3C and 1P

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I was reading the Sang Lee story and got thinking about 3C and gambling. It seems like it would be rather different than other games. Let's take banks - you watch a guy stiff three or four at warp speed and it "puts a tremble in your stroke." Same with nine-ball - guy breaks at around 22 mph and gets out behind it four or fives times. Even one pocket - dude squeezes you with knowledge and runs an eight and out. You are shakin' in your boots!

Does this happen with 3C? I mean, from my perspective, it's mainly a lot of really slow shots (with some cool stroke shots every now and again). Does the pressure of playing over your head come in in the same way?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I was reading the Sang Lee story and got thinking about 3C and gambling. It seems like it would be rather different than other games. Let's take banks - you watch a guy stiff three or four at warp speed and it "puts a tremble in your stroke." Same with nine-ball - guy breaks at around 22 mph and gets out behind it four or fives times. Even one pocket - dude squeezes you with knowledge and runs an eight and out. You are shakin' in your boots!

Does this happen with 3C? I mean, from my perspective, it's mainly a lot of really slow shots (with some cool stroke shots every now and again). Does the pressure of playing over your head come in in the same way?

If you know & understand 3C then it's the same thing as pocket billiards.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Interview yesterday and today

I have only seen it on the internet - I don't think there is a 3C table in the entire state of Kentucky. I think the game is neat but am genuinely curious as to the gambler's mindset with this game.

It was the same mindset when I gambled in 3C. It can be brutal. Pocket games are often a game of inches, but in 3c it seems a game of millimeters.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

SB; 3C is the BEST game in the world to lay down the, "Lemon!" If you're a top player playing an egg, there are perfect ways to stall. If you're playing a fairly decent player, the stall has a different face, if you stall the wrong way the better players will wake up. This is where the, "Real" art of the stall comes into play in 3c! In 3 cushion, a top player can control the game just as much as top players in One Pocket! It's an "art form" that you don't see too much anymore, with all the so called, "Tournament players"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
SB; 3C is the BEST game in the world to lay down the, "Lemon!" If you're a top player playing an egg, there are perfect ways to stall. If you're playing a fairly decent player, the stall has a different face, if you stall the wrong way the better players will wake up. This is where the, "Real" art of the stall comes into play in 3c! In 3 cushion, a top player can control the game just as much as top players in One Pocket! It's an "art form" that you don't see too much anymore, with all the so called, "Tournament players"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I was more talking about pressure, but let's talk about stalling - you guys are so good with your systems that it seems like you could miss a ball just slightly and it would hard to call out, right? I mean, if you went for a ridiculous route over a dead route, the other player would wisen up, right?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
It was the same mindset when I gambled in 3C. It can be brutal. Pocket games are often a game of inches, but in 3c it seems a game of millimeters.

Mkbtank; I was not aware that you are or were a 3 cushion player. And gamble, a little rare!
Do you still play, and if you do, where? Unfortunately, where I reside now, the closest 3C table North is, 160 miles, Jacksonville, FL., and South, 177 miles, Coconut Creek, FL.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mkbtank; I was not aware that you are or were a 3 cushion player. And gamble, a little rare!

Do you still play, and if you do, where? Unfortunately, where I reside now, the closest 3C table North is, 160 miles, Jacksonville, FL., and South, 177 miles, Coconut Creek, FL.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I will start a new thread Bill. I fear this high jacking of a great thread is getting too egregious.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I was more talking about pressure, but let's talk about stalling - you guys are so good with your systems that it seems like you could miss a ball just slightly and it would hard to call out, right? I mean, if you went for a ridiculous route over a dead route, the other player would wisen up, right?

SB; Here's an excerpt from by book/DVD, "The Concise Book of Position Play" that might explain my thoughts about, pressure and "hustling" 3 cushion.

Secrets of a 3 Cushion Billiard Hustler

I have to confess I’ve probably won more money from 1968-2000 than anyone in the US playing 3 cushion billiards. One of my first victims was a celebrity, Milton Berle, $30.00 which he promptly stiffed me, his excuse, “hey kid, you think I would have taken your money”, I was 19.

Though out my career I’ve played for $2.00 a game up to $90,000.00 a game and I’m here to tell you there’s no difference. It all depends on your life style and circumstances. If you’re broke, the $2.00 game looks like a million. If you’re flush, the $90,000.00 feels like a deuce. It’s all relative.

Playing in tournaments and playing billiards for money (gambling) are two different unique experiences. In a tournament you usually get to play the same opponent once maybe twice and there is usually a time span between those games, so you don’t get a real feel for your opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Playing for money you’re playing the same opponent game after game so the player can calculate what kind of game their involved in. You don’t have to worry about average, how safe you play, or how long you take on every shot. The main objective is to WIN THE GAME, especially when you’re playing for money out of your pocket.

When a better player gives a handicap to a weaker player in terms of points on the wire, the first objective for the giving player is to, make up those points and get control of the game. I’ve seen many players’ do just the opposite, they start out by playing safe to catch up, and you need points to catch up. Once the better player has caught up they can try to control the rest of the game by playing position and by using shot-safeties.

When playing a player of equal strength, try to be somewhat intimidating in the early stages. I’ve beaten many better players on paper because they couldn’t repel my constant aggressive play and timely safety play. You must have a persona of total confidence in your game. If your opponent senses any weakness and if their smart, they will use it to their advantage. This is very important, “You don’t always have to play your best to win, but, you do have to play your smartest”!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
3C and 1P

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I was a 9 ball player for years. Always swore I'd never play 1P. Then one day I played an old timer a game of 3c for kicks at Takony Billiards in Philly and loved it. For the next 18 months, I only played 3 cushion.

Problem was, the old timers had been playing for 20 years. So, I knew I'd need to study if I didn't want to take as long to become competitive. I started reading the "billiard atlas" daily and learning diamond systems, and within a year, I was at least competing! And yes... I gambled at it, although not many of the other 3c players did so it wasn't for more than 25 a game when they would agree lol. The tables were just ok. There is another Philly location with 3 great heated tables... Drexeline Billiards.

Unfortunately, I don't play 3c anymore because about 4-5 years ago I started playing 1p and am naturally, completely addicted (and there ain't no cure).

I must say though that there is not one day that goes by when I play one pocket that am not grateful that I played 3c first!! Controlling whitey, kick shots, tickies, multi-rail hits, caroms, and banks are all things I learned in 3-c and come up daily in 1-p.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Got a question for you. Like everyone, I was blown away at Efren's skill set. However, after watching some 3c and balkline, I see where it comes from and he is rendered human again. Do you agree?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I was a 9 ball player for years. Always swore I'd never play 1P. Then one day I played an old timer a game of 3c for kicks at Takony Billiards in Philly and loved it. For the next 18 months, I only played 3 cushion.

Problem was, the old timers had been playing for 20 years. So, I knew I'd need to study if I didn't want to take as long to become competitive. I started reading the "billiard atlas" daily and learning diamond systems, and within a year, I was at least competing! And yes... I gambled at it, although not many of the other 3c players did so it wasn't for more than 25 a game when they would agree lol. The tables were just ok. There is another Philly location with 3 great heated tables... Drexeline Billiards.

Unfortunately, I don't play 3c anymore because about 4-5 years ago I started playing 1p and am naturally, completely addicted (and there ain't no cure).

I must say though that there is not one day that goes by when I play one pocket that am not grateful that I played 3c first!! Controlling whitey, kick shots, tickies, multi-rail hits, caroms, and banks are all things I learned in 3-c and come up daily in 1-p.

Mkbtank; I've been to Bob Madolf's room in Drexeline Billiards. He has 2 very nice heated tables in the back. A friend of mine Frank Grandelli plays there.
Over 45 years ago I played in "Newby's" and "Allengers." Two Old style rooms from back in the day.

There's NO doubt knowledge of 3C will improve and aid any level pocket player, whether it be, 1P, or the rotation games.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
3C and 1P

Mkbtank; I've been to Bob Madolf's room in Drexeline Billiards. He has 2 very nice heated tables in the back. A friend of mine Frank Grandelli plays there.

Over 45 years ago I played in "Newby's" and "Allengers." Two Old style rooms from back in the day.

There's NO doubt knowledge of 3C will improve and aid any level pocket player, whether it be, 1P, or the rotation games.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Yep. I have known Frank for years. (I watched him run a 16 a couple years ago!). Great guy. How would you play him?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Yep. I have known Frank for years. (I watched him run a 16 a couple years ago!). Great guy. How would you play him?

Maybe, 50-35,37. Somewhere in that range. Frank calls me all the time for info on, "How to play" And systems He's always working on, He's VERY anal! lol

I've been trying to convince him to go to other rooms and play different people fro some competition!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
3C and 1P

Maybe, 50-35,37. Somewhere in that range. Frank calls me all the time for info on, "How to play" And systems He's always working on, He's VERY anal! lol

I've been trying to convince him to go to other rooms and play different people fro some competition!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

That's very impressive! I can see that about Frank. :).

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

3C can really grab you. When I got the 3C bug in L.A. in the late 60's, I didn't want to do anything else. I gave up pool and snooker-- in part because I didn't have the money to gamble with the guys who played my speed. Anyway I got hooked big time.

Unfortunately when I left L.A. I soon found out that there is very little billiards played outside of the major metro centers. If they had an active 3C scene in my area, I'd give up all other cue sports (maybe even 1P). E.g. I was surprised to learn that the Houston area has 50 tables! Of course one might have to learn to speak some Oriental language.;)

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

mitch are you a "systems" guy or "feel " guy
or both??
when it comes to kicks /banks??
pm me if you want

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
3C can really grab you. When I got the 3C bug in L.A. in the late 60's, I didn't want to do anything else. I gave up pool and snooker-- in part because I didn't have the money to gamble with the guys who played my speed. Anyway I got hooked big time.

Unfortunately when I left L.A. I soon found out that there is very little billiards played outside of the major metro centers. If they had an active 3C scene in my area, I'd give up all other cue sports (maybe even 1P). E.g. I was surprised to learn that the Houston area has 50 tables! Of course one might have to learn to speak some Oriental language.;)

Doc

Doc; You said a mouthful about the allure of the game!
This may be some of the reasons.

"Billiards"

“It is a science—the study of a lifetime, in which you may exhaust yourself, but never the subject.

“It is a contest, a duel a melee, calling for courage, skill, strategy and self-control.

“It is a test of temper, a trial of honor, a revealer of character.

“It affords a chance to play the man and act the gentleman.

“It means physical exercise, a sweeping away of the mental cobwebs, genuine recreation of the tired tissues.

“It’s a cure for care an antidote to worry.

“It includes companionship with friends, club intercourse, opportunity for courtesy and fairness to an opponent.

“It promotes not only physical health, but moral force."

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"