you both need one

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this is just for ideas
there is no shot to show what the player did
i have been playing trying to kick that ball at my hole but would never do that in a serious game as for me it sells out too often
what would you do here??
you both need one.png

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd hit the r/s of the stripe with a 4 o'clock draw, banking it 4 rails landing on the head rail. The position of the balls as they lay, I'd try and duplicate the same layout as they are in now.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'd two rail bank it off the point to my hole, using below center right sending the cb kitty corner to the head rail corner pocket. If you hit it thick then it is ok for the ob and cb both end up on your side on the long rails.
I'll put up a video of this shot if I can find it! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TGdKYWVma29faFItSnlFbUxVd19jcDZ1VHJ1OVVB

Larry, I found the video, and yes this is similar scenario. If you play the shot thicker into the ob then it assures that the ob does rattle in the opponent's pocket and still you can get the ob to your long rail around the 2nd diamond or so w/ cb going to upper kitty corner.
Most likely you will have to adjust what is put on the cb for the angle is different, probably slightly more high with quite a bit of right spin. Whitey

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would also kick it but not to make it. I would shoot straight across with some lhe so that the cb hits the long rail then spins into the stripe full...banking it off the foot rail ending up in my quadrant between 1st and 2nd diamond..cb stays near foot rail.
Bingo!! Chris, that's the correct response to this type of a leave. I have shot this shot playing one pocket 100's of times with great results, a shot that must be incorporated into one's arsenal of shots.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TGdKYWVma29faFItSnlFbUxVd19jcDZ1VHJ1OVVB

Larry, I found the video, and yes this is similar scenario. If you play the shot thicker into the ob then it assures that the ob does rattle in the opponent's pocket and still you can get the ob to your long rail around the 2nd diamond or so w/ cb going to upper kitty corner.
Most likely you will have to adjust what is put on the cb for the angle is different, probably slightly more high with quite a bit of right spin. Whitey
That's an excellent shot Whitey, a little risky but in certain situations, it would be the best choice.

Dr. Bill

unoperro

Verified Member
I thought the standard reply is kick off short rail for a 1/2 ball hit with bottom right.
Cueball winds back around to center of foot rail.
Object ball goes to top corner on your side.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Bingo!! Chris, that's the correct response to this type of a leave. I have shot this shot playing one pocket 100's of times with great results, a shot that must be incorporated into one's arsenal of shots.

Dr. Bill
Thanks good doctor! :)

Anytime my shot choice(s) end up in line with yours, I know I am on the right track to becoming a better one pocket player! I appreciate all the knowledge you and others share on this site, its invaluable!

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
So something like this. There is the chance of a two-railer leave, but for this particular result the side pocket looms large.
CropperCapture[96].jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I thought the standard reply is kick off short rail for a 1/2 ball hit with bottom right.
Cueball winds back around to center of foot rail.
Object ball goes to top corner on your side.
Bob
can you diagram this
i am at work and cant
look forward to testing this at home later

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
It is also barely possible for my interpretation of the position and the particular table/cloth I've chosen in Virtual Pool to kick the OB into my pocket. It takes max left with some draw and swerve and you have to pass within a fraction of the OB on the way to the side rail. A small error in judgement can be a disaster.

This pattern is also available but you will likely get a kiss if you hit the OB too thick which sends it directly into the return path of the CB.

CropperCapture[97].jpg

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Bob
can you diagram this
i am at work and cant
look forward to testing this at home later
The path with the kick is roughly the same as for the direct around the table I just posted but I would feel that I have little control of the kiss after the cue ball leaves the head cushion. .... well, that didn't take long to find. Lots of kisses available, including this one:

CropperCapture[98].jpg

If you know what you're doing, it can also go well, just like the direct hit:

CropperCapture[99].jpg

The idea in both cases is to hit the OB thin enough that it goes end-side-end and not end-side-side.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AD65Wu9TCCpEk2TK9 So what is the ideal reposition for the ob?
I suppose a guy could 1 rail bank or 3 rail bank off of what I left, but very difficult to pull off, and selling out is very possible.
So what is the best return shot reply off of what I left?

Oh thanks Dr. Bill for acknowledging my previous video! I have worked it in this layout and found out that the shot seems to be much harder to pull off. Whitey

PS. Larry, I worked this quite a bit, and every shot selection is quite demanding and can quite possibly leave a shot. So possibly the best shot is to gently spin off the long rail into your ob and just make contact. This will now put you in a more advantages position by being on the correct side of the ob. It is now his move.
Correct me guys if this strategy is a mistake!

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The path with the kick is roughly the same as for the direct around the table I just posted but I would feel that I have little control of the kiss after the cue ball leaves the head cushion. .... well, that didn't take long to find. Lots of kisses available, including this one:

View attachment 432505

View attachment 432506

The idea in both cases is to hit the OB thin enough that it goes end-side-end and not end-side-side.
Thanks bob for the diagrams and advice on how to hit it

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
It is also barely possible for my interpretation of the position and the particular table/cloth I've chosen in Virtual Pool to kick the OB into my pocket. It takes max left with some draw and swerve and you have to pass within a fraction of the OB on the way to the side rail. A small error in judgement can be a disaster.

This pattern is also available but you will likely get a kiss if you hit the OB too thick which sends it directly into the return path of the CB.

View attachment 432504

View attachment 432505

View attachment 432506

If the object ball is a half diamond or less from the pocket, I kick it out, if it is more I 2 rail it and 3 rail the cueball , I don't see a need to add an extra element by going to the bottom rail first. A less likelihood of a kiss , but it makes the shot too much more difficult, imo especially for weekenders

BRLongArm

Verified Member
bottom right, draw your cue to the second diamond and let it go three rails back to the bottom rail. The object ball chases the cue at much slower speed two rails to the top pocket and you are safe. It's the same shot you use when you are on the top rail and you are trying to two rail the ball to your pocket.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
bottom right, draw your cue to the second diamond and let it go three rails back to the bottom rail. The object ball chases the cue at much slower speed two rails to the top pocket and you are safe. It's the same shot you use when you are on the top rail and you are trying to two rail the ball to your pocket.
I think the benefit of kicking the ball is that sometimes when you 2 rail it , you can leave a return kick bank off your long rail, if you get the object ball close to the pocket, Cliff was a monster on those shots

Kybanks

Verified Member
I believe I would two rail the stripe to my side and use inside english to let the cb travel 2 rails back to his long rail. If the pockets are tight or gaffed, you can cut the stripe to the outer part of the shim in his pocket and it should rattle out and go in your hole. Center english cb. Have fun with that one.