Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

I was having a "debate" with Artie today, about what pocket a,"right-handed" or "left-handed" player should break the balls to, playing One Pocket!

Needless to say, we had a "difference" of opinion on this topic!

Just wondering what any of the members have to say about their choice and WHY.

I changed the wording in case someone replies, that they "rail" break to a pocket!
    Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM.

The pocket where I can walk up and shoot this in. I don't shoot well off handed.
    Rod.

[ATTACH] shot 1.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
    (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Originally posted by androd View Post
      The pocket where I can walk up and shoot this in. I don't shoot well off handed.
      Rod.

[ATTACH] shot 1.jpg[/ATTACH]
      Rod, OK, that's one players point of view and reason. Are you, RH or LH?

Comment

Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
        Rod, OK, that's one players point of view and reason. Are you, RH or LH?
        Evidently I'm right handed. Can't reach this shot from the other side,
        Rod.
        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

Evidently I'm right handed. Can't reach this shot from the other side,
          Rod.
          GOOD point, Rod! I'm sure others will agree.

Comment

.......actually my Father was...and my Son is...Ambidextrous a trait that has always made Me quite jealous.....

.......I've tried to convince Him it's an awesome ability....and He needs to embrace it.....

....I've always had to use my One-handed ability to get Me out of a pinch...when a bridge just wouldn't do.....
            "...I'll take 9 to 6....ok then...I'll give you 9 to 6..."

Comment

I was having a "debate" with Artie today, about what pocket a,"right-handed" or "left-handed" player should break the balls to, playing One Pocket!

Needless to say, we had a "difference" of opinion on this topic!

Just wondering what any of the members have to say about their choice and WHY.

I changed the wording in case someone replies, that they "rail" break to a pocket!
              As far as I can tell there is about an equal number of advantages each way. I'd rather take the pocket my opponent seems to like or go with any detected table softness. (I stated those backasswards... table first, opponent second.)

Comment

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                As far as I can tell there is about an equal number of advantages each way. I'd rather take the pocket my opponent seems to like or go with any detected table softness. (I stated those backasswards... table first, opponent second.)
                LSJohn; ALL things being EQUAL, which pocket? Are YOU RH or LH?

Comment

....a definite consideration.......I want my Opponant..to be uncomfortable as possible.....I'd light a match under his foot....if I thought I could get away with it.....
                  "...I'll take 9 to 6....ok then...I'll give you 9 to 6..."

Comment

Really, you prefer shooting across your body rather that away from it ?
                    Rod.
                    Rod.

Rodney Stephens.

Comment

For some reason, I seem to be a little more comfortable cutting to the left, so all things being equal, I break to the left, because I break a little more consistently that way. Sure Rod's shot now won't work well for me, but the equivalent bank angle will -- and I betcha I get more swings at those banks than I do at his cuts

However, like others have said, you have to break towards the favorable pocket if the table leans one way. I remember playing on a table one time where the slate by the pocket lip was apparently "shaved" a little and the balls really tended to fall into that pocket -- you had to break that way or get robbed.
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

I am right-handed. I try to break from both all the time so that I am not dependent on one side, and so that I can equally practice both sides. For the cash, however, I like to break on the left side of the table, cutting the one to my right, and I prefer to break off the rail but will break where the table dictates.

Comment

LSJohn; ALL things being EQUAL, which pocket? Are YOU RH or LH?
                          I'm right-handed, not ambidextrous, and usually break from the right if I have the first break in a match. Otherwise, I just break at the pocket my opponent chooses. It might make him a little too comfortable having his preferred pocket every game.

Comment

Really, you prefer shooting across your body rather that away from it ?
                            Rod.
                            I'm gonna have some of those shots either way, and I've heard enough arguments both ways from players whose games I respect to consider it a non-issue. I don't even remember whose argument I liked well enough to choose breaking from the right when all things are equal. It had to do with what he considered the relative value of the shots that became difficult each way.

Comment

If your skill sets are where they should be, the pocket you take should be a non-issue unless the table is skewed in some fashion.

Comment

Working...
                              X