Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce Yourself New Members!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
    Well I guess we should play some Saturday. About 1?
    I think they're having a 9 ball tournament this Saturday. I should be there about 1130 and will play some till tournament time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Wonit68 View Post
      I think they're having a 9 ball tournament this Saturday. I should be there about 1130 and will play some till tournament time.
      Ok, I just seen that. I thought it wasn't for two weeks. I might play in it again.

      Comment


      • New Old Guy

        Hi All,
        Some call me Ozzie, actually my middle name, after the 1930s band leader Ozzie Nelson. I'm 81.
        I started playing pool at about 15 yrs old, played a lot in my 20s and 30s, never real good, but one doesn't need to be, to beat most guys hanging around a room. In college I played a lot of 3 cushion.
        Up until about two months ago I hadn't played for 40 years!
        In a neighborhood blog I saw a guy looking to play pool, 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket, new in town. One pocket, that caught my attention. I wrote that if I were 20 years younger I'd take him on. After a while he convinced me to give it a try.
        Well those balls just wouldn't go to where I was sending them, what the hell.
        We've been playing once a week, for about an hour and a half; I get tired, physically and mentally. I started to practice a little, only about 5 hours a week, and the stroke is starting to straighten out. Yesterday we played 5 games and I won the last one! Yaaa! Hal has an eagle eye. He's 70.
        We're in Sarasota and there is only one pool room and not many players that we've seen. Haven't seen any one pocket.
        I have lots of stories I could tell, unfortunately not about one pocket.
        I don't expect to post a lot, but I will read.
        Cheers,
        Ozzie

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ozzieii View Post
          Hi All,
          Some call me Ozzie, actually my middle name, after the 1930s band leader Ozzie Nelson. I'm 81.
          I started playing pool at about 15 yrs old, played a lot in my 20s and 30s, never real good, but one doesn't need to be, to beat most guys hanging around a room. In college I played a lot of 3 cushion.
          Up until about two months ago I hadn't played for 40 years!
          In a neighborhood blog I saw a guy looking to play pool, 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket, new in town. One pocket, that caught my attention. I wrote that if I were 20 years younger I'd take him on. After a while he convinced me to give it a try.
          Well those balls just wouldn't go to where I was sending them, what the hell.
          We've been playing once a week, for about an hour and a half; I get tired, physically and mentally. I started to practice a little, only about 5 hours a week, and the stroke is starting to straighten out. Yesterday we played 5 games and I won the last one! Yaaa! Hal has an eagle eye. He's 70.
          We're in Sarasota and there is only one pool room and not many players that we've seen. Haven't seen any one pocket.
          I have lots of stories I could tell, unfortunately not about one pocket.
          I don't expect to post a lot, but I will read.
          Cheers,
          Ozzie
          Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask questions if you need help navigating around or have one pocket questions. Lots of good pool knowledge on here.

          Comment


          • hi ozzie
            welcome..
            i would love to hear your stories
            larry

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ozzieii View Post
              Hi All,
              Some call me Ozzie, actually my middle name, after the 1930s band leader Ozzie Nelson. I'm 81.
              I started playing pool at about 15 yrs old, played a lot in my 20s and 30s, never real good, but one doesn't need to be, to beat most guys hanging around a room. In college I played a lot of 3 cushion.
              Up until about two months ago I hadn't played for 40 years!
              In a neighborhood blog I saw a guy looking to play pool, 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket, new in town. One pocket, that caught my attention. I wrote that if I were 20 years younger I'd take him on. After a while he convinced me to give it a try.
              Well those balls just wouldn't go to where I was sending them, what the hell.
              We've been playing once a week, for about an hour and a half; I get tired, physically and mentally. I started to practice a little, only about 5 hours a week, and the stroke is starting to straighten out. Yesterday we played 5 games and I won the last one! Yaaa! Hal has an eagle eye. He's 70.
              We're in Sarasota and there is only one pool room and not many players that we've seen. Haven't seen any one pocket.
              I have lots of stories I could tell, unfortunately not about one pocket.
              I don't expect to post a lot, but I will read.
              Cheers,
              Ozzie
              Welcome to the family Ozzie! Don't be a stranger, we love old pool playing stories.

              Comment


              • Old Story

                Any tale I have would be over 40 years back and there wasn't much one pocket then I think.
                Maybe this isn't the proper place to post.
                But one that comes to mind:
                In the 60s I was living in Harrisburg PA and Willie Mosconi came to town to shoot an exhibition, one in the afternoon, one that evening. The guy he was to play was a local called Stoney; never knew his real name. Stoney always claimed to be the best one hand player around and could do some amazing one hand masse shots.
                Anyway Stoney asked Willie to play a kid from the coal regions; an unknown just out of the army, who wanted to become a pro, a dynamite stick. Willie argued but agreed.
                In these exhibitions Willie played a painfully slow, somewhat affected game, methodically circling the table feeling the cloth, etc. The game was 150 points straight pool. Willie broke and they played safeties for a bit and then a few points here and there, Willie playing at the speed of melting ice and the kid playing rather quickly. The 24 year old got an opening and ran 90 balls in what seemed like moments, making the great player seem the fool.
                The kid was Lou Butera; later know as Machine Gun Lou Butera, who at one point in his career ran 150 balls in 12 minutes.
                Willie did win the match but wouldn't play Lou that night, excusing that the fans had come to see Stoney play.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ozzieii View Post
                  Any tale I have would be over 40 years back and there wasn't much one pocket then I think.
                  Maybe this isn't the proper place to post.
                  But one that comes to mind:
                  In the 60s I was living in Harrisburg PA and Willie Mosconi came to town to shoot an exhibition, one in the afternoon, one that evening. The guy he was to play was a local called Stoney; never knew his real name. Stoney always claimed to be the best one hand player around and could do some amazing one hand masse shots.
                  Anyway Stoney asked Willie to play a kid from the coal regions; an unknown just out of the army, who wanted to become a pro, a dynamite stick. Willie argued but agreed.
                  In these exhibitions Willie played a painfully slow, somewhat affected game, methodically circling the table feeling the cloth, etc. The game was 150 points straight pool. Willie broke and they played safeties for a bit and then a few points here and there, Willie playing at the speed of melting ice and the kid playing rather quickly. The 24 year old got an opening and ran 90 balls in what seemed like moments, making the great player seem the fool.
                  The kid was Lou Butera; later know as Machine Gun Lou Butera, who at one point in his career ran 150 balls in 12 minutes.
                  Willie did win the match but wouldn't play Lou that night, excusing that the fans had come to see Stoney play.
                  Love it! Great story. It's always interesting to hear tales like this. I grew up listening to Fats' tell his tall tales. As a kid he lived about 5 minutes away from me. He would frequent my grandmother's restaurant. We always kept scraps for his neighborhood dogs and cats. He was quite the character.

                  Comment


                  • Another memory

                    The Casino Pool Room in Harrisburg Pa was in the basement of a movie theater. That's not to imply that it wasn't a very nice pool room. There were 5 billiard tables down the center of the room, (Willie Hoppe had played there), flanked by pool tables 5 on one side, 4 on the other, ( so there was room for the office). The entrance was from another time even then in the late 1950s. You descended a stairway of maybe 10 steps, probably 8 feet wide to a platform that held an abandoned two seat shoe shine stand. In front of the stand another set of a half dozen steps led to the room floor.
                    It was summer, probably '58 or '59, I had a summer job as a time keeper in a boiler factory; 3 to 11 shift. I was in the Casino shooting 8 ball before work as I did most days that summer.
                    From somewhere behind me, I hear Stoney say, " I know you, you're Boston Shorty". Standing on the platform was a short man wearing a hat, flanked by two rather large men, one carrying a briefcase. "Hi ya, Stoney, I came to play nine ball".
                    "Yeah, sure, we can play nine ball, ,,,, but not here, over at the Alley"
                    Guys gambled at the Casino, but kind of quietly, low handed passing of the money. The Alley room was wide open.
                    I thought, crap I'm going to miss this, I have to go to work.
                    Well, after work I thought I'd stop by the Alley, find out what happened.
                    They were still there! Eight or nine hours later they were still playing nine ball; ten bucks a pop. In the late 50s that was a big nine ball wager, like maybe a hundred or two now.
                    I watched. They each made some miracle shots, and missed some easy ones. Very often when Shorty missed, Stoney was left safe. Was he hustlin', I don't know.
                    I watched for a while; Stoney left for a while to fetch some more money I think; and after a while he quit. "You're too good Shorty; lucky too"
                    It wasn't until years later that I became aware that Boston Shorty was rather well know "player", and I thought back to that game.
                    There's a short video on Youtube of him playing Machine Gun Lou Butera.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ozzieii View Post
                      The Casino Pool Room in Harrisburg Pa was in the basement of a movie theater. That's not to imply that it wasn't a very nice pool room. There were 5 billiard tables down the center of the room, (Willie Hoppe had played there), flanked by pool tables 5 on one side, 4 on the other, ( so there was room for the office). The entrance was from another time even then in the late 1950s. You descended a stairway of maybe 10 steps, probably 8 feet wide to a platform that held an abandoned two seat shoe shine stand. In front of the stand another set of a half dozen steps led to the room floor.
                      It was summer, probably '58 or '59, I had a summer job as a time keeper in a boiler factory; 3 to 11 shift. I was in the Casino shooting 8 ball before work as I did most days that summer.
                      From somewhere behind me, I hear Stoney say, " I know you, you're Boston Shorty". Standing on the platform was a short man wearing a hat, flanked by two rather large men, one carrying a briefcase. "Hi ya, Stoney, I came to play nine ball".
                      "Yeah, sure, we can play nine ball, ,,,, but not here, over at the Alley"
                      Guys gambled at the Casino, but kind of quietly, low handed passing of the money. The Alley room was wide open.
                      I thought, crap I'm going to miss this, I have to go to work.
                      Well, after work I thought I'd stop by the Alley, find out what happened.
                      They were still there! Eight or nine hours later they were still playing nine ball; ten bucks a pop. In the late 50s that was a big nine ball wager, like maybe a hundred or two now.
                      I watched. They each made some miracle shots, and missed some easy ones. Very often when Shorty missed, Stoney was left safe. Was he hustlin', I don't know.
                      I watched for a while; Stoney left for a while to fetch some more money I think; and after a while he quit. "You're too good Shorty; lucky too"
                      It wasn't until years later that I became aware that Boston Shorty was rather well know "player", and I thought back to that game.
                      There's a short video on Youtube of him playing Machine Gun Lou Butera.
                      This kind of story is great! Thank you Ozzie and keep them coming.
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

                      Comment


                      • Hey guys, im Cj. Im located in La Quinta California, and love One pocket and banks. Ive lurked for so damn long figured id finally say hi. Tons of threads have helped me on this site specifically. I just wanted to say thanks, that includes many of the gentleman that have passed on. I read their posts and threads over the past few years and its quite cool how a thread/ postings of anyone of those individuals can keep a guy in your mind alive. Again thanks Onepocket org
                        Last edited by Mr.J; 09-16-2019, 01:47 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Trent from Toledo Here!

                          Trent from Toledo Here! I am in the pool table business. My main focus is on commercial Brunswick tables, Gold Crowns, Anniversary's and Centennials. I am also a Diamond Billiards Dealer and Technician. I have been learning one pocket for a year in January and I AM HOOKED. I am not very good at it compared to the good players in my area, but, I love the game and aspire to get better! I hope to make some new friends on here and learn more. Thanks!!


                          Trent from Toledo
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • welcome trent
                            i like many of your posts on azb
                            ask questions /post your thoughts/and have fun...
                            larry (bbb on azb)

                            Comment


                            • Introduce Yourself New Members!

                              Welcome to Trent and also Mr J!!! We slacked on your post. Glad you posted!
                              Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

                              Comment


                              • Welcome aboard new people!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X