OP926 - Lee Simon

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hey, bud-- I see that you're over near Redding now. Didn't you used to live near the Santa Rosa area? Seems to me we had some threads awhile back about Lee Simon's Buffalo Billiards in Cotati.

I heard that he sold the Cotati room and opened one in Petaluma. Is the Cotati room still crankin'? They had some great tournaments there at one time. I used to drive down from the Eureka area to play.

Lee must be getting up in years now. Of course, aren't we ALL!:eek:

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hey, bud-- I see that you're over near Redding now. Didn't you used to live near the Santa Rosa area? Seems to me we had some threads awhile back about Lee Simon's Buffalo Billiards in Cotati.

I heard that he sold the Cotati room and opened one in Petaluma. Is the Cotati room still crankin'? They had some great tournaments there at one time. I used to drive down from the Eureka area to play.

Lee must be getting up in years now. Of course, aren't we ALL!:eek:

~Doc

I see Lee from time to time Doc. He comes to some of the local tournaments when the big boys show up.

I helped set his room up a year ago or so with the California Cue Sports Handicap One Pocket League when I was still running Cue Sports Journal. His house pro in Petaluma is Billy Aguero, and I think Chris MacDonald plays out of there when he plays anymore. Nice room right on the main drag with warehouse doors that open right on the street.

The equipment in Petaluma is still some of the stuff they had in Cotati. They lost the Buffalo head.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA

Lee must be getting up in years now. Of course, aren't we ALL!

~Doc

...hey Doc,

....publicly I'd have to say..... NO !!! .....it must be someone else You're thinking about.....:cool:

.......I've heard that there is an SS Squad...waiting to trap the Guy You speak of.... :eek:... (almost 3 years now...and He's becoming impatient)...

*hides his stash ($50)*......:heh

........Please !!! no one else read this next part.....

...but, in Private I'd say this.....

...I'll call Lee and tell Him You want to know how....up-in-years....He really is....:lol

.......I haven't seen Him in about 2 years....the last time I saw Him he was in his New Place.....I happened to be in town for something...and stopped in on a Saturday......

....I think Chris Macdonald still plays out of there.....I was his only Onepocket action in the area at the time...and maybe Ronnie Barber (I don't know how they played...but, I played Ronnie even).....no one else wanted to play Chris....I guess because He was a "Pro".....;).....(We played 10/8 and He'd win....9/7 and I'd win)...

.......I remember Chris coming to one of the Tournaments with only the buy-in.... (He was a "working Man"...at a local Golf Course.....and didn't have much cash on Him).......so I bought in with Him on the "Break Pot"...for $3.......Chris got picked to break....and cracked the "9"....for $1,500.....:lol...I made $750 for a $3 investment....(it pays to invest in Excellence)....

......and I know...."Bud Green"...on here knows Lee...and probably has more current info.....

......Lee still has a very nice Saturday Tournament.......(I was His Tournament Director for about 3 years.....in the early 2,000's)......

....the place in Cotati...was sold to some Guy from 'Frisco....(Lee kept the Table, Cue and Supply end of the Business).........the new Owner tried to turn it into a "Yuppie Bar"......and failed...so Lee took back the License and Name....then re-opened in Petaluma........it's Still called Buffalo Billiards.....

...Lee is one Man who is and has always been super successful...in the Billiard Industry (You can buy any table in the place...at any time....if someone's on it...He'll make 'em move :lol)......

.....there's a picture on his wall...of Him at about 12 years of age.....in his Fathers Pool Hall.....(2nd generation Owner).......

....an interesting factoid is....... You'll never see Lee with a cue in his hand...unless He's selling it or a Table to You......but, in fact He's a great Player (I've played Him several times for short stints...then He's back behind the Register...where He never looses).....:heh

.....personally I think He's been on a 50 year stall....just waiting for the right...."Sucker".....to walk thru his doors......:lol...( :sorry Lee if this knocks your action)....

....a footnote.....if You or any Player on here find themselves in the North Bay, California...stop and see Lee......I highly recommend his Place....and it is and always has been....a Players Pool Hall....

Last edited:

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I see Lee every week. He's doing good.

The old location in Cotati actually is a pool hall again but nothing worth traveling for.

Lee is in Petaluma as mentioned before with a pool room, and the equipment business all in the same building.

The tables change slowly as he sells them. Only Diamond is a bar box, but the nine footers are a variety. He does have some nice GC's in there.

Chris M hasn't been around much.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the news, lads. Yeah, I could tell that Lee had a head for business. Pretty sharp guy.

Sounds like Chris M. still lives in Sta Rosa. Did he and Barbara part company? If he's had to go back to work, that might explain why he hasn't been around the pool scene much...:)

~Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
He's been working steadily at one of the best nine hole courses in the US for a decade now. Northwood in the Russian River area. Designed by the same guy who helped design Augusta National, Cypress Point, and others.

Last time I saw him was at Buffalo Billiards, Petaluma, and he was with his daughter. Nice kid.

He plays when he can, still jumps up with his old game every now and then. When he plays well, he plays VERY well, especially at 1-P.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
I see Lee every week. He's doing good.

The old location in Cotati actually is a pool hall again but nothing worth traveling for.

Lee is in Petaluma as mentioned before with a pool room, and the equipment business all in the same building.

The tables change slowly as he sells them. Only Diamond is a bar box, but the nine footers are a variety. He does have some nice GC's in there.

Chris M hasn't been around much.

...hey Bud,

...nice to see You post......I was wondering...do You see Alberto...around or has He moved away ?.........how about...Squee, Johnathan, Lance or any other of the kids (now older) from....Cotati ?.....