Chicago Artie/Bensingers/Speed Ck

beatle

Verified Member
no the other way. you cant get short enough with the english reversing off the rail as the cue ball will want to go straight up.

play it off the right side of the red.

if you go to the left side drop it in 3 rails from behind and you get to play safe if you miss the ball coming up from the rail.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost
is your cue an eddie laubie??
could you talk alittle about him and his cues
i understand they were expensive for the time

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ghost
is your cue an eddie laubie??
could you talk alittle about him and his cues
i understand they were expensive for the time

Yes Larry, that is a Laube cue that I'm playing with...did you remember me mentioning my Laube cue before?...cuz otherwise I would be very surprised that you could recognize from that pic that it was a Laube cue.

also did you play the shot to come off the right of ball 2 and right at the score ball?

Don't remember my shot from 50 yrs. ago, lol...but yes, most likely I played the natural off the right side of the red ball.

champagne

Verified Member
so ghost
could artie suffocate the sharpshooters of today and win??
I went in with him alot at north shore and a few trips to detroit ,Wisconsin. Why did Billy get banned..artie could really squeeze and get out when he was supposed to...be didn't miss much..but didn't take that flyer very often...about NONE.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Champagne, why did Billy mr3c get banned. IMO he had 3 strikes.
1. He had a pissing match with Bill Stroud (rip) over Stroud's win/loss record, it turned voguer, and Steve shut down the thread.
2. Steve had threaded a new game '6 Pockets' w/ his rules for playing. Mr3c stated that it had been played for years previously in Chicago.
3. mr3c threaded a beautiful 1906 Brunswick Pocket Billiard Table for sale $6,000, and stated it was beautifully restored, mr3c was making a commission off the top. The table is top of the line worth 10 -15 g's and appeared drop dead gorgeous in the pictures. A table like this just does not come around often. Pilot was interested but wanted more pictures, he then backed out before more pictures arrived. Also youngstownkid was interested. Mr3c then backed out, and stated he was out of it on the table.

Youngstownkid then made a deal directly with the seller, who is a realtor that inadvertently inherited this table during an estate sale, in Chicago. A deal was for $3,500, so youngstownkid traveled to Chicago, and then realized it was not restored, for it
had patina/damage and the slate had damage. No deal, and out a grand.

In the interim the Facebook site was developed and it got voguer over the table episode, and those comments had to be deleted. Steve was not happy. If I am correct mr3c did not first instigate this. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now Steve steps in and admonishes mr3c for misrepresenting the table as being restored to fellow members. Bans mr3c.

IMO, mr3c should not have based the table being restored by how beautiful it appeared in the pictures. His mistake 'he assumed'.
Youngstownkid never had any direct correspondence with mr3c and thus made the assumption that mr3c lived in Chicago and had seen the table, and knew it was restored.

But, leading up to the ban, mr3c in the previous two months threaded approx. 30 times. Many of which were pool or billiards related. Since IMO the members forum has almost never threaded anything related to pool. I threaded to have him reinstated and many members spoke up, and he can be a pain, but bottom line they wanted him to be reinstated, no one spoke up against him being reinstated. Whitey

I'd just like to add; I really enjoyed the thread on Artie, and I would like to see more of these types of threads, and especially more about the Chicago players, and the scene at that time. Players such as mr3c that know this history are getting up there, and as with this thread their input is invaluable for preservation of our billiards history. So I hope we have more threads like this one.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
he has great 3c knowledge and much pool as well. but he is very opinionated as many on here are, myself included.
but with bill anything he posts or says that is challenged, he turns it into a personal attack back at you and doesnt let up.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
1. He had a pissing match with Bill Stroud (rip) over Stroud's win/loss record, it turned voguer, and Steve shut down the thread. IMO mr3c pushed it to far.
2. Steve had threaded a new game '6 Pockets' w/ his rules for playing. Mr3c stated that it had been played for years previously in Chicago. IMO mr3c pushed it to far.
3. mr3c threaded a beautiful 1906 Brunswick Pocket Billiard Table for sale $6,000, and stated it was beautifully restored, mr3c was making a commission off the top. The table is top of the line worth 10 -15 g's and appeared drop dead gorgeous in the pictures. A table like this just does not come around often. Pilot was interested but wanted more pictures, he then backed out before more pictures arrived. Also youngstownkid was interested. Mr3c then backed out, and stated he was out of it on the table.

Youngstownkid then made a deal directly with the seller, who is a realtor that inadvertently inherited this table during an estate sale, in Chicago. He probably knew nothing about the table. A deal was for $3,500, so youngstownkid traveled to Chicago, and then realized it was not restored, for it
had patina/damage and the slate had damage. No deal, and out a grand.

In the interim the Facebook site was developed and it got voguer over the table episode, and those comments had to be deleted. Steve was not happy. If I am correct mr3c did not first instigate this. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now Steve steps in and admonishes mr3c for misrepresenting the table as being restored to fellow members. Bans mr3c.

IMO, mr3c should not have based the table being restored by how beautiful it appeared in the pictures, this was his one and only mistake. His mistake 'he assumed'.
Youngstownkid never had any direct correspondence with mr3c and thus made the assumption that mr3c lived in Chicago and had seen the table, and knew it was restored. But, Mr3c lives in Florida.

But, leading up to the ban, mr3c in the previous two months threaded approx. 30 times. Many of which were pool or billiards related. Since IMO the members forum has almost never threaded anything related to pool. I threaded to have him reinstated and many members spoke up, and he can be a pain, but bottom line they wanted him to be reinstated, no one spoke up against him being reinstated. Whitey

Yes, I think it's time to have his suspension lifted. You need to be liberal in these matters and progressive. You can always suspend him again if he fouls up, badly. Right? I think he'll be just fine. He said one time he was fine in The Cafe. He can at least be in this Autonomous Zone of Op....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
he has great 3c knowledge and much pool as well. but he is very opinionated as many on here are, myself included.
but with bill anything he posts or says that is challenged, he turns it into a personal attack back at you and doesnt let up.
hopefully if he is reinstated and i am in favor of a "pardon" he will change his posting style and keep the font size and bold at normal..... :)

OldSchool

Verified Member

As a matter of fact Dennis, he had more than 3 strikes, and what is imo the worst one you don't have listed. It was this:

You're probably not aware of it because it happened many years ago. Most other current members I'm sure aren't aware of it either. You may be familiar with the very, very excellent and well known one pocket player, and long time onepocket.org member who passed away several years ago named "San Jose Dick McMorran". San Jose Dick was best friends with some of our west coast members here like John Henderson and Kentucky Bill.

San Jose Dick and Mr. 3cushion hated each other and many years ago they had a long running feud going on this site. And where Mr. 3cushion really crossed the line one day back then was when he physically threatened an 80 yr. old San Jose Dick. He said he was going to send someone over to see San Jose Dick and give him a beating.

Old School

beatle

Verified Member
both of them went at it with anyone that wasnt in complete agreement with what they said.

dick was much worse as he was a top one pocket player and rarely would give anything of importance out to the forum that could help a player or even a discussion. he used the forums to build his ego and annoy people.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
As a matter of fact Dennis, he had more than 3 strikes, and what is imo the worst one you don't have listed. It was this:

You're probably not aware of it because it happened many years ago. Most other current members I'm sure aren't aware of it either. You may be familiar with the very, very excellent and well known one pocket player, and long time onepocket.org member who passed away several years ago named "San Jose Dick McMorran". San Jose Dick was best friends with some of our west coast members here like John Henderson and Kentucky Bill.

San Jose Dick and Mr. 3cushion hated each other and many years ago they had a long running feud going on this site. And where Mr. 3cushion really crossed the line one day back then was when he physically threatened an 80 yr. old San Jose Dick. He said he was going to send someone over to see San Jose Dick and give him a beating.

Old School
Since this is directed towards me. Yes, I have only been a member for approx. 3 yrs. so not aware of the past.
That sounds like a Mafioso hit from Chicago, for some reason I have to laugh that it escalates to this.
I was doing work for a guy from Chicago, believe me you do not want to cross him. Well I was in Vegas at the Open when I got a call that he had two of his guys on my door step. I lost proto and made it back there and got the work done while they waited in town.

Do you think mr3c has cooled some since those days? thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
both of them went at it with anyone that wasnt in complete agreement with what they said.

dick was much worse as he was a top one pocket player and rarely would give anything of importance out to the forum that could help a player or even a discussion. he used the forums to build his ego and annoy people.
Yeah, I do recall SJD being equally cantankerous and not really participating in actual 1P discussion or WWYDs. The best of Bill was pretty good but the worst was very unpleasant.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
hopefully if he is reinstated and i am in favor of a "pardon" he will change his posting style and keep the font size and bold at normal..... :)

I agree with YOU!!! and think that BILLY should be able to come BACK!!!!

(Seriously, why not? The man is what he is and we know what he is. We had some bad words after he insulted Mark (a couple times) after the whole antique table debacle.....and I feel bad about that and wish I could take it back but can't. It is what it is. He's an elderly man who was on the forum every day, and as Beatle points out is incredibly knowledgeable. Was a world class 3C player in his prime. As for the other stuff -- variety is the spice of life kind of thing.)

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
The "onepocket.org" forum has a collection of pool and billiard players from all over the country who love this game. Billy "mr3c" Smith is a recognized superior billiard player who loves this game. Our forum has appropriate guidelines governing conduct. Within this forum ideas and views are exchanged everyday. Sometimes the ideas and views get debated. Arguments may occur. But no one ever gets hurt. When I read, "San Jose Dick and Mr. 3cushion hated each other and many years ago they had a long running feud going on this site. And where Mr. 3cushion really crossed the line one day back then was when he physically threatened an 80 yr. old San Jose Dick. He said he was going to send someone over to see San Jose Dick and give him a beating," I knew it to be nothing more than an empty threat devoid of worth and meaning. I would surmise San Jose Dick thought likewise.

Whatever the other arguments that had occurred in the past between Billy Smith and other members of onepocket.org should be regarded as their individual displeasures to each other. Its a battle of words! No one is asking for forgiveness and no one is giving forgiveness. Although our forum has guidelines for governing conduct it should never be tyrannical.

Billy Smith is one of us. Need I say more?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I had a run in or two with Bill on here, and while I thought he was provoked too easily, I also had some good back and forth with him. He is a knowledgeable member of the family and we have gone through this before. Time to let him bank on board IMO.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I talked to mr3c about SJD, and asked him if he had a grudge from the past with SJD, he said; "no". Well did you ever meet SJD; he said; "no".
I go, you mean to tell me it was finger war, "yah, finger key board war", laughingly, we both laughed.

I remember when I was a rookie member, and I posted something, and I believe it was 'beatle', ( correct me if I am wrong), but he just outright attack me with some off the wall out of line bs. So I fired back, then he attacked me harder, I fired back again, and then he really laid his bs attack on me. I go damn this guy is good, he thrives on this s--t, so I backed off, for I knew it would just escalate even more, and could I hang and even want to go there; "No". I look back on it, and do not even remember what it was about. I think he was just testing the rookie out.

I had a bad day with a customer one day on the phone, and he really got under my skin, I went out drinking to calm it down, came back that night and posted a response to Island dr., for he had challenged me. I was not nice, and really poured it on to an insane level. We worked it out. Another time I would not let up on Patrick Johnston about squirt on inside reverse shots. Bot instances I regret that it happened.

Larry on few occasions said I should go back quite a few years and check out the wwyd's, for you had all these high power op players going at it, and not mincing words, very detailed depictions of shot selections, and really educational. Whitey

Last edited: