“Don’t kill Hamlet in the first act.”

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

I’m not certain who first uttered those words of wisdom, but the quote made me think of pool hustlers. As in … don’t show your true speed early in the encounter.
And … like that.

Is hustling pool these days a mostly bygone pastime?

Or are there still nooks and crannies where a talented entrepreneur can sidle into a room and lemonade his way out of there with some serious cheese? (Don’t you just love the jargon!)

I’m curious … what are some of the classic hustles you know about? Beyond the obvious - - playing below speed, losing money early and then upping the wager, etc.

Example?

I so enjoy NYC-chatting with a couple of the senior scufflers around town.

Here’s one old-time mini-scam that a certain lovable reprobate shared with me. It’s a classic sucker bet. Proposition bet? Anyway, the schtick involves the cue ball and an object ball.

Place the object ball just in front of a far corner pocket. The ball is almost falling into the hole. Position the cue ball against the middle of the opposite end rail.

Explain to the mark that it’s not so much skill, that it’s mostly just a mental challenge for him. Even with the cue ball frozen to the rail, it should still be a snap for him to pocket the object ball.

One stipulation.

The poor hoser (and this is the psychological part as he understands it) first has to first walk around the table and … he has to stare at the object ball the entire time.

Of course many of you already know the drill … the hustler licks his thumb and wets the tip of the cue. Which he then hands to the unsuspecting schmo.

Splish-Splash, miscue!

So … what are some of your favorite hustles?

Straying over conventional boundaries is my life,

Sunny

P. S. My interest in larceny, petty and otherwise, has nothing - - zero! - - to do with a former beau who toiled in the City of London and is now on Wall Street. As always, my inquiries are purely scholastic. And innocent.

Well, scholastic.

Bye for now! I shall General-MacArthur you one day very soon.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
We Martians are probably not going to be all that impressed with your command of the Venusian language.

pj <- assuming you're talking to us
chgo

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Dear Gentle Readers,

I’m not certain who first uttered those words of wisdom, but the quote made me think of pool hustlers. As in … don’t show your true speed early in the encounter.
And … like that.

Is hustling pool these days a mostly bygone pastime?

Or are there still nooks and crannies where a talented entrepreneur can sidle into a room and lemonade his way out of there with some serious cheese? (Don’t you just love the jargon!)

I’m curious … what are some of the classic hustles you know about? Beyond the obvious - - playing below speed, losing money early and then upping the wager, etc.

Example?

I so enjoy NYC-chatting with a couple of the senior scufflers around town.

Here’s one old-time mini-scam that a certain lovable reprobate shared with me. It’s a classic sucker bet. Proposition bet? Anyway, the schtick involves the cue ball and an object ball.

Place the object ball just in front of a far corner pocket. The ball is almost falling into the hole. Position the cue ball against the middle of the opposite end rail.

Explain to the mark that it’s not so much skill, that it’s mostly just a mental challenge for him. Even with the cue ball frozen to the rail, it should still be a snap for him to pocket the object ball.

One stipulation.

The poor hoser (and this is the psychological part as he understands it) first has to first walk around the table and … he has to stare at the object ball the entire time.

Of course many of you already know the drill … the hustler licks his thumb and wets the tip of the cue. Which he then hands to the unsuspecting schmo.

Splish-Splash, miscue!

So … what are some of your favorite hustles?

Straying over conventional boundaries is my life,

Sunny

P. S. My interest in larceny, petty and otherwise, has nothing - - zero! - - to do with a former beau who toiled in the City of London and is now on Wall Street. As always, my inquiries are purely scholastic. And innocent.

Well, scholastic.

Bye for now! I shall General-MacArthur you one day very soon.

^ Insipid.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SUYT or GTFO.

Good job using the acronyms to get past the censors Dan...:heh...I wonder how many guys did, or didn't, decipher them...howsabout this - let's us code-breakers play 'quasi-Jeopardy' for those that didn't suss out the acronyms..:)..I'll start...

The letter u stands for - us.

- Ghost

keoneyo

Verified Member
If youre going to relegate SJD to MEMBERS CAFE only this should go to.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sorry, but I like STFU & GTFO better......who wants to see the Ts on that crusty old demented bat? Probably sag down to her belly button!!

Ouch.....Regrettably, DWS doesn't appreciate the value of, and necessity for, subtlety whilst skewering, as does the Ghost...:heh

- Ghost <------delineating is my life

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Ouch.....Regrettably, DWS doesn't appreciate the value of, and necessity for, subtlety whilst skewering, as does the Ghost...:heh

- Ghost <------delineating is my life

Tried subtlety.....doesn't work with this one......have to use dull, rusty blade and go for the throat