5 rack game?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/inFPSoXY42rzrm6cA I would not recommend this shot, for by going back into the rack for an additional break you get tied up on the balls. But I did hit it exactly like I intended, so it is a good representation of this break.

but instead, I would recommend this break,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yK4gSi3NgnwtQXC67 This break I hit it exactly like I have envisioned it. A solid hit on the 15 ball using slightly below center with some rhe. You have to miss the kiss coming off of the corner ball which does not seem to happen if you do not let the cb drop to low towards the foot rail. But I want to clear the stack by coming up above it to get a clear shot towards my hole. One main goal is to get the rack to open up.

I felt I hit this so good, I wanted to share it!
I am breaking with the cb just behind the line and 3 ball widths to the left of the head spot.

Cincy Kid, you are approaching a 1000 views. Wow, it has not been up for long. The videos that were put up, plus examples of breaks, and of course it is a OP game, has just jumped your thread way up in views. There is a lot of interest. thanks guys, viewers, and Cincy Kid! Whitey

PS. if you use the pause button you then can track the progression of the rack opening up. I rack the balls in the same order each time so I can track them.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MVx8Li4MwEhFqo7g7 I thought I'd join in on the fun of videoing a rack of 5 rack OP.
I can not believe I got that much reverse to get that straight on the 6. Well, exact positioning combined with shot making makes this one challenging tough game.
Well I got an 11, 4 more racks of that is 55! LOL!!!! I know it does not work that way. This rack was kind of a scramble from the get go, for the break was off. enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
great shooting. I remembered my break I used to use will post it tomorrow is similar to that break but just draw straight back and get a shot on the head ball

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Nice shooting, Whitey. And congrats on your 55 LOL. Not an easy starting position and tough rack with thin cuts and shooting over balls.

I've been struggling lately and have begun to "steer" the balls, not stroking them. Hard to get out of it, but you've inspired me yet again. Thanks.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I am reading a new book about St Louie Louie
Louie roberts by mark obrien......Have pool cue will travel
there is a chapter in it where Louie tells the author about a proposition game
asking someone how many balls they think they could score in 5 racks shooting at one pocket
the gist was you had to be really good to get past 22
he would let lesser players name how many they wanted to go to assuming most players think they are better than they think
of course he would have to agrre
louie said the only guy who could beat 22 every time was from Nazareth.......Jesus ( louies humor )
it also said this was before Gabe Owen developed a great break and for this proposition
anyone know how Gabe broke the balls?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am reading a new book about St Louie Louie
Louie roberts by mark obrien......Have pool cue will travel
there is a chapter in it where Louie tells the author about a proposition game
asking someone how many balls they think they could score in 5 racks shooting at one pocket
the gist was you had to be really good to get past 22
he would let lesser players name how many they wanted to go to assuming most players think they are better than they think
of course he would have to agrre
louie said the only guy who could beat 22 every time was from Nazareth.......Jesus ( louies humor )
it also said this was before Gabe Owen developed a great break and for this proposition
anyone know how Gabe broke the balls?
What a great find. It also confirms my thoughts on the # of balls in 5 racks as posted #14. I only know of Gabe getting BIH.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nice shooting, Whitey. And congrats on your 55 LOL. Not an easy starting position and tough rack with thin cuts and shooting over balls.

I've been struggling lately and have begun to "steer" the balls, not stroking them. Hard to get out of it, but you've inspired me yet again. Thanks.
Thanks, I have been in a funk for months, but this game has at least got me hitting a few balls. If a guy drops the expectations, and not set their sights to high, it then will come. Example, you trying to run 15, it would come easier, I'd say much easier if you were just playing with no expectation.

This game is all about the break, it has to be hit consistently. It all starts with the break. I believe a guy should mix up the break to keep the game from being monotonous, and of course switch pockets.

I believe if a guy wants to get the most out of this game, it then comes down to each shot and that is all that is important, not how many balls are run. So if you approach it as a practice then this is what I would suggest:
On each shot; get the shape you want, if not reset up the shot and shoot it until you get that shape within 1"- 2" max. then go to the next shot. This is independent upon whether the ball is made or not. If you miss, set it up again and continue, work through every rack! Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Guys, I ran across this video of Alex playing the one pocket ghost at DCC, no ball in hand. Only a couple games but you can see the break he uses.

https://www.reddit.com/r/billiards/comments/144k3m
Thanks for the link
very enjoyable john 👍
I was surprised to see a cut break like he did
I thought you hit the second ball and draw to the side rail and come to the middle of the table

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks, I have been in a funk for months, but this game has at least got me hitting a few balls. If a guy drops the expectations, and not set their sights to high, it then will come. Example, you trying to run 15, it would come easier, I'd say much easier if you were just playing with no expectation.

This game is all about the break, it has to be hit consistently. It all starts with the break. I believe a guy should mix up the break to keep the game from being monotonous, and of course switch pockets.

I believe if a guy wants to get the most out of this game, it then comes down to each shot and that is all that is important, not how many balls are run. So if you approach it as a practice then this is what I would suggest:
On each shot; get the shape you want, if not reset up the shot and shoot it until you get that shape within 1"- 2" max. then go to the next shot. This is independent upon whether the ball is made or not. If you miss, set it up again and continue, work through every rack! Whitey
Wise words.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Lol for some reason I was thinking 60 was all 15 balls every rack but that's only 4 racks so 60 is 10 per rack, still strong as an ox but it's possible to beat!