5 rack game?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
He used it up in Maine in 2000 -- which was kind of his tournament coming out for One Pocket. I think he knew better by then anyway, but didn't really want people to know that he knew better at that point ;)
He's a tricky one, he is. LOL

Speaking of tricky ones, I saw John Schmidt today as he was passing by on his way to Denver for some pool clinics. My wife and I got a couple of 626 t-shirts so I thought I would try 5-rack wearing mine to see if it would bring me luck; hoping for a high run. NOT!

Here's the run of 20-22 as I lost count, sorry. It was not pretty...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave, a 22 and you left balls, good ball count, and obviously 3 of the racks could have gone better, but that is part of it, putting 5 racks together.
Your break is so consistent. It is very similar to what I used 50 yrs. ago, whereas you hit it softly and let the cb slide over ever so much at the top of the rack on to your scoring pocket side.
I believe I can speak for others also, I like viewing your videos better than watching the pros. Great shooting once again! thanks, Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I have been breaking a little different lately similar but breaking from the same side as my pocket I am finding it fans the balls towards my pocket better. still only about half a diamond form the center. will post today or tomorrow and you can judge for yourself

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave, a 22 and you left balls, good ball count, and obviously 3 of the racks could have gone better, but that is part of it, putting 5 racks together.
Your break is so consistent. It is very similar to what I used 50 yrs. ago, whereas you hit it softly and let the cb slide over ever so much at the top of the rack on to your scoring pocket side.
I believe I can speak for others also, I like viewing your videos better than watching the pros. Great shooting once again! thanks, Whitey
Thanks Whitey. I was hoping for better wearing that t-shirt though LOL

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I have been breaking a little different lately similar but breaking from the same side as my pocket I am finding it fans the balls towards my pocket better. still only about half a diamond form the center. will post today or tomorrow and you can judge for yourself
I look forward to see your new break. I haven't really settled on one I love yet

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
One thing for certain , Ball in hand anywhere is a huge advantage and ups everyones scores by quite a bit in most cases. Ball in hand behind the line is not as strong and won't make a huge difference with A players and below, with pros ,it can make a huge difference.
One reason I like using the rules that were used for a few years at DCC (which onepocket.org supported back then), is it validates Gabe Owen's high score of 60, which was witnessed (but not recorded). That gives players a record to shoot for, which is good for the game in my opinion.

I think for a while Corey Deuel was using the "8-ball break", where you place the cue ball just a few inches off the side rail -- surprisingly on the same side as the pocket you are pre-selecting -- so break from the right when your pocket is to the right -- then load up with about 5 o-clock english, and hit to spit the head ball and second ball. The cue ball is drawn back to the right side rail but then rebounds across the table to end up by the left side pocket or so. The object balls explode, but many seem to migrate across the table and then rebound back to the right side. If you let up on your low/side english you can scratch or get stuck along the bottom of the table, but if you get a good english snap, you stay up higher with the cue ball -- and sometimes scratch in the opposite side pocket.

I think Corey's 8-ball break was not highly favored back then in competition because it was too hard to control. That desire for control is why, as I remember it, most players used a little bit firmer break similar to a firm standard break (and maybe coming into the stack a little lower down the side of the rack), while trying to leave the cue ball around the center of the table.
I'm not sure why Gabes 60 wouldn;t still stand? 99 % of the people in the pool room have no idea whether Gabe scored a 60 or a 30 or what rules they used. Obviously , people have different motives for different rules, I truly don't care one way or the other how someone wants to play it , but I know if I was gambling , if they get ball in hand ,, the number is going way up, which will automatically kill most action at the game. Which I also don't really care, one way or the other, I'm just stating my opinion. Based on playing both sides of the game. I think we would all agree Jay is a decent player, he was honest and said he couldn't make 15 regularly without ball in hand, which is pretty normal with a poor break.
The first trick is to figure out a great break , otherwise you will shoot 30 then a bunch of 10 to 15s. Once you have a break, you have to know when to settle for getting x "sure"balls or trying for more and possibly getting none. The game has so many possibilities to hustle, gamble have fun with, or just improve your game, that it is a shame we can't figure out something everyone can be ok with. It seems the big contention is ball in hand behind the line after a scratch on the break., Simple enough , have East Coast rules and West Coast rules, East is ball in hand West is end of rack. Can that work? You can play either rules, no matter where you are at , you just say EC or WC and everybody knows whats up?

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
the break is all about getting the 4 balls on your side t ofan out and to draw the cue ball straight back . if I lost the cue to the left I would usually struggle to get an easy shot

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Dave and Catkins for keeping the videos coming, they are great. Catkins you hit the break well, few shots got away from you, and if it was not for that you would had a really high score. Nice shooting!

Here is a break I just decided to do off the top of head, for I wanted to see what would happen if I hit it harder with inside reverse english. I played it @ about 3rd diamond plus a ball width. This created a different angle going into the rack.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFCXqzS3AjZDKRWD9 Click on video to enlarge. The idea for this break comes from the creative mind of Cincy Kid!
The break turned out so good I did not want to ruin it by screwing up a run. So I decided just to highlight the break only! I split the 2nd & 3rd ball on the break.
enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Dave and Catkins for keeping the videos coming, they are great. Catkins you hit the break well, few shots got away from you, and if it was not for that you would had a really high score. Nice shooting!

Here is a break I just decided to do off the top of head, for I wanted to see what would happen if I hit it harder with inside reverse english. I played it @ about 3rd diamond plus a ball width. This created a different angle going into the rack.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFCXqzS3AjZDKRWD9 Click on video to enlarge.
The break turned out so good I did not want to ruin it by screwing up a run. So I decided just to highlight the break only! I split the 2nd & 3rd ball on the break.
enjoy, Whitey
great break Whitey, that's the one I mentioned earlier for unorthodoxed style breaks, good spread there!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
great break Whitey, that's the one I mentioned earlier for unorthodoxed style breaks, good spread there!
Yes, I know you are the one that wanted to see how this break works, I'll add the acknowledgement in there, I just forgot! I am going to work through this break some more to see if I can come up with something that works really well. Changing an angle here or there could add a lot of effect upon the balls and the cue ball. thanks, Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, I know you are the one that wanted to see how this break works, I'll add the acknowledgement in there, I just forgot! I am going to work through this break some more to see if I can come up with something that works really well. Changing an angle here or there could add a lot of effect upon the balls and the cue ball. thanks, Whitey
Oh I am not looking for acknowledgement but I see you added it in there, ty ;)

I just wanted to remind you that I was curious on how those kick breaks would turn out! Thanks for the videos as always!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dkoBhs1MR8bRYduU6 Click to enlarge
Dave,
This break reminds me of your break w/bih anywhere after the break when you were going after the 15 ball run.
I am shooting on an angle directly centered out of the corner pocket just past the side pocket about a ball width w/ just slightly above center cb. I want to hit between the 2nd & 3rd ball.
In re-viewing this I believe I should of taken the 8 instead of the 15.

As if you did not have enough breaks to work on, but maybe this one will work for you. I've enjoyed working it! Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dkoBhs1MR8bRYduU6 Click to enlarge
Dave,
This break reminds me of your break w/bih anywhere after the break when you were going after the 15 ball run.
I am shooting on an angle directly centered out of the corner pocket just past the side pocket about a ball width w/ just slightly above center cb. I want to hit between the 2nd & 3rd ball.

As if you did not have enough breaks to work on, but maybe this one will work for you. I've enjoyed working it! Whitey
Love it and the last kick break, too. Thanks Whitey. You're very creative and a great shooter.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Whitey, I did not have much consistent success with either of these kick breaks you posted, some were great. I wish I could spread 'em like you did. I got locked up in the pack like half the time.

But, here is a full 5 racks using the spin kick break you first posted. After the 1st 2 racks I thought something big was going to happen after a couple of Tony Chohan shots, but...

I do love that you have to find something to shoot at no matter how goofy. 😂🤣🤯

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave,
you killed it the first two racks, wow! to bad the other breaks did not cooperate. Nice kiss shot to keep the rack alive.
Wow, I am really going to have to work on my game to keep up, nice shooting, I really enjoyed it.
I'll get my other camera going so I can post up a 5 rack video.
it is hard to put 5 clean racks together, but who wants it to be easy, anyway.

Try breaking on an angle between the corner pocket and first diamond, no spin but slightly above center, hitting in between the 2nd and 3rd ball. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Try breaking on an angle between the corner pocket and first diamond, no spin but slightly above center, hitting in between the 2nd and 3rd ball. thanks, Whitey
Thanks Whitey. But I was trying that break, I scratched a few times and got stuck in the pack many times and some the ball bounced off the short rail back to the middle of the pack with no shot. I can't seem to control where I hit the side of the pack. Oh well.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Now I definitely have to try the kick break. I will do a video of the other break I was trying though it was not as consistent as I wanted