XF 2.2.2

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, we are upgraded to the latest version!

For those who want to read everything about it, feel free to check out the release notes here.

Here is a short version of some of the new features. Some of these may still need to be set up/activated in the admin section as I am still reading and learning where everything is.`

FORUMS & THREAD TYPES

They added some new types of threads and forums we can use. For example, a "Question" thread where you are looking for a definitive answer on something, people can answer and others can upvote it so the popular answer is easy for the person asking to see. An "Article" thread gives you more characters and room. In both of these new types, the very first post is pinned at the top! So, perfect for our WWYDS! Now, instead of having to go back to page 1 every time to see the table layout, it will be pinned at the top of every page for easy access! There are other types of threads and forums, but these 2 I thought deserved mention.

TEXT EDITOR

They changed the editor, they way it looks, fits and reacts. Now you can see the quote in your reply, now you can see the images in your posts, and more!

USERNAME CHANGE

They have had requests for years about having this ability so they finally implemented it. So now, if you are so inclined, you are able to change your username on the forum without admin permission needed to facilitate it. Please keep in mind that even if you change your username, everyone will be able to see your old username(s) by hovering over your name for a period of 90 days after you change it. Admins will be able to see it forever. I have no plans to change mine but for those who really want to, go for it!

-----------------------------------

There are a lot of other things too more for the admin side like SEO improvements, progressive web apps, etc.

Enjoy!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Mr. IT man. You're the best.

Would we have to select "article" mode to keep the first post visible on each page, or does it happen automatically?

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Mr. IT man. You're the best.

Would we have to select "article" mode to keep the first post visible on each page, or does it happen automatically?
yes, when you start a new thread there are 4 options (tabs)

Discussion - normal thread
Question - pins top post, asks a question where people can answer and others can upvote answers and whoever asks the question can choose a solution.
Article - pins top post, gives larger area for pictures and text
Poll - polls the forum

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, I have a basic dark style enabled called "Shades of Grey". I want to go in and modify some of the colors (link colors and/or other things) but it's a good start I think. To switch your style, in the bottom left hand corner, scroll all the way down and click where it says "Default Style". There you can choose which style you want, click the style and a couple seconds later it switches for you.

1611005004883.png

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I just realized I didn't have the "location" field enabled like we had it in the old forums so you can quickly see where the user is form (if they choose to share it). You can go into your profile and edit it to change or add one if you don't currently. Some of the longer names break down to a new line which I am looking for a fix to, like maybe changing the word from "location" to "from" or even removing the word all together.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Chris, My only question about our site is - why is the site not secure ? Does that hurt anybody's personal info ?

It is the only web address I get on that shows Not secure.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Chris, My only question about our site is - why is the site not secure ? Does that hurt anybody's personal info ?

It is the only web address I get on that shows Not secure.
I'm sure there are things hackers can get or do if they wanted to even if it was more secure. But yes, on the to do list is changing it to https instead of http.