Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Don’t kill Hamlet in the first act.”

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • “Don’t kill Hamlet in the first act.”

    Dear Gentle Readers,

    I’m not certain who first uttered those words of wisdom, but the quote made me think of pool hustlers. As in … don’t show your true speed early in the encounter.
    And … like that.

    Is hustling pool these days a mostly bygone pastime?

    Or are there still nooks and crannies where a talented entrepreneur can sidle into a room and lemonade his way out of there with some serious cheese? (Don’t you just love the jargon!)

    I’m curious … what are some of the classic hustles you know about? Beyond the obvious - - playing below speed, losing money early and then upping the wager, etc.

    Example?

    I so enjoy NYC-chatting with a couple of the senior scufflers around town.

    Here’s one old-time mini-scam that a certain lovable reprobate shared with me. It’s a classic sucker bet. Proposition bet? Anyway, the schtick involves the cue ball and an object ball.

    Place the object ball just in front of a far corner pocket. The ball is almost falling into the hole. Position the cue ball against the middle of the opposite end rail.

    Explain to the mark that it’s not so much skill, that it’s mostly just a mental challenge for him. Even with the cue ball frozen to the rail, it should still be a snap for him to pocket the object ball.

    One stipulation.

    The poor hoser (and this is the psychological part as he understands it) first has to first walk around the table and … he has to stare at the object ball the entire time.

    Of course many of you already know the drill … the hustler licks his thumb and wets the tip of the cue. Which he then hands to the unsuspecting schmo.

    Splish-Splash, miscue!

    So … what are some of your favorite hustles?

    Straying over conventional boundaries is my life,

    Sunny

    P. S. My interest in larceny, petty and otherwise, has nothing - - zero! - - to do with a former beau who toiled in the City of London and is now on Wall Street. As always, my inquiries are purely scholastic. And innocent.

    Well, scholastic.

    Bye for now! I shall General-MacArthur you one day very soon.

  • #2
    We Martians are probably not going to be all that impressed with your command of the Venusian language.

    pj <- assuming you're talking to us
    chgo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sunnyone View Post
      Dear Gentle Readers,

      I’m not certain who first uttered those words of wisdom, but the quote made me think of pool hustlers. As in … don’t show your true speed early in the encounter.
      And … like that.

      Is hustling pool these days a mostly bygone pastime?

      Or are there still nooks and crannies where a talented entrepreneur can sidle into a room and lemonade his way out of there with some serious cheese? (Don’t you just love the jargon!)

      I’m curious … what are some of the classic hustles you know about? Beyond the obvious - - playing below speed, losing money early and then upping the wager, etc.

      Example?

      I so enjoy NYC-chatting with a couple of the senior scufflers around town.

      Here’s one old-time mini-scam that a certain lovable reprobate shared with me. It’s a classic sucker bet. Proposition bet? Anyway, the schtick involves the cue ball and an object ball.

      Place the object ball just in front of a far corner pocket. The ball is almost falling into the hole. Position the cue ball against the middle of the opposite end rail.

      Explain to the mark that it’s not so much skill, that it’s mostly just a mental challenge for him. Even with the cue ball frozen to the rail, it should still be a snap for him to pocket the object ball.

      One stipulation.

      The poor hoser (and this is the psychological part as he understands it) first has to first walk around the table and … he has to stare at the object ball the entire time.

      Of course many of you already know the drill … the hustler licks his thumb and wets the tip of the cue. Which he then hands to the unsuspecting schmo.

      Splish-Splash, miscue!

      So … what are some of your favorite hustles?

      Straying over conventional boundaries is my life,

      Sunny

      P. S. My interest in larceny, petty and otherwise, has nothing - - zero! - - to do with a former beau who toiled in the City of London and is now on Wall Street. As always, my inquiries are purely scholastic. And innocent.

      Well, scholastic.

      Bye for now! I shall General-MacArthur you one day very soon.

      ^ Insipid.
      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

      Comment


      • #4
        gentle readers

        perfectly described,Spectre.

        Comment


        • #5
          SUYT or GTFO.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by straightback View Post
            SUYT or GTFO.
            Good job using the acronyms to get past the censors Dan......I wonder how many guys did, or didn't, decipher them...howsabout this - let's us code-breakers play 'quasi-Jeopardy' for those that didn't suss out the acronyms....I'll start...

            The letter u stands for - us.

            - Ghost
            jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

            Comment


            • #7
              No way I'm gonna do that - with you going first, you're gonna make ME type "tits.". No way I'm doing that, Ghosty.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by straightback View Post
                SUYT or GTFO.
                Sorry, but I like STFU & GTFO better......who wants to see the Ts on that crusty old demented bat? Probably sag down to her belly button!!
                Last edited by DWS; 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM. Reason: misspell

                Comment


                • #9
                  If youre going to relegate SJD to MEMBERS CAFE only this should go to.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DWS View Post
                    Sorry, but I like STFU & GTFO better......who wants to see the Ts on that crusty old demented bat? Probably sag down to her belly button!!

                    Ouch.....Regrettably, DWS doesn't appreciate the value of, and necessity for, subtlety whilst skewering, as does the Ghost...

                    - Ghost <------delineating is my life
                    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                      Ouch.....Regrettably, DWS doesn't appreciate the value of, and necessity for, subtlety whilst skewering, as does the Ghost...

                      - Ghost <------delineating is my life
                      Tried subtlety.....doesn't work with this one......have to use dull, rusty blade and go for the throat

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X