8 Champions - Nick Varner & Scott Rabon on Commentary!! Sept 30- Oct 2, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
    Bigtruck, are you referring to entry fees, Calcutta, or something else? If entry fees, how much is the entry fee?

Thanks~

Doc

Doc,

Those are pieces of entry fees available. The entry fee is $6,000. Some have put up the money to guarantee the player and they will sell part(s). If they sell those parts they will put that right back in on another player.

Ray
    Last edited by Bigtruck; 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bstroud View Post
      I just don't see why players would put up 10K eachwhen the house is putting up NOTHING.

Why not just match up a gamble for the 10K?

Bill S.
      Yeah Bill you see how often that's been happening??? There must be something going on behind the scenes that Bill Stroud isn't privy to, for these to keep happening.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
        Scott is also very good Doc and can play with just about anybody. He is a little under the radar IMO.

I saw him gamble with a very good well known player in a long session at Derby City and he was more than holding his own.
        Yeah, Scott plays good, and unfortunately, here's how I first found out...

When I did good in that 2001 Grady's Legends tournament that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago...after I beat Danny Harriman to reach 8th place, all the other guys left in the tournament, except one, were big names like Frost, Parica, Nevel, Cliff, etc. - the one unknown name/player left was Scott Rabon...well I looked at the board and I was psyched when I saw that I got lucky and ducked all the big names - instead Scott was my next match...but I got less psyched as the match went on and I saw that Scott never missed anything ...so it turned out that Scott that knocked me out of the tournament 4-2.

- Ghost

PS, And besides being an excellent One Pocket player, Scott's a good guy.
        jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
          I don't like to speak against any promoter who is promoting pool events, however, I agree with Stroud in that the venue should put up some money as "added money" at least $3,000. When I held my one pocket tournament in Dallas six or seven years ago at Diamonds (my club) we added $5.000 and had a nice turn out.

I would love to hold this kind of a tournament in Dallas and put up nothing for the players, but that's wouldn't be fair to the players and something I wouldn't do. Are they running a Calcutta? If so then the money taken from the Calcutta pool should go into the prize money. Jmo

Hope the players play well and enjoy themselves, i'm going to try and make it up there to sweat and maybe do a little "gambling" just a little.

Dr. Bill
          What makes you guys think Smokin Aces isn't putting up plenty? FYI The Calcutta is 100% payout too

The players aren't randomly selecting Poplar Bluff, Mo I assure you.

ANY of you that like to see a lot of top guys get together and battle it out. Get with Mikey Mckuin and get you a piece of player. 573-718-1177

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtruck View Post
            What makes you guys think Smokin Aces isn't putting up plenty? FYI The Calcutta is 100% payout too

ANY of you that like to see a lot of top guys get together and battle it out. Get with Mikey Mckuin and get you a piece of player. 573-718-1177

Ray
            hey ray...
            there are at least two of us (possibly/probably four) from STL area coming down to sweat/support the event on wednesday. i know of two other guys that will be down there tuesday and planning to stay for duration. i've heard the place has two diamonds and brought in two more for the event....is that right? looking forward to it.
            dustin

Comment

Ray
              Sorry, my bad, I assumed from what Stroud said that there was no added money to the prize fund and 100% of the Calcutta pool is returned to the winners is very generous. Good luck with the tournament.

Bill Incardona

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                hey ray...
                there are at least two of us (possibly/probably four) from STL area coming down to sweat/support the event on wednesday. i know of two other guys that will be down there tuesday and planning to stay for duration. i've heard the place has two diamonds and brought in two more for the event....is that right? looking forward to it.
                dustin
                Yes. Also as soon as we are down to 2 tables the extra 9fts will come out and the Bar Tables will be moved back in for the $5000 added 9 ball that starts on Saturday.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, my bad, I assumed from what Stroud said that there was no added money to the prize fund and 100% of the Calcutta pool is returned to the winners is very generous. Good luck with the tournament.

Bill Incardona
                  Thanks Billy. You will really Like Mikey McKuin. He likes to stir up the action and ain't afraid to make it happen.

If you're coming I recommend to get a reserved VIP seat. Just let me know if you would like one. Of course you are always welcome to join the best seats in the house any time.

Ray

Comment

Art, i'm suggesting that the normal 10% cut the Calcutta promoter gets should be added to the prize fund, not the entire Calcutta pool...

Bill Incardona
                    Oh, if you meant only 10%, then that's different. You left that part out. I think a lot of event promoters would appreciate that.

I don't believe that's common down here. The Calcuttas are usually independent of the prize fund. Perhaps some the large events work a deal with the Calcutta promoter/operator.

What is interesting is that for the bigger events where loads of Calcutta betting is anticipated, they hire a guy who is good at moving the auction and drawing more money out of the crowd. Some of the guys who handle the auctioning are practically pros-- like auctioneers you'd hear at large car events. Some people come just to watch the show!

I wish I could make the event. It sounds like a blast.

~Doc

Comment

Ray,

I they don't put the information on the poster or post it online how is anyone supposed to know if anything is added to the prize fund?

Wasn't the entry fee 10K originally?

Bill S.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                        Oh, if you meant only 10%, then that's different. You left that part out. I think a lot of event promoters would appreciate that.

I don't believe that's common down here. The Calcuttas are usually independent of the prize fund. Perhaps some the large events work a deal with the Calcutta promoter/operator.

What is interesting is that for the bigger events where loads of Calcutta betting is anticipated, they hire a guy who is good at moving the auction and drawing more money out of the crowd. Some of the guys who handle the auctioning are practically pros-- like auctioneers you'd hear at large car events. Some people come just to watch the show!

I wish I could make the event. It sounds like a blast.

~Doc
                        Didn't know that the Calcutta was run by independent promoters, unlike years ago when most all Calcuttas were held by the same people that ran the tournaments. Grady used to auction off players in some of the Calcuttas that were held back then. Many of the tournaments that were held in the south that had Calcuttas were promoted by the room owners and a 10% cut was taken from the pool for the house. Lexington was one in particular that I remember that happening, along with the Willard tournaments as well. I believe Don Macky held Calcuttas in some of his events for the WPBA except the 10% was added to the Macky fund.

Bill Incardona

Comment

Thanks Billy. You will really Like Mikey McKuin. He likes to stir up the action and ain't afraid to make it happen.

If you're coming I recommend to get a reserved VIP seat. Just let me know if you would like one. Of course you are always welcome to join the best seats in the house any time.

Ray
                          Thanks Ray for the invite, i'm going to try to make it down there i'm about 50-50 right now whether or not I can. Once again..good luck to you guys with the tournament and the Calcutta. By the way if one were to buy a piece of any of the players that didn't have the full entry fee up would it be a negotiation between the person helping with the money and the player to negotiate a percentage for each? Or is there something already understood like a 50% 50% cut or 60% -40% cut or something similar to that..just curious.

Bill Incardona

Comment

Thanks Ray for the invite, i'm going to try to make it down there i'm about 50-50 right now whether or not I can. Once again..good luck to you guys with the tournament and the Calcutta. By the way if one were to buy a piece of any of the players that didn't have the full entry fee up would it be a negotiation between the person helping with the money and the player to negotiate a percentage for each? Or is there something already understood like a 50% 50% cut or 60% -40% cut or something similar to that..just curious.

Bill Incardona
                            The cut would have to stay uniform with the other partners. Cost from the top and 50/50 on net.

Ray

Comment

Didn't know that the Calcutta was run by independent promoters, unlike years ago when most all Calcuttas were held by the same people that ran the tournaments. Grady used to auction off players in some of the Calcuttas that were held back then. Many of the tournaments that were held in the south that had Calcuttas were promoted by the room owners and a 10% cut was taken from the pool for the house. Lexington was one in particular that I remember that happening, along with the Willard tournaments as well. I believe Don Macky held Calcuttas in some of his events for the WPBA except the 10% was added to the Macky fund.

Bill Incardona
                              Well you're right. I didn't mean to infer that all the Calcuttas (or even most of them) were run by outside promoters. In fact nearly all of them are run by either the room owner or another local poolroom guy. But most often the Calcutta money is separate and independent of the prize money in any way. And no percentage is expected for the house.

Notably in some states Calcuttas or "player auctions" are illegal. Yet many areas today have much laxer rules due to the prevalence of other forms of gambling.

When I ran two day events, Calcuttas were welcomed. But in one day events they take too damn long, and thereby really delay the tournament start time.

~Doc

Comment

The cut would have to stay uniform with the other partners. Cost from the top and 50/50 on net.

Ray
                                Ray, I too am curious. If the entry fee is $6000 and a guy chips in $600 (10%) for a particular player's entry, and the player cashes, would he get 10% of the winnings, or would he get 10% of the 50% to which you referred? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks~
                                Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X