Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by androd View Post
    Aiming with your dominant eye should be hard wired into your muscle memory
    long before you started playing one pocket. Which way to cut a ball sounds weird to me. You should know where to hit either side.
    Rod.
    Me too,Little Buddy. If you like to cut one way better than the other...Ya got problems...big ones John B.
    Click here to order the DVD
    Click here to order JB shirts

Comment

instead of which side, i'm actually more interested on where guys place the cue ball.

i'm three fingers off the rail at the head string.

Comment

Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
        Doc, you mention you feel about, RH players that they prefer to cut balls to the left then right. Is the reasoning have anything to do "eye dominance" or just because they're arm and body is on the "opposite" side of the direction you're cutting the ball?
        It's more the latter, Bill. And of course that was just a generalization based on my own preferences. Eye dominance may have a big influence on it too.

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
          instead of which side, i'm actually more interested on where guys place the cue ball.

i'm three fingers off the rail at the head string.
          I put the CB on the line from the corner pocket by me to the OB. That way I can shoot a half ball hit. I'd rather aim at a HBH because I want to know exactly where to aim. The only time I change the CB position is if it's for position purposes.

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
            It's more the latter, Bill. And of course that was just a generalization based on my own preferences. Eye dominance may have a big influence on it too.

~Doc
            Doc; Thanks for the input!

Comment

Aiming with your dominant eye should be hard wired into your muscle memory
              long before you started playing one pocket. Which way to cut a ball sounds weird to me. You should know where to hit either side.
              Rod.
              Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
              I think it might have to do with not having dominant eye directly over the shaft. When not, it changes your perceived line of aim.

I've heard that for a right-hander left-eye dominance is advantageous in golf and baseball but detrimental for pool because it's more natural to put the right eye over the shaft.
              Originally posted by John Brumback View Post
              Me too,Little Buddy. If you like to cut one way better than the other...Ya got problems...big ones John B.
              disclaimer
              I COULD BE WRONG,,,,,,,,
              BUT
              from my understanding a a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant
              should find LEFT CUT SHOTS easier than RIGHT CUT SHOTS
              that player should fing he has a tendency to hit right cut shots alittle too thick
              the reason being
              when you cut to the left your left eyeis controlling the shot AND
              your left eye is also along the shot line and edge of the cue ball hitting the ball
              when you cut to the right
              your right eye wants to take over forcing you to hit the ball fat
              until you hit enough balls to get your subconcious to compensate
              gene albrecht (sp) of perfect aim is a proponent if this
              jmho
              icbw

Comment

Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

Yep. That pretty much sums me up hahaha
                Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                  Yep. That pretty much sums me up hahaha
                  I like to break from the right side, Because my bridge off the rail feels better. However... if the table is leaning the wrong way for me, I'll switch John B.

Comment

I like to break from the right side, Because my bridge off the rail feels better. However... if the table is leaning the wrong way for me, I'll switch John B.

Skipper
                    You'll break'em better with your bridge hand on the table.
                    Rod.
                    P.S. Never be to old to learn something.
                    Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                    (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Skipper
                      Rod.
                      I think you get a better spread off the side but you risk scratching off the corner ball more often. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                        disclaimer
                        I COULD BE WRONG,,,,,,,,
                        BUT
                        from my understanding a a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant
                        should find LEFT CUT SHOTS easier than RIGHT CUT SHOTS
                        that player should fing he has a tendency to hit right cut shots alittle too thick
                        the reason being
                        when you cut to the left your left eyeis controlling the shot AND
                        your left eye is also along the shot line and edge of the cue ball hitting the ball
                        when you cut to the right
                        your right eye wants to take over forcing you to hit the ball fat
                        until you hit enough balls to get your subconcious to compensate
                        gene albrecht (sp) of perfect aim is a proponent if this
                        jmho
                        icbw
                        Not that it probably means much Larry ( just throwing it out there),but I am right handed and left eyed dominant. I have to shoot guns left handed but that's the only thing I do left handed.I don't have a clue where my eyes are over the cue,to this day. Like Rod said...that should have come to ya about the first hour you shot pool.Some of this stuff they come up with is just mind boggling to me. Just practice and never think about it...believe me....It'll come to ya people. ( Meaning...IE: you won't have to think and worry about it ) (inside tip) John B.

Comment

Skipper
                          Rod.
                          P.S. Never be to old to learn something.
                          Little Buddy...you promise I will never scratch off that stinkin corner ball again? I'm going to work with it some. I have this feeling you are right Skipper

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
                            I think you get a better spread off the side but you risk scratching off the corner ball more often. YMMV.
                            I think this too... John B.

Comment

Not that it probably means much Larry ( just throwing it out there),but I am right handed and left eyed dominant. I have to shoot guns left handed but that's the only thing I do left handed.I don't have a clue where my eyes are over the cue,to this day. Like Rod said...that should have come to ya about the first hour you shot pool.Some of this stuff they come up with is just mind boggling to me. Just practice and never think about it...believe me....It'll come to ya people. ( Meaning...IE: you won't have to think and worry about it ) (inside tip) John B.
                              Hey, Doc, are you reading this??

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
                                Hey, Doc, are you reading this??
                                Ha! You're right, SB. I've said many times that I should have never started tinkering with my stance and alignment. I've improved in some areas, but it's also tended to confuse me, resulting in a slight lack of confidence. When a guy starts playing well, he should just leave his mechanics alone.

On the other hand with guys' different methods in their mechanics is the reason we hear statements like, "To make this shot you have to twist your wrist outward at contact, and pinch your first two toes together of your backward foot."...

~Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X