5 rack game?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Oh do tell!

I wanna know the secret break! :)
No secret really. Red woud hit between 2nd/3rd ball, draw the CB to the long rail above the pocket, inside spin. CB goes to foot rail and spins into corner ball knocking it back towards his pocket and often killing the CB there.
Hope this is understandable.
P.S. he/we played a made on the break ball spotted last.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
No secret really. Red woud hit between 2nd/3rd ball, draw the CB to the long rail above the pocket, inside spin. CB goes to foot rail and spins into corner ball knocking it back towards his pocket and often killing the CB there.
Interesting, that's how Filler broke the balls many times that I watched. Thanks for sharing, Rod.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
My friend that I told about this game, developed a second ball break that has been working very well. I do not know how he hits it. I mistaking originally told him it was 4 racks instead of 5, so he still plays 4 racks and is putting up impressive numbers in the 20's. So developing of a new break over the way it was done years back, makes a difference. But try the head ball break as I depicted it, and you will see just how difficult it is. Whitey

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Yep, he’d swing it outta the corner, back into the stack thereby effectively breaking the balls open twice and driving them towards his pocket twice... he hardly ever got tied up using this break, so it was key to him getting high #’s most of the time... Rod and I witnessed him take a prop bet on getting all 15... I think the odds were 10/1 against getting all 15... I believe he did it on the 3rd try and then did it back to back! Lol. Needless to say, the guy pulled up! Red was something!

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Yep, he’d swing it outta the corner, back into the stack thereby effectively breaking the balls open twice and driving them towards his pocket twice... he hardly ever got tied up using this break, so it was key to him getting high #’s most of the time... Rod and I witnessed him take a prop bet on getting all 15... I think the odds were 10/1 against getting all 15... I believe he did it on the 3rd try and then did it back to back! Lol. Needless to say, the guy pulled up! Red was something!
This is the exact break I have been trying for the last month trying to get to 15, I only get to play one or two days a week so not going amazing and I also have a touch under 4 inch pockets which doesn't make it easy but I will prevail !!!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This is the exact break I have been trying for the last month trying to get to 15, I only get to play one or two days a week so not going amazing and I also have a touch under 4 inch pockets which doesn't make it easy but I will prevail !!!
I probably would not have a 15 ball run if my pockets were that tight. Keep trying, I have faith in you.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Love this, it's a different speed than I tried in the past, I will have to give it a try. Thanks.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Jay Helfert used to sell DVDs of one pocket ghost challenge from 2011 DCC. I think Mika won it with 58 balls. Alex P. and John Schmidt made good runs of over 50, too. Does anyone have those videos?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
nice break Rod, I will have to try that one when I ever get to a table again!!! I wish I could have seen Red play, but I have seen JJ play who was mentored by him and if that's any indication, he had to be top notch.

That's awful impressive Ratamon, but again they are taking BIH after the break, which is completely different. Now I want to try some that way as well and hopefully get past 9! :)

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Filler was shooting at 45.5 during the pandemic. Ball in hand after the break. He could easily beat 47.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Jay Helfert used to sell DVDs of one pocket ghost challenge from 2011 DCC. I think Mika won it with 58 balls. Alex P. and John Schmidt made good runs of over 50, too. Does anyone have those videos?

i was thinking Gabe Owen ran a ridiculous number of balls one year as well....

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I made a couple vids of 5 Rack with no ball in hand. One using Whitey's 2nd ball break (my interpretation anyway) and one using the Red, Rod, Jeff 3rd ball break spinning out of the corner. It is such a different mind set not getting ball in hand after the break and scratches count. I'm still not clear on the rules...

I would appreciate Whitey letting us know if this is the break he described. And, Rod/Jeff/Ben if there is a way to improve the spin-out break. Thanks.

Now you can see how fortunate I was to run 15 🤪

Spinning out of the corner break:

2nd ball break:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
when I do the break to kick the corner ball over I like to place cue ball at around the first diamond towards the center I feel like less balls move towards the wrong corner

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Didn't Gabe Owen run something like 62 at this game? MIght of been Helfert who said that might stand up for quite a long time.

I thought top players put the over/under at 25 back in the day so if Filler is doing 45 plus that is phenomenal.

Allen Hopkins schooled the youngin's too on the no ball in hand break on this IIRC...which I might not. Friday, been a long week lol.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I only ever did the head ball break and that was 50 yrs. ago. My friend that I introduced the game to, does a second ball break, but I do not know how he hits it.
But, how do you like it for practice? This was part of my OP practice oh so many years ago. I'd do it once in awhile, but mainly in practice I broke and played a regular game of OP. Whitey