Anyone Ever Play the 9-Ball Bank Ghost?

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Play it like a regular 9-Ball bank game, and misses count as a point for the Ghost. A miss on the break does not count. Start at 5 misses and see if you can beat it, then play it 5-4, and so on. Races to 3 or 5. If you can beat it with 5 balls to 3 misses, you are are playin' pretty darn sporty.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
New 2 You Qs said:
Play it like a regular 9-Ball bank game, and misses count as a point for the Ghost. A miss on the break does not count. Start at 5 misses and see if you can beat it, then play it 5-4, and so on. Races to 3 or 5. If you can beat it with 5 balls to 3 misses, you are are playin' pretty darn sporty.
So basically you have to make a little better than 50%

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
NH Steve said:
So basically you have to make a little better than 50%

You are correct at 5 balls to 5 misses. Not quite as easy as it sounds based on how the balls lie after the break. If there are balls blocking some pockets, even 5 to 5 can be challenging.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Well, I gave it a try yesterday.. was hitting wide a lot and that drove me crazy, but overall I managed to squeak by the ghost about 50/50.. some decent runs, some just managing to get across the finish line.. finally started shooting better after I just focused on having fun banking and not thinking about the misses and all.

Now I'm looking forward to league tonight so I can shoot some good ole straight shots! Maybe I'll post so I can keep Dennis up to date. :D

mojoe

Jamie is right.. This is a tougher exercise than it sounds.. The banks ghost usually wears me out!

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Went out for a bit and shot around some, kept score of my bank games.. and whether I like it or not, this is what I ended up with:
1-5
5-1
3-5
4-5
5-3
5-4
2-5
3-5
5-2
5-4
5-3
4-5
3-5
5-2

Found the best thing was to just attack the break, get as many as possible off of the table and out of the way and hopefully have the rest spread out. Still just a hack, but trying to focus more on playing racks of bank, fine-tune some shots and figure out the best spin combinations for different shots.. (felt I should post some numbers so that you can see I'm no hot-shot - yet!) Not sure how the break spread is on a big table, tho.. may be able to use a better finesse break and have more options with the additional room? One of the frustrating things is to miss a bank and have it block the next shot.. Oh, and using a bit of the holding english on the cross-corners, without draw when possible, was working well tonight.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Just got back from playing around some more.. did a little better this time. Took more time to look at the shots and to take more factors into consideration without as much guessing.

4-5
5-3
5-0 :eek: :D
5-3
5-3
5-2
5-3
5-1
2-5
2-5
1-5 :confused:
5-2
5-2
2-5

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I think my temperament may limit me to a very short race against the ghost. At which time I'll woof at him and offer to double the bet playing his brother, the 9-ball Ghost.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
New 2 You Qs said:
I played him 3 games today. Lost 3-5,3-5,won 5-2.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
blackeee said:
I played him 3 games today. Lost 3-5,3-5,won 5-2.

Thank you for posting, Blackeee.

Sorry if I'm a little annoying with my posting, but I don't really get to play this game with anybody out this way, so I'm hoping more people post some results so I can have something to measure my game with. I'd hate to go around thinking I'm doing okay when in the end I'm nothing more than a hack with a random idea of what he's doing. :eek:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Banks said:
Thank you for posting, Blackeee.

Sorry if I'm a little annoying with my posting, but I don't really get to play this game with anybody out this way, so I'm hoping more people post some results so I can have something to measure my game with. I'd hate to go around thinking I'm doing okay when in the end I'm nothing more than a hack with a random idea of what he's doing. :eek:

Looks like you got some game.