if you knew him
how good did he play??
any stories are greatly appreciated....:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I played him once in Hollywood FL.

I had a trip to FLL about 15 years ago so i decieded to go to Hollywood. Im in there 2 min when this ugly guy:sorry with a crooked eye asked me to play. I couldnt screw my stick fast enough:lol OMG he played some shots that I still cant figure out today, what the hell just happened. I played the best 1P of my life and could only slow the bleeding. I was down about 8 games when I quit.

About 6 months after that I was in New Orleans talking to Jamie Farrel when I told him about some ugly guy with a crooked eye in Hollywood beat me good. Jamie said " thats MONSTER JOHN".

I've played many good players and John was very impressive. Im so sorry he's passed. I would like to have played him many more times.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Talking about this guy :D

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
The last time I saw Monster John was at the Executive West at the DCC. He was playing Tony Chohan and Tony was being coached by (or consulting with) Ronnie Weismann. Monster would look at Tony and Ronnie and shake his head and say: "You two dummies are a pitiful sight." Then Monster would pull off some real strong shot. Tony looked a little intimidated by Monster and kept his mouth shut.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I may be wrong, but I think CJ Wiley has posted a few stories about him on AZ.

keoneyo

Verified Member
The last time I saw Monster John was at the Executive West at the DCC. He was playing Tony Chohan and Tony was being coached by (or consulting with) Ronnie Weismann. Monster would look at Tony and Ronnie and shake his head and say: "You two dummies are a pitiful sight." Then Monster would pull off some real strong shot. Tony looked a little intimidated by Monster and kept his mouth shut.

I was there with you demon. John was mumbling under his breath and I looked at him. And he turned to me and said "These fools wont jack up the bet"!
I looked at who he was playing and thought "Who is this masked man?".
He wasnt wearing a mask but he looked like he was.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I played Monster John several times at the Derby, I believe in the years 2009- 2010 he beat me every time we played. John was a very strong player and a pleasure to play with. He banked really good and knew all the right shots, plus he tried harder than anyone when he played. His speed is similar to Rob Melrose (One Pocket Hacker) except he was modest.:heh:D

Dr. Bill

John Brumback

Verified Member
He played Tony Fargo a set of full rack in Lex.ky back a few years ago,for 5k.Tony won. I offered him 9 to 8 a few years ago at the dcc but we never could get matched up.We came close to fliipin the coin tho:) Hellava strong player he was player. JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm guessing that Monster John was not originally from Florida if he was that strong of a banker to play with Fargo or JB. Anyone know from whence he came?

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm guessing that Monster John was not originally from Florida if he was that strong of a banker to play with Fargo or JB. Anyone know from whence he came?

~Doc

I think he was from Jacksonville Doc. We were at Hollywood Billiards together for 15 years. He was a real good player

onepockethacker

Verified Member
welcome back to the site robert
any stories about john you would like to share??
and
congrats on your recent wins....:)
larry

Thanks. One story I love is when one of the players trying to learn the game down here played Monster even for $ 5 a game. I gave the guy 12 4 and 13 5 to give you an idea of how he played. The guy played Monster even at $ 5 a game and lost $ 500!! LOL 24 hours and 100 games. Guess he got his moneys worth

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Hey, Rob. Good to see you back. I watched your victory up until midnight and I saw you had control so I went to bed. Congrats.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Hey, Rob. Good to see you back. I watched your victory up until midnight and I saw you had control so I went to bed. Congrats.

Thanks Petie, It was a long day. 14 hours. I was getting as weak as skim milk at the end.