Filler/ Chohan May 12-13th

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
What on earth does that mean? You mean he started playing 2.5 years ago, right?

I don't have an ankle bracelet on the guy of course, but I would hazard a guess he has not spent every day of thise 2.5 years playing one pocket.

Anyway, on this "players emphasize knowledge" (when in actuality firepower is all that matters) topic that I brought up, you are probably the poster boy for the movement.

Your right about the firepower however these pros remember everything about pool. With 2.5 years, coaching, 1P books, Derby, 14.1 knowledge, Fuller is way above anyone else at this stage in his career. He’s already in the top ten especially with his firepower. I’d like to see him play SVB, similar in firepower, with Shane at least considering a slower pace.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I reviewed Filler matches with Mora, Immonen, and Frost, and with the exception of the Immonen match, (both players played horrific), he played very good, and is and will be a force in OP. Mora is playing very well and probably should of won, but not getting out when he should of cost him. It is good to see Frost playing well, for Filler had him under the gun, but Frost used his defensive skills to stay around, and win the match.
He stayed in the trenches and grinded with Frost toe to toe, very enjoyable match. JJ commenting was excellent.

What we witness with Filler vs. Chochan, is this a first? I mean a European coming here and playing an American a one pocket challenge match. Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
Your right about the firepower however these pros remember everything about pool. With 2.5 years, coaching, 1P books, Derby, 14.1 knowledge, Fuller is way above anyone else at this stage in his career. He’s already in the top ten especially with his firepower. I’d like to see him play SVB, similar in firepower, with Shane at least considering a slower pace.
I have to wonder if Filler has played much 3cushion?
Filler's awesome firepower,experiance on that table , and currently being in action , is why I posted Filler will drill him.

beatle

Verified Member
seeing some of the 3 cushion kicks he attempted, he only eyeballed those shots.

unoperro

Verified Member
seeing some of the 3 cushion kicks he attempted, he only eyeballed those shots.
He only :eyeballed" those long rail banks he fired in😜
I know Germany is more into rotation and straightpool dont know if they play on those tables where leather wasnt available.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Filler always seemed to have a real good handle on where the cue ball was headed. I don't remember very many shots where his cue ball failed him, even on some of those specialty strokes, like a bit of masse or a the unusual draw strokes he unleashed now and then. At the end of the shot, you looked at where the cue ball landed and had to nod, yup, that is right about where he was trying to land!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Filler always seemed to have a real good handle on where the cue ball was headed. I don't remember very many shots where his cue ball failed him, even on some of those specialty strokes, like a bit of masse or a the unusual draw strokes he unleashed now and then. At the end of the shot, you looked at where the cue ball landed and had to nod, yup, that is right about where he was trying to land!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

beatle

Verified Member
Filler always seemed to have a real good handle on where the cue ball was headed. I don't remember very many shots where his cue ball failed him, even on some of those specialty strokes, like a bit of masse or a the unusual draw strokes he unleashed now and then. At the end of the shot, you looked at where the cue ball landed and had to nod, yup, that is right about where he was trying to land

yep

beatle

Verified Member

fantastic cueball control

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It's a bit contagious too :) I noticed a little internet blip when I first tried to post, so naturally I hit post again.... and apparently again lol.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I just think if a guy pockets one or two balls from the end rail during a race to five, it is worth about three times as much as a 40 year edge in one pocket knowledge.

On the knowledge subject, and this applies to everything of course, people are always saying "you never stop learning". But the truth is, if you have been playing a while you aint really learning any more in a meaningful way. You pick up shots now and again that you may use once in 1000 games, but one hole knowledge aint really a cumulative deal. It is more like you learn, and you are done. Of course it is not quite that simple but i think the priciple point is true.... ie 30 year one hole player dont have no huge advantage on a 5 year one hole player, all other things being equal.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Knowledge still means a lot, but only if the knowledgeable player is going to take you into deep waters to put you in positions you may not have thought about. If the old pro is going to try to out shoot the young pro, he is playing right into the novice shooter's wheelhouse. The old pro has to embrace the grind to "find out what Filler doesn't know", as Jeremy Jones often says. That usually means slowing the game down and making every ball count. No thoroughbred ever liked a sloppy track.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Lots of good thoughts and commentary here on the recent match at Roy's. The one-pocket swamp is chock-a-block with shooters today. There is no doubt that Josh Filler is one of the very best, but how much of an edge could he have over Eklent Kaci, Jason Shaw, Skylar Woodward or Ruslan Chinakov? Maybe it's just that he is the only one who really wants to concentrate on the one-hole game, so far. As noted, the required knowledge is available, as are the videos of top players that one can study. The idea that intelligence might be the key has been suggested. In my opinion, it ranks behind imagination, although they often are found together. I believe it is what the late Ronnie Allen brought to the game, and also my own hero, Efren Reyes, whose videos I still view over and over. IQ levels may be a mystery, but creativity is obvious in the best one-pocket players, and will determine who sets the bar in the near future. That's what I think, anyway.