Best Books and DVD's

Texdance

i cant answer why there isnt another printing but for now the only ones available are the books that are out there
they are considered THE BEST BOOKS ON ONEPOCKET
the market place determines its value
fyi
the second edition of WOP is more desireable

I don't know if Eddie Robin is still alive or not. Back about 2008 I bought both 1P books from him. He offered and I accepted a valuable extra - private instruction he provided over the phone, after reviewing a video of me performing cue strokes he specified.

He used to sell SMS and WOP 2cd ed. on Ebay for about $170 each back then. He told me his supply was running low, but what exactly low was to him I don't know - 20 or 200?. He spoke about publishing problems, but I'll let him reveal the details if he chooses.

My two books are still like-new-in-the-box with the nice addition of autographs from Wincardona and the late Ronnie Allen. Every time I think of selling I start reading them again and don't sell. But if anyone seriously offers me near $500 for my WOP the book's in the mail...

I am studying the new Mark Wilson book 'Play Great Pool'. I would recommend it for anyone starting to play pool, or for anyone wanting to elevate their game, or for anyone wanting to adopt reliable repeatable stroke and shot making basics and drills, or for anyone like me who has retired and wants to reinvigorate their never-so-great pool game.

Mark makes it clear that playing pool at the pro level takes a 10,000 hour commitment of work - practice, play, competition, and study - but he warns that adopting a non-standard playing style can extend those hours significantly. 'Play Great Pool' has one advantage over all other pool books I've seen - he does not confuse me by saying 'do whatever feels comfortable', he says 'use these specific techniques, drill until they become second nature, and they will help you avoid hundreds or thousands of hours of unnecessary extra work, on your way to the 10,000 hour minimum for top play.'

I recommend Play Great Pool to anyone looking to improve their pool game, even pros, and especially those who teach pool, or who are starting or re-starting their game. If I could have only one pool book Mark Wilson's book would be my choice.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I will eventually own a copy of SMS and WOP, but currently I'm paying down debt while working 2 jobs. When I can afford it then I'll get a copy then.

As far as the pleasure of small motions and previous comments about it, there is something I try to teach and most students just can't get it. But to get away from the result of the shot. I try to teach that we have no control over where the object ball goes, where the cue ball goes and table conditions, but rather we have control over our decisions (shot selection, position play, speed, English), control how we line up, step into the shot, stroke the ball.. Once I was able to detach my mind from the results, the results got much better. I figure if I setup correctly, deliver the best stroke I can, and do not move during or after the stroke - and if I miss then my aim was off and everyone misses. This mindset really helped my stroke and also letting go of mistakes.

I've recently got a few of the suggestions:
Mark Wilsons Book - Play Great Pool
Gabe Owens - One Pocket My Way (both versions)

And I will go back through and reread the books that I already have that people suggested.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Texdance

Straight, if you're looking to round out Eddie's trilogy of books. I have a copy that's NEVER been opened or read, MINT condition! Eddie's very first published work! "Position Play in Three Cushion Billiards." Signed and dated by Eddie. $300.00

View attachment 11144

Lots of ifs... if I had a 3-cushion table, or access to one less than a hundred miles distant, or could sell some of the expensive excess benchrest target shooting equipment gathering dust, or blah blah blah, then I would buy this in a heartbeat, except for one thing:

You are a skilled and knowledgeable 3-c player, yet have not even opened this extremely rare book? Written by the American who won the national 3-C championship (or was it a world championship), twice, against the best in the world, even defeating the legendary Raymond Ceulemans?

Is it your spare copy, or do you value its content not so very much? Your answer could help me avoid a $300 mistake further down the line.

Thanks, and as for me I appreciate 3-cushion info, even if this is a one pocket forum. Though if your name was Mr Champion Eight Ball League Banger I would say hi thee over to AZB. :heh

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
3C'S Book

3C'S Book

.....3C helps your game,might as well get Raymond Cuelemans book too.

One of the best book out on 3C'S,Raymond Cuelemans might go down as the greatest 3C'S player of all times. A great guy also

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Science of Pocket Billiards by Jack Koehler.

I really want to check out the Mark Wilson book...seems like it should be a good one.

Walt Harris put out books for billiards with a lot of kicking systems that work for pool if you put in some time.

Racking secrets by Joe Tucker

If a starting player asked me what to get, I'd tell him get Byrne's books and a couple of good Accu-Stat videos and you're good to go.