Best Books and DVD's

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I'm a student of the game and have a collection of books and DVD's. I was wondering if anyone has others they really recommend that I do not have.

DVD's
Joe Tucker Racking Secrets
Mika Immonen Mastering Pool Volume 3
Grady Mathews - The Finishing Touch
GM - Only Kicks
GM - Killer One Pocket
GM - Sixteen Steps
GM - Finer Points of Banking & Safety Play
GM - Finer Points of One Pocket
GM - Straight Pool
Power One Pocket
Power One Pocket 2 (in mail)
Toledo Joes Game busting One Pocket
Banks that Don't Go But Do
Gabe Owen - One Pocket My Way (both Beginner and Advanced) (in mail)
The Secret Art of Pool - Lee Brett
Break Shot Patterns - Phil Capelle

Books
Pro Skill Drills - Safety Drills
Pro Skill Drills - One Pocket
Beat People with a Stick - Tom Simpson
Banking with the Beard
The GosPool of Bank Pool
Play your Best 8 ball
Play your Best 9 ball
Play your best Straight pool
Zen Pool
Stroke Zone
World of Trick shots - Mike Massey
A mind for Pool
Pool Players Edge
Precision Pool
99 Critical Shots
Illustrated Principles of Pool
Official Rules and Records Book
Zen Golf
Byrnes Complete Book of Pool
Upscale One Pocket

I am sure I missed some of what I have, but I'll try to update it. So does anyone have any suggestions for Must Have Books or DVD's that I don't have?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm a student of the game and have a collection of books and DVD's. I was wondering if anyone has others they really recommend that I do not have.

DVD's
Joe Tucker Racking Secrets
Mika Immonen Mastering Pool Volume 3
Grady Mathews - The Finishing Touch
GM - Only Kicks
GM - Killer One Pocket
GM - Sixteen Steps
GM - Finer Points of Banking & Safety Play
GM - Finer Points of One Pocket
GM - Straight Pool
Power One Pocket
Power One Pocket 2 (in mail)
Toledo Joes Game busting One Pocket
Banks that Don't Go But Do
Gabe Owen - One Pocket My Way (both Beginner and Advanced) (in mail)
The Secret Art of Pool - Lee Brett

Books
Pro Skill Drills - Safety Drills
Pro Skill Drills - One Pocket
Beat People with a Stick - Tom Simpson
Banking with the Beard
The GosPool of Bank Pool
Play your Best 8 ball
Play your Best 9 ball
Play your best Straight pool
Zen Pool
Stroke Zone
World of Trick shots - Mike Massey
A mind for Pool
Pool Players Edge
Precision Pool
99 Critical Shots
Illustrated Principles of Pool
Official Rules and Records Book
Zen Golf
Byrnes Complete Book of Pool
Upscale One Pocket

I am sure I missed some of what I have, but I'll try to update it. So does anyone have any suggestions for Must Have Books or DVD's that I don't have?

'Mastering Pool' by George Fels is a VERY good book, much to do with 14.1. Not alone, being the MOST prolific writer on the cue games of the past 40 years!

BTW, IMO, Toledo Joe's "Game Busting One Pocket" is an excellent DVD on one pocket. Almost forgot, Lee Brett's 'The Secret Art of Pool,' VERY good too.

Last edited:

Sure Lock

Dr. Bob Fancher - Pleasures of Small Motions

This is by far the best book on the mental side of pool I've ever read. I would suggest looking into NLP as well if you are interested in improving your mental game.

If you are willing to invest some $$$ you should pick up a copy of Winning One Pocket. IMO Upscale One Pocket won't help you beat anybody. WOP will help you beat everybody.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm a student of the game and have a collection of books and DVD's. I was wondering if anyone has others they really recommend that I do not have......

........I am sure I missed some of what I have, but I'll try to update it. So does anyone have any suggestions for Must Have Books or DVD's that I don't have?

WWWD...You may be on sensory overload !..From what I've seen, most pool 'authors' often offer conflicting opinions, on the finer points of the game anyway. (ego thing I guess)...Also, only about one in ten, really top notch players, can adequately express themselves, even with a the help of a 'ghost writer'! (who is usually just another frustrated 'author', who couldn't master the game himself) :rolleyes:

It sounds like you are spending WAY too much time reading, or watching DVDs, and not enough time actually playing your game of choice..Get out and mix it up more, with good player's..You'll soon find you will learn more in a few weeks, (even if you make bad match-ups)..than you will in 2-3 years of reading about it ! JMHO..;)

SJD <--Rarely ever cracked a book in school, and could still give Albert Einstein or Hank Longfellow, the 3 out, playing 9ball !..I'll admit, George Fels, Toledo Joe, and Lee Brett, I could not give quite that much weight ! :eek:

PS..The mental side of pool, is MUCH more important than the mechanical part !......Sure Lock is right about
Fancher, WOP and SMAS...Get those, and you can sh*t-can most of the rest ! ;)

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
WoW
I read a lot, nothing but fiction. I haven't read any of these, although some maybe fiction. :)
Rod.

That's true Rod...Except where they tell you to hit the cue ball on the bottom to draw, and on the top to follow, and how to form a bridge, most pool books contain a LOT of fiction ! :p

Pool author ! (between books)
View attachment 11141

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best Books and DVD's

This is by far the best book on the mental side of pool I've ever read. I would suggest looking into NLP as well if you are interested in improving your mental game.

I agree with this 100%

Skin

Verified Member

PS..The mental side of pool, is MUCH more important than the mechanical part

Amen to that, Dick. That's the missing piece of the puzzle for lots of guys. They haven't learned how to get out of their own way mentally so they can win. They think their problem is all physical.

Of course, the mental aspect is also true for everything that's competitive. It's what makes competition so addictive...or frustrating...for some guys.

Skin

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Get the two Eddie Robin's books, especially SMS! Very interesting and informative.

Straight, if you're looking to round out Eddie's trilogy of books. I have a copy that's NEVER been opened or read, MINT condition! Eddie's very first published work! "Position Play in Three Cushion Billiards." Signed and dated by Eddie. $300.00

View attachment 11144

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
hey wojo....

for what its worth, i'm not a big proponent of the "instructional" stuff, but i tend to buy and get around to watching them anyway. imo, some are just junk and some are good (i.e. grady's 1P and kick dvds, brumback's banks, cardone's 1P, and rempe's two 14.1). there are a couple of chapters on the freezer's new dvd that i am very interested in what he has to say about....

freddy had some video of willie jopling that was converted into a 2 dvd set. i was under the impression that once they were gone that would be the last of them - i don't know if any are still available or if you can get them through his daughter or not. but if i was forced to keep only one "instructional" dvd, that would be it.

:)

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
WWWD...You may be on sensory overload !..From what I've seen, most pool 'authors' often offer conflicting opinions, on the finer points of the game anyway. (ego thing I guess)...Also, only about one in ten, really top notch players, can adequately express themselves, even with a the help of a 'ghost writer'! (who is usually just another frustrated 'author', who couldn't master the game himself) :rolleyes:

It sounds like you are spending WAY too much time reading, or watching DVDs, and not enough time actually playing your game of choice..Get out and mix it up more, with good player's..You'll soon find you will learn more in a few weeks, (even if you make bad match-ups)..than you will in 2-3 years of reading about it ! JMHO..;)

SJD <--Rarely ever cracked a book in school, and could still give Albert Einstein or Hank Longfellow, the 3 out, playing 9ball !..I'll admit, George Fels, Toledo Joe, and Lee Brett, I could not give quite that much weight ! :eek:

PS..The mental side of pool, is MUCH more important than the mechanical part !......Sure Lock is right about
Fancher, WOP and SMAS...Get those, and you can sh*t-can most of the rest ! ;)

It's not sensory overload. I've collected most of the books over the last 8 -10 years and most of the DVD's in the last 2 years. I work 2 jobs and don't play as much as I would like but usually 2 days I get to the pool hall and play One Pocket for 3-7 hours.

I started playing One Pocket maybe a year ago. The biggest thing I've noticed is how valuable knowledge is in the game. Starting out a year ago what players would say about me and 1P is "he shoots straight" and "he can run balls". But I would play too aggressively and sell out too often. I'd say 6 months ago players were noticing more conservative play, more power moves (Scott Frost style), better banking and cue ball control. Now my game is much more solid all around. I feel I need to get more knowledge about 1P and keep learning as many shots as possible. These books and DVD's have been helping me improve within 1 year what might have taken other players 10 years of just playing.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member

If you are willing to invest some $$$ you should pick up a copy of Winning One Pocket. IMO Upscale One Pocket won't help you beat anybody. WOP will help you beat everybody.

I use to have Pleasures of Small Motions and let someone borrow it, but never got it back.

I've learned a new way to not lose items you lend out. When I give them the book/dvd I take a picture of them holding it. When they give it back to me I delete the picture. Works every time (plus the pictures time stamp shows when you gave it to them).

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
SMS, WOP and PP

SMS, WOP and PP

What makes these 3 books so expensive?

SMS sells for $160
WOP sells for over $500
PP as mentioned by Mr3Cushion is selling for $300

Is it just so few copies of them? If the books are that good, why doesn't the Author/Publisher create a revised edition and sell more to make more money?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

SMS sells for $160
WOP sells for over $500

Is it just so few copies of them? If the books are that good, why doesn't the Author/Publisher create a revised edition and sell more to make more money?
As I understand it, there's a legal impasse between Robin and the publisher. Perhaps some of the guys have more inside info on the beef.

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Sure Lock:

Mkbtank:
I agree with this 100%
Me too. So that makes, uh, 101%...?

My synopsis: you play best when you're enjoying the process and not worrying about the outcome.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
As I understand it, there's a legal impasse between Robin and the publisher. Perhaps some of the guys have more inside info on the beef.

~Doc

Doc; Eddie has NOT produced his 3 Cushion book since it's first editions in 1979.

His one pocket books, I'm not quite sure of. But, I just spoke to a guy in Maryland last night, and He has 10 copies of each one pocket book! Still in the shipping wrapping.

BTW, Doc, This is the reason why I chose to self-publish all my work! No one to answer to but the printers.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

SMS sells for $160
WOP sells for over $500

i cant answer why there isnt another printing but for now the only ones available are the books that are out there
they are considered THE BEST BOOKS ON ONEPOCKET
the market place determines its value
fyi
the second edition of WOP is more desireable

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
WOJO - my take on it is this: it's a fantastic book on both the strategy and history of the game. Do yourself favor and don't worry about the price. If you're a student of the game, and you appear to be, you will want the books, especially SMS.