Action: Jet vs Brumback

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
First I've heard of the rumored match. Jet plays real well. He's a protege of Beard's, and I believe he won the banks ring game at the last DCC.

But Brumback is not only presumably the best bank pool player playing today, but I assume he is also a seasoned action player. I they are to play, I imagine Jet would need some weight.

Beard? Ghost? (If they're in on it, they may want to keep mum)

Doc

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I was curious how Jet was doing since the DCC. He snapped off the Banks Ring Game and won some good money. What's he been up to since he got back? Did he ride a confidence high, did he match up alot, did he play better or worse? Just curious what happens with a guy that scores a good win in the following months....

Updates Freddy/Ghostie?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No game

No game

gulfportdoc said:
First I've heard of the rumored match. Jet plays real well. He's a protege of Beard's, and I believe he won the banks ring game at the last DCC.

But Brumback is not only presumably the best bank pool player playing today, but I assume he is also a seasoned action player. I they are to play, I imagine Jet would need some weight.

Beard? Ghost? (If they're in on it, they may want to keep mum)

Doc

Jet's backer, Ed Gobbo, was negotiating with Tony Banks Coleman re a game for Jet at Red Shoes this week. Tony suggested various scenarios, Jet vs Jason Kirkwood, Jet vs Shannon Murphy, and Jet vs Brumback with a slight spot. All those games apparently fell through, through no fault of Eddie Gobbo or Tony Banks. Tony' "stable" was reluctant to participate. Jet is fired up and anxious to play anybody. especially with a solid backer like Eddie.

Jet is an old-style, hard core, no nonsense hustler. Big heart, with no give-up, and an all-consuming will to win. He dont just want to beat you, he wants to eat you! His nickname is the "Hungry Hound," and it is well deserved.

...Very respectful of all the old bank players from Chicago. ... All the reasons why it was my pleasure to take him under my wing and shoot his game up a few notches.

Beard

Beard
Chicago style bank pool, with someone who can also make a ball and bets high, is apparently a very scary proposition.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Jet's backer, Ed Gobbo, was negotiating with Tony Banks Coleman re a game for Jet at Red Shoes this week. Tony suggested various scenarios, Jet vs Jason Kirkwood, Jet vs Shannon Murphy, and Jet vs Brumback with a slight spot. All those games apparently fell through, through no fault of Eddie Gobbo or Tony Banks. Tony' "stable" was reluctant to participate. Jet is fired up and anxious to play anybody. especially with a solid backer like Eddie.
Man, Jet is not bothering to mess around with the "B" players, is he?! I wasn't at the DCC to see him play this year. How would you say he compares with Brian Gregg, for example? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Jet is a thoroughbred

Jet is a thoroughbred

gulfportdoc said:
Man, Jet is not bothering to mess around with the "B" players, is he?! I wasn't at the DCC to see him play this year. How would you say he compares with Brian Gregg, for example? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

Doc

For thirty a game I think they can all rob Jet. Hundred a game it gets close. Short races for thousands it gets very hairy. Brian Gregg is a fine banker, but doesnt have much experience betting high. I think Brumback is in the same boat. These players not wanting to play with the lunatic Tony Banks Coleman as the backer is unforgiveable. Tony himself, has had no problem betting thousands on his own banking ass when he was playing.

Beard

#Cruncher

Verified Member
R u Kidding?

R u Kidding?

Mr. Beard,

I respect what you have done for the game and believe you have a valid opinion about people's speed back in the day.

But, to imply that BG will tighten up a little playing Jet Banks for 100/game is laughable. I'm not saying he is a big highroller, but I'm sure he would be very comfortable playing Jet for a couple hundred a game.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thousands not hundreds

Thousands not hundreds

#Cruncher said:
Mr. Beard,

I respect what you have done for the game and believe you have a valid opinion about people's speed back in the day.

But, to imply that BG will tighten up a little playing Jet Banks for 100/game is laughable. I'm not saying he is a big highroller, but I'm sure he would be very comfortable playing Jet for a couple hundred a game.

The reality is that there is an open invitation for Brian to get his booty up here and get it on --even -- for thousands. Eddie Gobbo aint gonna let Brian play Jet for 100 or 2 a game. Rumor has it that BG's backers are the ones who are not comfortable, ie., Big Arm John and others.

Indianapolis is only 186 miles away from Red Shoes.

When I hung out at the Rack in Detroit in the 80s, in order to get a table and play for $200 a game you had to play in the mornings or early afternoon. That's what Romberg and I used to do in the afternoons. At night Romberg would be playing Weenie Beanie for 10 and 20 thousand.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
When I hung out at the Rack in Detroit in the 80s, in order to get a table and play for $200 a game you had to play in the mornings or early afternoon. That's what Romberg and I used to do in the afternoons. At night Romberg would be playing Weenie Beanie for 10 and 20 thousand.

Beard

When you hung out at the Rack, Pikes Peak was a pimple, Moby Dick was a minnow and SJD was delivering mail:D .

Cowboy "troublemaker" Dennis

Cowboy Dennis said:
When you hung out at the Rack, Pikes Peak was a pimple, Moby Dick was a minnow and SJD was delivering mail:D .

Cowboy "troublemaker" Dennis

LOL. That was a good one, Dennis.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
For thirty a game I think they can all rob Jet. Hundred a game it gets close. Short races for thousands it gets very hairy. Brian Gregg is a fine banker, but doesnt have much experience betting high. I think Brumback is in the same boat. These players not wanting to play with the lunatic Tony Banks Coleman as the backer is unforgiveable. Tony himself, has had no problem betting thousands on his own banking ass when he was playing.

I was just responding to your posting that there would be a difference in the two playing 30/game and 100/game. I doubt that as both players would consider that semi-friendly stakes.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
30 to 100

30 to 100

#Cruncher said:
I was just responding to your posting that there would be a difference in the two playing 30/game and 100/game. I doubt that as both players would consider that semi-friendly stakes.

30 a game between good players is a ha ha bet. 100 a game is approaching seriousness.

Beard