5 rack game?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
We should develop a onepocket.org universal set of rules for this OP game. I'll write up a set of rules tonight to give us somewhere to start.
But, is there an official name for this game? If not we'll need suggestions.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
5 RACK ONE POCKET

The Game:
It is a proposition game of One Pocket between a non-player and the player. The proposition is that the player has 5 racks of balls to score a predetermine x-amount of balls into one corner foot pocket. The x-amount of balls to be scored is determined by the opponents prior to the game starting.

The Rack: 15 balls are racked randomly within a standard triangle rack, by the player. The opponent has the right to inspect the rack and ask for corrections to be made if warranted.

The Break requirements: The designated scoring pocket must be declared before breaking the initial rack, with no further declaration needed unless there is a scoring pocket change. The entire cue ball must be placed within the kitchen. Any racked ball can be first contacted. There is no requirement for any ball to contact a rail, or to pocket a ball, but the rack must be contacted or it is a foul. A ball made in the designated scoring pocket, counts. After the opening break shot, play continues unless a foul has occurred, which ends the rack and the score is a -1 ball.

Game Continuing: The rack continues only if a ball is scored. The rack will also end upon any foul. Each foul is a -1 ball deduction. If a ball is scored but a foul occurs it will not be scored, plus it is a loss of 1 scored ball, unless no balls have been scored then the score is a -1 ball. The ball count is tracked after each rack. Any balls made in a neutral pocket are spotted once all the other balls have been scored. All shots must be played with a standard playing cue only, no cue extensions allowed.

Game Won: The player must score the predetermined x-amount of balls within 5 racks.

*Any further rules of play or any alternative rules of play are to be determined between the opponents*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any discussions and/or suggestions welcomed. This is a start, it might be ok, or not! The * sentence will cover a lot.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I played several racks yesterday. A lot of it was working on different breaks. But it sure felt good, it has been quite a few decades since I did this practice. My positioning needs work! I like how it presents many combinations which I need work on! This practice I would suggest to Baby Huey for he has been wondering how to stay in stroke.
I'll have to get more in stroke before thinking about videoing 5 racks! This game got me to practice, for it has been a few months since I have been enthusiastic about practicing, since I am laying low because of the virus.
Thanks for the thread, Cincy!
Keep up the videos they are great. 12 square / catkins you guys are stroking it! Whitey

Last edited:

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
5 RACK ONE POCKET

The Game:
It is a proposition game of One Pocket between a non-player and the player. The proposition is that the player has 5 racks of balls to score a predetermine x-amount of balls into one corner foot pocket. The x-amount of balls to be scored is determined by the opponents prior to the game starting.

The Rack: 15 balls are racked randomly within a standard triangle rack, by the player.

The Break requirements: The designated scoring pocket must be declared before breaking. The entire cue ball must be placed within the kitchen. Any racked ball can be first contacted. There is no requirement for any ball to contact a rail, or to pocket a ball, but the rack must be contacted or it is a foul. A ball made in the designated scoring pocket, counts. After the opening break shot, play continues unless a foul has occurred, which ends the rack and the score is a -1 ball.

Game Continuing: Play continues only if a ball is scored. The rack will also end upon any foul, including a scratch on the break. Each foul is a -1 ball deduction. If a ball is scored but a foul occurs it will not be scored, plus it is a loss of 1 scored ball unless no balls have been scored then the score is -1 ball. The ball count is tracked after each rack. Any balls made in a neutral pocket are spotted once all the other balls have been scored. Any balls made in the scoring pocket on the break do not count and are spotted once all the other balls have been potted. All shots must be played with your playing cue only.

Game Won: The player must score the predetermined x-amount of balls within 5 racks.

*Any further rules of play are to be determined between the opponents*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any discussions and/or suggestions welcomed. This is a start, it might be ok, or not! The * sentence will cover a lot.
Whitey

A great starter for 10 Whitey! I don't like "the ball on the break counts" bit. This is a test of skill, not luck. I have made a couple of tweaks in bold blue above. Let me know what you think. An alternative to spotting the ball on the break would be to re-rack the balls.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I have been trying to recover a bit of my feel and with the 2 ball on the rail I hit the cue ball much higher than I wanted I was trying to stun straight across for the two low balls than come for the 4 ant ty it is nice to get feed back

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sLjjFp43FEoGxW158 Whitey's Break!
I was self taught, and this is the break I developed for this game. For the first shot I have the option of shooting the 15 or the 6 with options after that. Notice the left side of the rack exploded properly.
Over the last couple of days I've tried many different breaks, including the 2 ball and the Jersey Red break, plus other head ball breaks, but today I said I am going to go back to my break and see how it compares. It brought back memories of 50 yrs. ago. This break worked the best for me!

It feels weird giving up secrets, for this game was always kept kind of undercover for hustlers, and here I am giving away my break. Well I guess the kids of today do not have to learn this stuff on their own. My Lord help us, what's it all come to. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sLjjFp43FEoGxW158 Whitey's Break!
I was self taught, and this is the break I developed for this game. For the first shot I have the option of shooting the 15 or the 6 with options after that. Notice the left side of the rack exploded properly.
Over the last couple of days I've tried many different breaks, including the 2 ball and the Jersey Red break, plus other head ball breaks, but today I said I am going to go back to my break and see how it compares. It brought back memories of 50 yrs. ago. This break worked the best for me!

It feels weird giving up secrets, for this game was always kept kind of undercover for hustlers, and here I am giving away my break. Well I guess the kids of today do not have to learn this stuff on their own. My Lord help us, what's it all come to. Whitey
I like that break, Whitey. It's hit harder than I envisioned when you first described it. Love it, it's a thing of beauty and genius! Thanks.

I have a question since you are charged with creating the rules: If one fouls 3 consecutive times is it a loss of game?

My question will become clear in my next post. 🤣😂
Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This is an interesting post of my 5 rack attempt this evening while in my jammies. I wish I would have seen Whitey's creative and effective break he just posted before my attempts, but I wouldn't have missed the results for anything. The pool gods have a good sense of humor. 😂🤪

Please see my question in the previous post, I meant it since my 1st 2 breaks were scratches. -2 after 2 racks, but then things got interesting...(oh, I switched pockets so not shooting into the camera, except the cue ball 😂🤣)

Hopefully this works now that I edited out most of the sound/songs.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I like that break, Whitey. It's hit harder than I envisioned when you first described it. Love it, it's a thing of beauty and genius! Thanks.

I have a question since you are charged with creating the rules: If one fouls 3 consecutive times is it a loss of game?

My question will become clear in my next post. 🤣😂
Dave
Emphatically 'No'! And if so, it would be categorized under the * sentence *. This is a hustler's game, let the opponents decide this kind of stuff IMO. Saying NO is just my opinion.
Same with 'cue ball foul only' vs. 'all ball fouls'. I learned from Butch the owner of the Bellflower Palace that when an ob is inadvertently touched it is not a foul unless you continue to shoot. He told me that is how hustlers play. So let this fall under *sentence* also. Why should we decide what hustlers want to do.

But everything is open for discussion on the game rule, this is just the first draft to get it going.

Thanks for your comment about my break, it is a shot from the past for me, and I really appreciate your comment! You are really a stewart of the game. I believe it was you that was interested in my inside reverse stroke to eliminate squirt. Whitey
This is an interesting post of my 5 rack attempt this evening while in my jammies. I wish I would have seen Whitey's creative and effective break he just posted before my attempts, but I wouldn't have missed the results for anything. The pool gods have a good sense of humor. 😂🤪

Please see my question in the previous post, I meant it since my 1st 2 breaks were scratches. -2 after 2 racks, but then things got interesting...(oh, I switched pockets so not shooting into the camera, except the cue ball 😂🤣)

I click on your video, and it is unavailable! Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I click on your video, and it is unavailable! Whitey
I just learned that YouTube has blocked it because a couple Beatle songs were playing in the background. I'll try to remove the songs, but I think it will take a while and it's past my bedtime. Sorry about that.

Edit: Try the link now, i removed most of the sound including the songs.

Last edited: