Jeff Gates' Greatest Trick Shots

Diane D.

AMAZING! The Greatest Trick Shots by Jeff Gates made at Chris' Billiards in Chicago are on You Tube now. Please let me know what you think--like, leave a comment, and subscribe. These are the beginning of more to come. Click on the link below the box to watch.

[ame]http://youtu.be/PQL_U-Hfi_s[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Diane; YOU did an absolutely fantastic job with this video! I know Jeff would REALLY be proud of you bringing the World into Jeff's world!

I'm really impressed that you made it possible, just to be able to see these shots again!

Once again, GREAT job!

Diane D.

Posting problems

Posting problems

Thanks, but on a new thread on onepocket I put the wrong link. I can't seem to delete this even though I went into edit. HELP!! And now I realize the bottom link works. This is one for me to learn--haha!

Diane

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
AMAZING! The Greatest Trick Shots by Jeff Gates made at Chris' Billiards in Chicago are on You Tube now. Please let me know what you think--like, leave a comment, and subscribe. These are the beginning of more to come. Click on the link below the box to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQL_U-Hfi_s&list=UUiVhCsrCBf3JDK111aCqCkA

Hi Diane.....I was a friend of Jeff's for many, many years..we played quite a few games of One Pocket over that time, and also I watched him practice the multi-ball trick shots for years. I also visited him in Florida over the winter about 12 yrs. ago.

Congratulations on what you've done so far - the first video looks great! - keep up the good work..and I think, audio-wise, the electronic sound effects mixed with the sound of the balls was a perfect choice - much better than having some cheesy music playing, like most pool videos have.

I'm sure Jeff is smiling up there.

Best Regards, Ghost/Bruce/Luke

Ok, Doc said I'm supposed to conclude the wwyd now...

No surprise, that the cagey Billy I. made note of what I mused in my initial post...

there's a reason why Ghost put this particular position up for debate. and remember what his question was.

I'm curious to see who picks the shot that I liked here, and chose to shoot.

Dr. Bill

That said..it's kinda surprising that nobody spotted the shot that I did shoot - maybe in the pic the cut looks too thin to be manageable...

But first of all, as for the feasibilityavailablity /of a couple of the other suggestions - some weren't available or laying right - which you can't exactly tell from the picture..i.e...

There was too much angle to bank the 10 ball straight back, and hold the cueball within reason...

Billy's combo-bank was lined up to go a little too high - as he thought it may have been...

And Tom's 2-railer wasn't laying quite right - the tangent line, cueball-to-the-9 was laying aimed dead ahead at the left top corner pocket..I would have had to cut the 9 to the right to play the 2-railer, and cutting it, would have precluded my being able to do the right thing with the cueball...and also the left edge of the 3 ball was very close to being in the way of the 9 coming off of the second rail.

So anyway...since I do generally hit cross-corners well, including tough off-angle ones, and I like shooting them..I shot the thin-hit cross corner bank of the 6 ball, with the intention of having it kick in my 2 ball...

I chose to shoot it knowing that after the 6 kicks in the 2 (if I hit it good enough to make it) the 6 will bounce right up in front of my pocket, giving me perfect position for a simple second shot...and also, I know that this shot will come out safe if I miss = with a short firm draw stroke, I'll have the cueball strike the 9 ball full - this will cause the cueball to stop right there, leaving Pat still safely doubled up on his 12..and it will also open up the 10 ball for me...

My result being...I hit it pretty good, the cueball stopping where I meant it to - but my hit on the 6 wasn't quite good enough to make the 2 - I banked it a little short, and it hit just above my pocket, then dropping down to where you see it now.

- Ghost

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Incredible Diane!!! You did a real nice job putting this first video together and I can't wait to see more!! I can probably edit your opening post as administrator.

Steve

Diane D.

Jeff Gates Greatest Trick Shots

Steve,

Thanks for the compliment about the You Tube post and for helping to fix my opening and link. It looks much better!

Diane D.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve,

Thanks for the compliment about the You Tube post and for helping to fix my opening and link. It looks much better!

Diane D.

Your original link was to a youtube "list" but so far you only have the one video -- but we look forward to more :)

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Thanks Diane

Thanks Diane

I knew Jeff,from Chris`s...Played some one pocket & 3-cushion with him & watched him in the back room,mastering his Multi Ball shots...Thanks for keeping his memory & legacy alive...Great ob on the video...Looking forward for many more!

Diane D.

Steve,

I sent you a private message, but didn't see it in my messages sent, so here goes again. You helped me with my link to You Tube, and I was wondering if I could make that link the first one people see when they click on the message link with the title of Jeff Gates Greatest Trick Shots. Now I notice that everyone's comments come first. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

Diane D.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve,

I sent you a private message, but didn't see it in my messages sent, so here goes again. You helped me with my link to You Tube, and I was wondering if I could make that link the first one people see when they click on the message link with the title of Jeff Gates Greatest Trick Shots. Now I notice that everyone's comments come first. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

Diane D.
I don't think I can rearrange the posts. However, the order in which they are viewed is actually a user preference. If you are not logged in or are not a member, I think you always see the oldest first, progressing on through to end with the newest. However, once you are a member, I believe the default is to see the newest posts first, progressing backwards to the oldest. The reason for that is, that if you already a member, the presumption is that you have already been doing some reading, so the default is set up to highlight the newest posts that you have not yet read. People who visit often probably prefer that (to see the newest first). I do know some people still like to see the oldest first -- to each his own, lol.

Diane D.

Your Response

Your Response

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I guess that makes sense, although, I would prefer to have videos or the important info first. Oh well, a matter of preference.

We'll be posting more soon. Thanks for your help.

Diane D.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

...and we are sure looking forward to watching this progress to yet more balls pocketed in one shot!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/PQL_U-Hfi_s[/ame]

PS to Diane, this would be considered a little "bump" -- perfectly acceptable when necessary :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That's an astounding shot! He really had to smack it to generate enough speed to impart to the other balls; at least as much force used as for a break shot. Notice how the CB jumps off the foot rail. Really something...

~Doc