Is This The New Forum Software?

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I don’t believe 2 days is long enough.

I’m trying to add info at the beginning of a thread for a week long tournament (DCC) but can’t now.
An example of this is a basenote (first post in a thread) that is modified frequently to include info from later posts, such as entries to a contest. Another would be if a poster wants to correct an obvious error in a post.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
the old forum you could go back and delete any past post. that gave you the leeway to get rid of or change something you regret putting up. now you are stuck for life with any thing you say.
i posted about irish and everyone blew by it and now i want to erase it and cant.

I didn't blow by it.. I just didn't respond on that right away.. It was good. I wouldn't erase it.. In fact I had a question for you.. You mentioned Mike Euphemia.. In this pic is that Mike, the shorter fellow to the right of Crane, by the corner pocket, looking at the gent who is pointing at somebody and smiling, and is that guy pointing Fitzpatrick, the one pocket great?? I'll bet Marshall Carpenter would know more about Irish. I just thought of him...

2020-02-02 23_53_15-PoolTableGroup _ Can you spot Wimpy Lassiter_ Willie Mosconi… _ Flickr - A...png

Jimmy B

Verified Member
old pic but i dont think so. he wasnt fat and had a pointed face more like erviino. receding hairline
he would be about 100 years old i bet if still alive. he looked a little more like the guy behind him but wasnt him either.
i wont be making any more posts about the past or people anymore.

Ok, but I still thought it was a good post. Anyway I noticed that Rod had posted Jersey Red's thoughts about Irish being the best, so I dug out a copy of 'Hustler Days' , the book that concentrated on Red and Lassiter and lots on Johnston City.. The book has a good index and Irish was in there, but it just told an anecdote about Irish coming to the first JC Jamboree which, by the way, only had one pocket that first year. So that proves he was focused on One Pocket. Right? However the only thing in there was Irish telling the anecdote about how Fats could go to a tiny little town anywhere and even if nobody was playing two dollar pool, Fats would soon have the pool room full and he would have the butcher and banker and folks that don't even play pool in there betting a hundred a game. And then Irish died in 1965 and that was that.

If I had my way I would put in Alex this time and focus on him, but also take Marcel, Irish, and Vevis and Ervolino as like a field group in a calcutta and put them all in to catch up on the times gone past, and I wouldn't worry about people talking them up or telling war stories about them or hunting down their relatives or anybody.. You know fkk all that. Just put them in and it would enhance the hof and distinguish it.. Not dilute it in any way...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The guy pointing is Fitzpatrick for sure. Mike Eufemia died in the late 70's I believe.

Yes, I would like the editing of one's own posts to go longer, I think Cincy has worked on this and it appeared to be limited to a degree within the software. Like some of you have mentioned, that happens a lot when the opening post for example is a sign up list, that needs to be adjusted.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The guy pointing is Fitzpatrick for sure. Mike Eufemia died in the late 70's I believe.

Yes, I would like the editing of one's own posts to go longer, I think Cincy has worked on this and it appeared to be limited to a degree within the software. Like some of you have mentioned, that happens a lot when the opening post for example is a sign up list, that needs to be adjusted.
Cincy has done a massive amount of work, and I much appreciate him, but for the way I use the forum the old way was better than either of the recent versions. No complaint, just an opinion in case you were just now wondering if I'd mind you asking. :D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Changed this back to unlimited per Steve's request, now you can edit/delete your posts indefinitely! :)

beatle

Verified Member
he still shot well into the 1960's. didnt see him after that

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am impressed with how the images display! With the old software you really could not read a scanned page of text, but with this is seems like you can! Take this post with a whole article about Johnny Irish Lineen. And with the image viewer that came up when I clicked on the second page, you just hit the right arrow to go to the next page!! Very nice :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok!

@vapros and anyone else interested:

I am pretty confident we have it set up now so that only the thread starter can reply to their own threads in the Journals section! 🎉🎉

Basically bought an add-on that would allow different permission sets based on the forum.

Thing is, I had to set it up for each user group, so I have it set for

Verified Member
Registered Users
Non-Registered Users
Suspended Users

I think that covers most or all of them but please let me know if anyone is able to reply to someone else's thread in Journals so I can go back and look at the settings, thank you!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ok!

@vapros and anyone else interested:

I am pretty confident we have it set up now so that only the thread starter can reply to their own threads in the Journals section! 🎉🎉

Basically bought an add-on that would allow different permission sets based on the forum.

Thing is, I had to set it up for each user group, so I have it set for

Verified Member
Registered Users
Non-Registered Users
Suspended Users

I think that covers most or all of them but please let me know if anyone is able to reply to someone else's thread in Journals so I can go back and look at the settings, thank you!
Thank you -- again !!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yep, you guys are the greatest - patient, capable, understanding, hardworking - brave, clean and reverent. Spacebo, as we say in Siberia. :cool:

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
I am not on here as much as I used to be. In this new format did you do away with private messages? Because I had some from Freddy b, SJD, and some others that I really treasured. Are they lost, or am I? Is the pm function still here?

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am not on here as much as I used to be. In this new format did you do away with private messages? Because I had some from Freddy b, SJD, and some others that I really treasured. Are they lost, or am I? Is the pm function still here?
They should still be there. If you look up at the top of the screen, just to the right of your User Name, there is a little envelope icon. Click on that and it brings you to your private messages, which the new software calls "conversations". They should all be there, including old ones. The bell icon is for forum notifications such as replies to a thread you started, or to a thread you are following, or I think if someone quotes youur post, which I just did -- so you should see a red number highlight for forum notifications now. I'll try a PM to you also.