MD, the Oncologist(s), the imaging facilities, the Radiologist who reads the stuff, etc. can be an exercise in frustration in and of itself. Don't get down my man and hang in there.

Besides, I'm still planning on that lesson in the fall. ;)

Wishing you the absolute best!

Dustin
:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Freddy...I'm thinking about you and pulling for you...and Riva says to tell you that she's including you in her nightly prayers.

- Ghost

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Freddie (The Beard) Bentivegna

Dammit Freddie. I know you can give this cancer 9-5 and the breaks and still be stealing. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for playing banks with this rookie at the derby. You're in my prayers as you beat this latest opponent. Just one more name to add to the beat list my friend. Mitch.

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
Freddy,
We're all pulling for you down here. You'll look back on this as another thing you had to get past. You're a tough guy and that's going to help you get through this. It's done what it can to you, now show it what a fight looks like.
Stay In There Pal.

JAM

Verified Member
Freddie, you and I have been close for 53 years, and to me you're the most beloved and revered person/player I have known through out those 53 years..you are the most loved player from our generation. We talked on Thursday and it was then that you told me that they detected cancer in your lung and asked me not to mention it to no one. I tried calling you today and didn't get an answer, I wanted to talk to you because I feel you must feel alone, and I didn't want you to feel that way. Please try to understand that i'm posting this to show you the love and support that you'll be given through your fight against your toughest opponent ever, and I know for certain that you will feel the love that will help you get through this. I believe that you will survive because I have always looked at you as a survivor and you have too much heart not to.

You have been the "underdog" just about all your life and that never stopped you from succeeding, yes you have succeeded "big time" in everything you have done and I admire you more than you can ever imagine..just wanted you to know that. :)

Your friend always,
Bill Incardona

What a heart-felt post to a good friend! This brought tears to my eyes. I hope Freddy is well aware of how many people do love him, not just because of his pool contributions, but because he's a genuinely nce man.

Over the years, I have gotten to know Freddy through e-mail communication and a few phone calls. He was generous, enthusiastic about pool, and kind. What an asset not only to the pool world, but to all who meet him, he brings us joy.

My heart breaks that he is going through these difficult times. I pray that he has a full recovery. Cancer is not the villain that it used to be. My older brother managed to go in remission with is cancer, so it can happen. Let's hope for the best.

Love you, Freddy. Keep on banking back and come home soon! We need you. :cool:

Last edited:

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Freddy one of the good guys

Freddy one of the good guys

Bill thanks for posting this. We're all wishing Freddy a speedy recovery and Freddy is in our prayers. Bank On Brother, FEF

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
How very sad...

How very sad...

Dear Freddy.
Although you and I have never met face to face, I feel like you are a brother. Because, in our business dealings and as a fellow author, exchanging publications and courtesies, I feel that way. You have produced more than a book...a piece of pool history that will remain forever. As such, you cannot be forgotten.
But, right now, screw all of the finality talk. Kick this thing's ass.
God, I'm sorry for what you're going through. You will be in my prayers for certain.
Alfie

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bank on, Brother

Bank on, Brother

I'm betting on you winning this one Freddy! You have a very rare blend of heart, humor and toughness -- and that triple whammy makes you one tough guy.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I knew when I didn't hear from him or his family since Thursday morning, that He really didn't want to publicize his condition. Since it's out there now I'm posting what I know.

Just got off the phone with Freddy, He sounded pretty weak and down, to be expected. He's starting Chemo Tuesday, the cancer he has is NOT the worst, but, not at an early stage. He's being released tomorrow from the hospital, and has to return on Wednesday.

Lets all dig deep in any form of prayer for Freddy, He's a treasure the billiard community can not afford to lose! If God is merciful, He will be at Freddy's side battling one of his toughest opponents!

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Freddie, the www is chock-a-block full of best wishes from a lot of people today. Nothing else is very important until this is over. Get well.

Bill

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Freddie,
I have been around pool & pool rooms for almost 50 years...You & I have crossed paths hundreds of times..I would say "Hi & you always said "Hey Kid" with a friendly smile.

Get Well & Get Back....The pool world needs you,kid

blindlemon

Verified Member
To Freddie " the beard "

To Freddie " the beard "

I wrote this some time ago when I was having a brush with a serious health problem. There was another fellow I knew who was also in a battle for his life at the same time. I wanted to remind him, to reinforce in him who he is, what he is, what we are. And now, who and what you are Freddy, a warrior. These words are for you. I hope you see them and take them to heart and know they are true.

Words of a Warrior

So, here we are again old foe. I see your resolve hasn't waned.
Once again you have come to take from a spirit you believe you've tamed.

Must I remind you again, at risk of sounding brash, of whom you’re about
to confront.
You seem to have forgotten the battles we’ve fought so I suppose I must be blunt .

Ah, good fortune is mine to have a foe such as you, I’m honored to keep
you at bay
But once again, though mighty you are, when it’s done. It will be my day

Yes, it’s true, you have wounded me many times. But fallen I’ve not and
you know the reason why?
A Warrior I was born, and as a Warrior I have lived, and only a Warrior will cause me to die.

What’s that you say? No, I meant no disrespect. You are very powerful
and not to be taken light
Indeed, it is because of your power that I am strengthened and prepared to fight.

So bring your best to this new field of battle and do what you think you must
But know this old foe. It is I who will be standing, when the winds clear the dust.

John Gardner