lll

Verified Member
i would consider kicking at the 1 ball
pick your path
mitch 3c kick.jpg

mitch 3c kick 2.jpg

OneRock

Verified Member
Mitch, congrats on making this shot. I heard about it, and I wish I was there to witness it first hand.

Attachments

bstroud

Verified Member
Ok playing the same guy for the same good stakes. (150 a game). Your pocket the one Across from the balls. You had a 7-2 lead and he is working his way back and now has you in a bad spot. The 4 goes to your hole if you want to go off the air. WWYD??

Looks to me from pic 3 that I could go to the side rail with low right and speed to bend the cue ball into the one ball and stop the cue ball right there or draw it to the side rail.

In any event I would not move the cluster.

Bill Stroud

wincardona

Verified Member
There is a pretty natural shot here that will move two balls toward your hole and allow you to focus on the CB not leaving a good shot for him.

Hit the 4 ball on the left side into the right side of the 6 ball, sending both those balls toward your hole. Focus on playing the CB two rails back up into the same area it currently resides leaving the opponent doubled up on the 9 ball and the 1 ball.

You are playing the CB.:D, and you have over half of the table anywhere behind the kitchen stringline to accomplish the leave.
Ditto, I like this shot best moving balls and most importantly playing a good cue ball. Watch out for the scratch two rails in the corner, this can be remedied two ways either by playing your cue ball with a half tip of inside and going long to the diamond before the pocket or extreme outside English which should send you two rails to the first diamond on your side rail then float to the bottom rail around the first diamond.

I don't like taking an intentional leaving the cue ball frozen to the bottom rail near the first diamond, especially if you're playing a good ball striker.

Dr. Bill

darmoose

Verified Member
Ditto, I like this shot best moving balls and most importantly playing a good cue ball. Watch out for the scratch two rails in the corner, this can be remedied two ways either by playing your cue ball with a half tip of inside and going long to the diamond before the pocket or extreme outside English which should send you two rails to the first diamond on your side rail then float to the bottom rail around the first diamond.

I don't like taking an intentional leaving the cue ball frozen to the bottom rail near the first diamond, especially if you're playing a good ball striker.

Dr. Bill
Thank you Dr Bill for the comment, and I think you are exactimundo in your advice to avoid the potential scratch. We gotta take care of whitey.

But, to be clear for those having difficulty determining their hole or whose shot it is and such, isn't the short rail up by the kitchen known as the "head" or "top" rail, and the short rail below the rack at the end of the table where the ball rack is located known as the "foot" or "bottom" rail?

Forgive me for bringing this up, but I see these confusing references too often (not by you) and think it would help for all of us to use the same references. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, so I know the proper reference.

:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

There is one of those one pocket book shots in here, kiss bank the 4 and send the 6 two rails to your hole and draw the cueball. How many times to you get a chance to win a game with 9 balls :heh

Great call and I didn’t see that.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

There is a pretty natural shot here that will move two balls toward your hole and allow you to focus on the CB not leaving a good shot for him.

Hit the 4 ball on the left side into the right side of the 6 ball, sending both those balls toward your hole. Focus on playing the CB two rails back up into the same area it currently resides leaving the opponent doubled up on the 9 ball and the 1 ball.

You are playing the CB.:D, and you have over half of the table anywhere behind the kitchen stringline to accomplish the leave.

Excellent call also.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

I'm taking an intentional here by freezing the CB on the head rail by the first diamond on his side of the table. I'd like to see how he deals with the spotted ball without leaving me a cross bank.

I considered taking an intentional and decided against it for a couple of reasons. This guy is an excellent ball striker and would cut the spot shot from anywhere. Even if he missed it I’m now uptable on the same side with yet another threat by his hole and I’m now off the hill.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

Well nobody selected my shot so here goes... Cliff was closest actually. I like those very thin cut shots for some reason so I studied the cut on the 4 directly into my hole. It appeared to me that the cue would travel to the long rail and then “Tickie” the 9 and bring the cue under or into the bottom of the 1 ball hopefully leaving him safe if it doesn’t go. I also hit it very softly to leave the ball right by my hole and hopefully not sell out a bank if missed. Well I got very fortunate and actually made the shot. I was as surprised as anyone. The cue ball reacted almost as I imagined and did run into the back of the 9 and left him with no shot on the 1 ball. This is how it ended up.

androd

Verified Member
Good Eye, I'd a mashed the 4ball and tried to move'em all. :frus

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well nobody selected my shot so here goes... Cliff was closest actually. I like those very thin cut shots for some reason so I studied the cut on the 4 directly into my hole. It appeared to me that the cue would travel to the long rail and then “Tickie” the 9 and bring the cue under or into the bottom of the 1 ball hopefully leaving him safe if it doesn’t go. I also hit it very softly to leave the ball right by my hole and hopefully not sell out a bank if missed. Well I got very fortunate and actually made the shot. I was as surprised as anyone. The cue ball reacted almost as I imagined and did run into the back of the 9 and left him with no shot on the 1 ball. This is how it ended up.
Ha! Good shot, bro. I didn't see the shot because I assumed the 4 was too close to the 6, even though your first picture showed that it wasn't..:rolleyes:

Sometimes we look for tricky shots while missing the obvious!

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
Nice shot Mitch
I didn’t think the tickle would work out that way

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

Ha! Good shot, bro. I didn't see the shot because I assumed the 4 was too close to the 6, even though your first picture showed that it wasn't..:rolleyes:

Sometimes we look for tricky shots while missing the obvious!

~Doc

Thanks Doc. I stated it in the original post Doc to clarify because it was hard to tell.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You straight shooter you!!!

Nice shot bro, sorry I'm late to the party but if it were me I would have either cut the 4 also OR if I was't feeling it, I like kicking off his long rail to the foot rail and kicking away the 1 and/or 9. If I hit the 1 funny and sell out the 9 I'm in trouble though....

tough spot and it only goes to prove the wise old saying

"..sometimes f the safety is harder than the shot, just shoot the shot!..."

Scrzbill

Verified Member
What a shot! It’s shots like this that made me quit you. No matter how tough I would leave you, you would do something like you did. Mitch “the beast” does it again.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Another action Wwyd

What a shot! It’s shots like this that made me quit you. No matter how tough I would leave you, you would do something like you did. Mitch “the beast” does it again.

Thanks Bill, but stop teasing me with that “Quit me” malarky!! Heh

beatle

Verified Member
dont give your shot so quickly. mine was close to that, to just thin the 4 and go down and if you hit it too thick then you hit the rail kiss off the nine a little and leave no shots. yours came out better.