Complimentary Angles and Complimentary Englis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The MOST "complimentary" angle to contact a cushion is at a 45 degree angle, some what the same as a, "half-ball" hit is the "purest" form of a "carom," equal parts of the ball... I believe the SAME effect happens at the 45 degree angle, not too much and not too little of the "face" of the CB is making contact with the "edge" of the cushion. And this angle IMO, requires maximum, 3 or 9 O'clock English to make the CB take the correct angle according to, "diamond systems!" The MORE, "acute" or "obtuse" the angle into the 1st cushion, the LESS you apply English towards the 12 O'clock position on the CB. This is why I decided to ADD the, "diamond system" numbers the diagram!

Now, like I said, in the FIRST sentence of this thread, "I'm NOT looking for a, ELABORATE debate on the, "scientific" aspect of this theory!

You can prove or disprove my theory by testing it yourself at the table, or NOT.
I can be a little obtuse myself -- are you saying that the 45 degree angle gives the most equal rebound angle without english, or that it needs the most english to get angle-in angle-out? I hate it when I misunderstand so badly that I get things backwards :D

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I can be a little obtuse myself -- are you saying that the 45 degree angle gives the most equal rebound angle without english, or that it needs the most english to get angle-in angle-out? I hate it when I misunderstand so badly that I get things backwards :D

Steve; The theory of this system that I devised and use is based on playing the, CORRECT universal, "Diamond System." It really has very little in common with, AIAO. It's entirely based on what percentage a CB rebounds at a 45 degree angle with the CORRECT English and stroke as opposed to NO English.

Here's an example of MY, "Percentage Distance System." Let's see if some one can figure out the rest of the system from this diagram!

BTW, This system is based on, "Aiming OPPOSITE the diamonds ON THE CUSHION, NOT through the diamonds!" Also, the contact points on the, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cushions is OPPOSITE the DIAMONDS!

View attachment 10687

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Steve, this isn't what Bill's talking about, but here's how you can get angle-in = angle-out kicks from any attack angle:

1. Be sure the CB is sliding (no forward roll or backspin) when it hits the rail

2. Offset your tip for "natural running English" (at 2/5 the distance to the CB's "opposite contact point" - see my diagram earlier in this thread) so the CB will "roll naturally" along the rail without any ball/cloth friction

Again, this isn't what Bill's talking about, and I don't want to sidetrack his info - this is just an aside re your question about equal-in/equal-out kick angles.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
So, here's a practical example of using MY, "Distance Percentage System" can get you out of a trap playing 9 ball!

View attachment 10698

Here's Diagram #2 which describes how to calculate MY system for this position.

View attachment 10699

And Diagram #3 showing where to AIM with the CORRECT calculation.

View attachment 10700

And, here's a photo of the table layout from today.

View attachment 10701

Finally, a video of me making the shot, using MY system.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTcYiUOwz50"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTcYiUOwz50[/ame]

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Bill, here's a common kicking system that comes up with the same rail target as yours does in a different way. It's for a rolling CB with no sidespin, which goes a little long - so you aim for the midway point at the rail diamonds (rather than the rail gutter) to compensate for that.

The trick to this method is to visualize the target's "latitude line" parallel with the kicking rail and use that to find the midway point on the rail.

pj
chgo

P.S. This doesn't "compete" with yours, just another interesting variation.

View attachment 15037

Attachments

• bill's kick.jpg
    bill's kick.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bill, here's a common kicking system that comes up with the same rail target as yours does in a different way. It's for a rolling CB with no sidespin, which goes a little long - so you aim for the midway point at the rail diamonds (rather than the rail gutter) to compensate for that.

The trick to this method is to visualize the target's "latitude line" parallel with the kicking rail and use that to find the midway point on the rail.

pj
chgo

P.S. This doesn't "compete" with yours, just another interesting variation.

View attachment 15037

Looks like, basically, dividing the angle in half, at an imaginary point on the rail and the aiming line.

Also, in 3C, we rarely use NO English when contacting the, "Long" cushion first on banks! Now, going to the "short" cushion first is another story, (2 cushions first kicks)!

Very interesting!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Looks like, basically, dividing the angle in half, at an imaginary point on the rail and the aiming line.

Very interesting!
Exactly - a simple concept that looks more complicated than it is.

Using the point on the rail compensates for the CB rolling long - the compensation is self-adjusting, compensating less for steeper angles and more for shallower angles.

Of course I'm just passing this along; I can't claim to have invented it like you did.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Exactly - a simple concept that looks more complicated than it is.

Using the point on the rail compensates for the CB rolling long - the compensation is self-adjusting, compensating less for steeper angles and more for shallower angles.

Of course I'm just passing this along; I can't claim to have invented it like you did.

pj
chgo

Thanks for the explanation, and for the comment on MY work!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thank you both -- I never realized that was why aiming lines went through the diamonds.

That and the 2/5's.

Kicks do come up a lot in One Pocket. If you want to educate yourself as to how to hit them accurately, and give them the practice they require I can see where it would add an extra dimension to your game. They can come up both as an offensive move or defensive -- but probably most often to give your opponent a hanging ball of course.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Thank you both -- I never realized that was why aiming lines went through the diamonds.

That and the 2/5's.

Kicks do come up a lot in One Pocket. If you want to educate yourself as to how to hit them accurately, and give them the practice they require I can see where it would add an extra dimension to your game. They can come up both as an offensive move or defensive -- but probably most often to give your opponent a hanging ball of course.
By the way, the 2/5 tip offset for "natural running" English also works for getting "instant natural roll" on the CB - maybe its most useful application. I've made it a habit to hit the CB at the 2/5 mark whenever I need a rolling CB, to eliminate all sliding and get the truest roll.

pj
chgo

View attachment 74634

Attachments

• Natural Roll English.jpg
    Natural Roll English.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
magic number

magic number

this is great stuff, made it on 1st try, what if you want to hit the first or third diamond?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
You Bill, would like the formula for hitting the short rail in different places, Thanks. tom k

Tom; I'll pm you a PDF file with those pages from my book, "Strokes...Systems n Strategies" later this evening.

I'm happy to see, you have success with the system.