Greatest One Pocket Match You Saw or Played

baby huey

Verified Member
Maybe we have talked about this before, but can you share the Greatest One Pocket Match You Saw or Played. I'll go first.
- I watched Las Vegas Toby play Archie the Greek 12/5 and 13/5 for 150K per game. Toby won five straight (750K) and each game the stakes were posted in cash right on the table. Each game went down to the last ball. I can't imagine how many guns might have been around that table that night.
- Watched Ronnie Allen give Eddie Taylor 8/7 in 1966 for then a large sum of $400/game. Ronnie drilled Eddie.
- I watched Efren give Ronnie Allen 11/8 in 1987 for 2K per game and Ronnie never won a game. He lost about 16K.
- I played John Schmidt at my Pool Room even in 2002 for $300 and $400 a game and beat him for $2600. I played perfect and this is my best match. I think I need about 9/7 now of course.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The matches that come to mind for me would be watching Efren and Cliff late night at Derby City back when both were at the peak of their One Pocket games. Cliff was getting 8-7 if I recall and there was a lot of beautiful One Pocket. Efren prevailed.

I also watched Bugs and Grady late night at one of Strawberry's tournaments outside of DC in about 1992. That was very entertaining and good One Pocket. Bugs was apparently just starting to suffer the beginnings of problems from his diabetes, but to most of us -- maybe even Bugs -- we had no idea.

Around that time I got to watch Shannon Daulton too. He was incredible to watch at that time -- only about 20, with tremendous fire power and bravado -- both in his style of play and his demeanor!

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
I have to say that the Ghost vs John Henderson match was one of the best I have seen personally. Down to the last ball of the last game after three days.

Ike Runnels vs Dr. Bill in Chicago 3 or 4 years ago.

The Artie B vs John Henderson match at the DCC three or 4 years ago. I sweated it for a while and went to bed at 2:30 am and when I woke up at noon, they were still playing.

Chris Gentile vs Tony Ferguson playing banks. Same thing went to bed and when I woke up they were still playing.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
69 or 70 Johnson City, Janscos event I was still in college. I saw Ronnie Allen on a 9 footer, run 8 and out back to back in the air, it was absurd to watch. He was giving the guy a spot and playing for 5-800 a game.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
US Open in Kalamazoo, probably 17 years ago. Buddy Hall vs Scott Frost.
Scott broke and left a ball in front of his hole and Buddy behind the stack. Some how Buddy got the QB between the pocket and Scott's ball forcing Scott to shoot away and leave Buddy behind the stack. Three shots in a row Buddy was able to get the QB squeezed in behind the ball. Scott lost that match and I overheard him say he couldn't believe he lost to Buddy

Did anyone else see that match?

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm sure many have seen this one, but the finest one pocket I have seen was Efren's 2006 performance in the semifinals against Alex and the finals against Jason Miller. There are so many ridiculous 8-and-outs that Efrem puts down, along with super squeeze defense. Bill Incardona is commentating and pretty much says the same thing.

Granted, I would rather watch two guys battle it out ball for ball, but in terms of top-flight performances, treat yourself to a human highlight reel and get this DVD!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I guess I'd have to say, all the matches in the early - mid 70's between Leonard "Bugs" Rucker v Artie B! Most of the matches they played against each other were, "High" $ action for the time, $3,000 - $5,000 a set!

Bugs used to show up all the time with an entire entourage, of some of the, "flashiest" dressers in town! Even a couple of "Bug's" stake horses played pretty sporty.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
US Open in Kalamazoo, probably 17 years ago. Buddy Hall vs Scott Frost.
Scott broke and left a ball in front of his hole and Buddy behind the stack. Some how Buddy got the QB between the pocket and Scott's ball forcing Scott to shoot away and leave Buddy behind the stack. Three shots in a row Buddy was able to get the QB squeezed in behind the ball. Scott lost that match and I overheard him say he couldn't believe he lost to Buddy ...
Ha! That's a riot. Buddy was playing championship one-pocket when Scott was still trying to figure out how to get laid for the first time...:D

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Frost became a world beater in 1P until the mid 2000's.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Daulton/Reyes and Daulton/Hall, back-to-back in the 1998 Legends in Baton Rouge.

Efren's last two matches at Derby City in '06 was something to watch too.

edit to add; Straightback already mentioned the '06. I need to watch it again, but the way I remember it Efren ran 8-out 5 times in 6 games.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Daulton/Reyes and Daulton/Hall, back-to-back in the 1998 Legends in Baton Rouge.

edit to add; Straightback already mentioned the '06. I need to watch it again, but the way I remember it Efren ran 8-out 5 times in 6 games.

LS John, you are correct. Not only that, his 8-and-outs are a beautiful mix of nine-ball strokes mixed in with smart straight pool breakouts. The DVD is worth it for one shot alone, which is a nasty, three-cushion type shot - Incardona (and the crowd) go apeshit! Even Mr. 3C would have to tip his hat for this reverse English position play. I think Incardona refers to it as "some alien monster English shot." (It is one of those situations where Reyes gets out of line where most players would still be in line. It is also one of those situations where Reyes brings the damn goods to get back in line. This is, after all, why we like to watch him!) I have hundreds of videos and this one is a keeper!

You will find better duels between combatants, but you will not find a better single performance than this.

Oh, and nearly all those 98 Legends matches are great!

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Ha! That's a riot. Buddy was playing championship one-pocket when Scott was still trying to figure out how to get laid for the first time...:D

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Frost became a world beater in 1P until the mid 2000's.

~Doc

He beat Keith McCready a set for 10k at The Cue Club in Vegas in the early 2000's and really jumped up after that.

It was seven ahead and Keith won the first 4/5 in a row and it looked like Scott was done, but he turned it around and got the cash.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
LS John, you are correct. Not only that, his 8-and-outs are a beautiful mix of nine-ball strokes mixed in with smart straight pool breakouts. The DVD is worth it for one shot alone, which is a nasty, three-cushion type shot - Incardona (and the crowd) go apeshit! Even Mr. 3C would have to tip his hat for this reverse English position play. I think Incardona refers to it as "some alien monster English shot." (It is one of those situations where Reyes gets out of line where most players would still be in line. It is also one of those situations where Reyes brings the damn goods to get back in line. This is, after all, why we like to watch him!) I have hundreds of videos and this one is a keeper!

You will find better duels between combatants, but you will not find a better single performance than this.

FYI, Efren and I have played once, there was a spot involved! He and I because of OUR "Carom"backgrounds do look at pocket billiards in a VERY similar way, I think we both see and know certain shots that most players don't see and play! It's just that "I" don't play Pool full time, as MANY of the members do!

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If it is amateurs I have two matches I remember. One was JR Hendy playing Larry Liscotti (sp) at the old California Billiards. The first day John had him befuddled and won, but true to the champion he was, Liscotti came back the next day and won.:heh
The other was a match at the DCC when Jerry Matchin was matched up against Earl. Jerry would have won this match because he outplayed Earl in one pocket but Earl pulled one of his "moves" by denying a scratch because no referee was called to watch the shot. Earl went on to the finals and played the single greatest one pocket game I have ever witnessed. He ran eight and out with seven of his eight out shots coming from balls in the kitchen.:eek:
When I was announcing the One Pocket challenge at California billiards one year, Scott Frost played John Schmidt, both on the winners side. The first four games lasted about five minutes, total. Then Scott and John played a fascinating game of scratches where Scott was a -7 and John a -2. Eventually Scott had a chance to win the game with a run. He missed a shot, by my opinion, rushing a shot he normally makes 90% of the time.:frus

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
FYI, Efren and I have played once, there was a spot involved! He and I because of OUR "Carom"backgrounds do look at pocket billiards in a VERY similar way, I think we both see and know certain shots that most players don't see and play! It's just that "I" don't play Pool full time, as MANY of the members do!

You spotted him in 3 cushion or he spotted you in one pocket?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
You spotted him in 3 cushion or he spotted you in one pocket?

It' was around the mid 80's, Efren was staying in Chicago, learning 1 pocket from Freddy. He was coming around then to the "Chicago Billiard Café" with Archibald from the "Southside", He would stake him to play.

To get to your question, I spotted Efren, 60-50 playing 3 Cushion, Archibald went for 2 games, for a $1,000.00 each!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Yes, I was there for that match and that shot -- Efren got unbelievable cue ball action, with position to continue his run!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He beat Keith McCready a set for 10k at The Cue Club in Vegas in the early 2000's and really jumped up after that.

It was seven ahead and Keith won the first 4/5 in a row and it looked like Scott was done, but he turned it around and got the cash.
John, was that 1P, or 9 ball? Probably 1P since that's the subject, but just curious...;)

I didn't really get to see Frost's wizardry until the 2006 U.S. Open 1P. His game seemed effortless, and he never missed. He didn't do particularly well in the tournament though. That seems to be his M.O.: he generally does better in stakes matches.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John, was that 1P, or 9 ball? Probably 1P since that's the subject, but just curious...;)

I didn't really get to see Frost's wizardry until the 2006 U.S. Open 1P. His game seemed effortless, and he never missed. He didn't do particularly well in the tournament though. That seems to be his M.O.: he generally does better in stakes matches.

~Doc

One pocket Doc. Freezer would not have played Keith any nine ball at that time.

backplaying

Verified Member

That match with Shannon and Efren is one of the best I've seen. Shannon has a heart of a lion and plays better in the spotlight, unlike many. He's one of the few who doesn't seem intimidated by Efren, like most players are/were. I can say, he's also one of the few that has made Efren get weak, with a banking exhibition.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
That match with Shannon and Efren is one of the best I've seen. Shannon has a heart of a lion and plays better in the spotlight, unlike many. He's one of the few who doesn't seem intimidated by Efren, like most players are/were. I can say, he's also one of the few that has made Efren get weak, with a banking exhibition.

Of course Shannon made Efrin weak in banks, he's from Kentucky. Growing up in Kentucky, bank pool is taught from grades 1-12. If you can't run five and out, you don't graduit.:lol:lol