9/6 vs 11/7

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Gentlemen, I need some advice. I’ve never matched up with a real good one pocket player before. I was originally offered 10/7 and I countered with 10/6. He countered with 11/7 for $$$$ and I feel like I might have a halfway decent chance at that but not sure. My question is would you guys rather ask for 9/6 if you had one final counter offer or just accept the 11/7? (Or just say “playing top players is overrated!”)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
9-6 is better for you
you have to ask your self how often do you think you can/will get to 7
what do you think is your average high run in 1p
if its less than 7 it means you cant win with an open table
what is your average run with a decent first shot ?
thats the number you really want to go to
but you wont get it
can your opponent run 10/11 with an open table?
if he is really better the extra ball for him is not that big a deal
jmho
icbw
i dont match up very often

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
9 6 because you need to get out when you can. The extra ball from 10-7 to 11-7 for him if he is a top 50 player will make little to no difference. The extra ball going from 7 down to 6 for you assuming you are around a fargo 600 will make a much bigger difference.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Thanks guys. I'll probably make a final counter to him that he can choose either 9/6 or 12/7. And to ChicagoFats, yes he is a top 50 player.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd stall for awhile and not respond....let him respond ''last''.

Why? Because ''he'' started the conversation and his eagerness to play you, may pay off with a better spot.

Like Evelyn Wanderone said to me in my interview, Fats spent more time making the game, than playing the game, unless it was Hubert Cokes.

If yah don't like the feel of the game ''going in'' then lower the bet to see how matters play out.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Gentlemen, I need some advice. I’ve never matched up with a real good one pocket player before. I was originally offered 10/7 and I countered with 10/6. He countered with 11/7 for $$$$ and I feel like I might have a halfway decent chance at that but not sure. My question is would you guys rather ask for 9/6 if you had one final counter offer or just accept the 11/7? (Or just say “playing top players is overrated!”)
I have been trying to think of when the guy doing the spotting lost, the last time in my experience, I think it was 6 years ago. 🤪

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
depending on your skill vs the top p[layer, it's real hard to get past 5 with those real good players. You def don't want to go to 7...jmo

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Some time ago, maybe on this site, I read a comment from an old gambling man. He said 'if I've won a million dollars betting on pool, I've won eight-hundred thousand of it betting on the player giving up the weight'. Just something to know -

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Lol @ Beatle, I'm almost surprised it took that long to get a comment in that regard.

@vapros, you make a very valid point and I have come to the same understanding. This player might just have me under clocked a bit, so I really feel like I have a decent chance in my 20+ years of observing action matches.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The great Allen Hopkins once mentioned to me that in his experience playing weaker players 9/6 vs 11/7 is a flip of the coin. However, Rodney who I have the utmost respect for says 9/6 is much better for the weaker player. I'm assuming he also has experience with both spots. I would have to side with Rodney.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There is the math, then there is the reality. The math may favor 11-7, but the reality is that getting that extra ball while holding off a strong player is a real hurdle. If you are playing mainly for the challenge, I would go 11-7, but trying to grab some quick cash, go 9-6.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Around the midwest the magic number has always been 7. A strong player never wants to let you go lower than 7. They will always try to adjust higher on their number instead of going lower than 7 on yours.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Thanks guys. I'll probably make a final counter to him that he can choose either 9/6 or 12/7. And to ChicagoFats, yes he is a top 50 player.
Using just the math and ignoring whatever extra advantage the stronger player has in a longer game, here are the equivalent FargoRate rating differences for the spots you've mentioned:
10-7 -- 54
9-6 -- 61
11-7 -- 68
10-6 -- 77
12-7 -- 81
The FargoRate-based calculation does have a small built-in advantage for the weaker player for the shorter games but not as much as making 9-6 a bigger spot than 11-7.

Have you ever played someone who has played this top player?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Using just the math and ignoring whatever extra advantage the stronger player has in a longer game, here are the equivalent FargoRate rating differences for the spots you've mentioned:
10-7 -- 54
9-6 -- 61
11-7 -- 68
10-6 -- 77
12-7 -- 81
The FargoRate-based calculation does have a small built-in advantage for the weaker player for the shorter games but not as much as making 9-6 a bigger spot than 11-7.

Have you ever played someone who has played this top player?
If you've gambled at any of these games, you'd know 11/7 is stronger than 9/6 for the better player as is 12/7 over 10/6 stronger for the better player.
I've played these games a lot as I was always in action when possible. A lot of very good players have played me 10/6 I never considered 12/7 unless I was giving the spot .
P.S. I love math, but not here.