5 rack game?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave, just watched your video, great game salvage. I got a smile all over when you ran the last rack. The balls sure busted open, except one rack I believe. My balls would never open up that much and that easily using that little of force.

Well, I am glad my break appears to be working for you. What I like about it, is the cb if it gets to much top it then can float on down because of the above center hit, and then when that happens you can start with working below the stack.

Question, when doing this break are you hitting it straight on, or on an angle? Straight on then the head ball can come back with the cb and tie it up, but if you break on a slight angle of say 3" or so off of the head spot to the left (left pocket and vise versa) then the head ball clears out of the way, and I got a great spread.

Nice shooting! It appears you are getting into stroke, for it seems you are seeing the shots quicker, thus shooting faster and pocketing cleaner. I would suggest comparing your latest video with a very early video, and I think you will notice a difference.

Back in the day, I notice I was seeing the shot quicker and shooting faster, so I called up a friend to keep track of how many 9-ball games I could play in 30 min. on 5 x10 w/ drop pockets and I racking, I did 14 games. It was crazy I was literally running around the table like a mad man from shot to shot and then running pulling all the balls out and racking. I was probably 19.

I have to laugh thinking about it.
Nice breaking, nice shooting, you are starting to make it look easy. A lot of these shots and positioning are not that easy, and I realize that, congrats! Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Question, when doing this break are you hitting it straight on, or on an angle? Straight on then the head ball can come back with the cb and tie it up, but if you break on a slight angle of say 3" or so off of the head spot to the left (left pocket and vise versa) then the head ball clears out of the way, and I got a great spread.

Whitey
Thanks Whitey. I know the angle makes it tough to to see where I'm breaking from, but if you look at where my cue crosses the end rail you'll see that the cue crosses just inside the 1st diamond, so yes, I'm off center as it looked like you were.

It's funny because I switched balls for a couple days (Aramith Tournament balls with the measles ball that came with the set) and with those balls my normal center break would marry the QB with the head ball fairly often. So I started hitting the break firmer above center and the results were much better. I them switched back to my older centennial set of balls with the blue circle QB (my normal set of balls) and that break didn't work nearly as well. So adapting your break with that set worked much better. I think the "throat clearing" video shows the Aramith set.

My next video will hopefully be the 40+ run I'm hopeful to achieve, but it's allusive because you either need 4 great runs or 5 great breaks. I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it. 🤣😱🤯

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PYumJ5YYmoAuCYED8
I believe I miss counted and need to add one more ball, LOL!
But, about 3 hiccups keep the score down. Man, I sure can tell I have the early morning caffeine jitters, plus on camera jitters. Yeh, I am on edge, no more caffeine before doing this again.
I'll try to post a video once in awhile, but not much free time to work on this, but got a decent count so I posted this.
Fast forward past the racking to save some time, I can not get through 5 racks as quick as Dave and Catkins, I just am not that in stroke.
Enjoy, Whitey
Billy Jackets, your scrutiny, if you will, thanks!

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
nice shooting a lot of good saves and good combos
Thanks for the compliment, but feel free to really scrutinize, I'd appreciate it.
You, Dave, and Tom included, are staying much more relaxed, and stroking cleaner. I like the way you guys are progressing!
IMO I am a mess in this one, but it sure brings home reality in being able to watch yourself.
The next video just has to be better. I did like my choice of patterns vs. some other direction I could of gone with.
thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave & Catkins;
I tried breaking from the opposite side (right side/left pocket) 4" to right of long string using a lot of natural english, which in this case is right, stroked not to hard with below center. With this break I like to let the cb creep to the right side of the stack.

But as you know my balls do not seem to open up as well, but it seems by using a lot of natural english then they do. So I would like you guys to try using a lot of natural english on your breaks and see how it works for you. Also try breaking from where I break as depicted above, if you will.
thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave & Catkins;
I tried breaking from the opposite side (right side/left pocket) 4" to right of long string using a lot of natural english, which in this case is right, stroked not to hard with below center. With this break I like to let the cb creep to the right side of the stack.

But as you know my balls do not seem to open up as well, but it seems by using a lot of natural english then they do. So I would like you guys to try using a lot of natural english on your breaks and see how it works for you. Also try breaking from where I break as depicted above, if you will.
thanks, Whitey
I'll check it out next as Di and I took a drive to the mountains

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I went to a pool hall Thursday and was impressed with how bad I am playing , there might have been some alcohol and just being happier to be in a pool hall than caring how well I played but just reminds me that to play good one pocket you need to put your mind against some one else not just bang your head against drills

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMnCaZEYyzfsK5uF6
Here is the break I'd like you guys to try. Either from this position approx. 3" off of head spot, or from where you guys break from. But use natural english, in this break I am using rhe. I believe the rhe is making the balls open up better.
It seems you can use this break to go to either pocket. I call this the bowling ball break, for the english I put on it makes it act like a bowling ball with a lot of curve put on it, and the pins go flying every where.
But you guys just stroke it like you normally would just put outside english on it. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Yesterday I had a 5 rack / 13. So I said the heck with it and turned off the camera. The next rack I got a 14, w/ a 5 rack/34, I most of warmed up, or relaxed with the camera off. But I wished I had that rack videoed for I had 5 banks in that one. Crazy fun!
But I had individual racks of 2-14's, a 13, a 12, and an 11. Now just need to string them together, LOL! Just thought I'd share my good day at this game.
Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yesterday I had a 5 rack / 13. So I said the heck with it and turned off the camera. The next rack I got a 14, w/ a 5 rack/34, I most of warmed up, or relaxed with the camera off. But I wished I had that rack videoed for I had 5 banks in that one. Crazy fun!
But I had individual racks of 2-14's, a 13, a 12, and an 11. Now just need to string them together, LOL! Just thought I'd share my good day at this game.
Whitey
Great shooting, Whitey! Congrats.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMnCaZEYyzfsK5uF6
Here is the break I'd like you guys to try. Either from this position approx. 3" off of head spot, or from where you guys break from. But use natural english, in this break I am using rhe. I believe the rhe is making the balls open up better.
It seems you can use this break to go to either pocket. I call this the bowling ball break, for the english I put on it makes it act like a bowling ball with a lot of curve put on it, and the pins go flying every where.
But you guys just stroke it like you normally would just put outside english on it. thanks, Whitey
Great break, I like it!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
As this thread is winding down this will be my last video post. It's over 19 minutes long, which is my longest 5 rack total. With the help of a kick, several banks, combos and of course my table's generous pockets I did run a 42. It was exhausting. 🤪💪👍🤬

Ok, I'm officially old. I played so many racks over the last 3 days that I couldn't remember if I played a rack before the 15 or not. And, if that's not enough I played a 6th rack because I wasn't sure if I played 5 so I trimmed out the last rack.

I must admit I had fun in this thread and would like to thank cincy_kid for starting it. Whitey's and catkins (the other Chris) participation has been great and really made it special. And, thanks to Tom Wirth joining in later with excellent videos along with everyone's participation adding very helpful comments and observations.

Peace. Out. (I'll still be around and use this for practice, but I'm done recording).
Dave

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave,
This is a beautiful display of 5 Rack OP. Great control, patterns were right on, the touch and feel is there.
I see quite a difference in your play vs. your initial 15 ball attempts, and that is what this game is meant to do, to get that feel.
thanks for all the input!. I'll continue to put up a video now and again, just other priorities right now.

It will only get better from here on in, as you incorporate this game into your practice.
Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave,
This is a beautiful display of 5 Rack OP. Great control, patterns were right on, the touch and feel is there.
I see quite a difference in your play vs. your initial 15 ball attempts, and that is what this game is meant to do, to get that feel.
thanks for all the input!. I'll continue to put up a video now and again, just other priorities right now.

It will only get better from here on in, as you incorporate this game into your practice.
Whitey
Thanks Whitey. It helps that I played 4+ hours a day for the last 3 days leading up to this run trying like crazy to get to 45. I guess it's just not in my DNA...but I thought I had a chance after 26 in the first two racks. LOL

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Whitey. It helps that I played 4+ hours a day for the last 3 days leading up to this run trying like crazy to get to 45. I guess it's just not in my DNA...but I thought I had a chance after 26 in the first two racks. LOL

super impressive, 42!

Now I can see why you are our reigning MOT Champion!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
It does speak to your endurance, and determination to achieve your goal. I find that it is much harder in this game of pool when I try to reach a goal that I have set for myself. In our in town bca 8-ball league, many players put great importance on having the most 8-ball runs, so as they are running the balls it is on their mind, and thus fall short. Whereas many times I do not even realize I have ran the rack, for my focus is so strong on each shot.
Take John Schmidt trying to beat Mosconi record, which is still being decided upon, but look how much pressure he put himself under.

Its in your DNA, a 45, you know you have put in the ground work, now you just need to let it happen. These great records, almost all did not come from trying but they just happened. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
It does speak to your endurance, and determination to achieve your goal. I find that it is much harder in this game of pool when I try to reach a goal that I have set for myself. In our in town bca 8-ball league, many players put great importance on having the most 8-ball runs, so as they are running the balls it is on their mind, and thus fall short. Whereas many times I do not even realize I have ran the rack, for my focus is so strong on each shot.
Take John Schmidt trying to beat Mosconi record, which is still being decided upon, but look how much pressure he put himself under.

Its in your DNA, a 45, you know you have put in the ground work, now you just need to let it happen. These great records, almost all did not come from trying but they just happened. Whitey
When?? ... hahaha Thanks.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
HI Dave, I've been keeping track on you, my friend. I like what I'm seeing. Your stroke looks uniform, smooth, and accurate and confident. I'm enjoying watching your patterns too. As you already know. the game of One Pocket has two distinctly different parts. The cat and mouse moving where the goal is to beat your opponent to the first good shot, and then follow that up with long runs. Which is more important? Well that's like asking which came first, egg or chicken. Still, the quality of any player's game hinges on their ability to score when the opportunity arises. We don't get credit for the number of times we find a good shot in the course of a game of One Pocket. We only get credit for the number of balls we pocket. Offense will always reign supreme.
You are well on your way to out classing all but the very best. Nice shooting!

Tom