Baby Huey's OP Shot!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
So this shot is a kick. The two balls need to be frozen or nearly frozen. The shot requires high spin and low speed. You have to thin the ball struck, in this case with right side spin. As both the cue ball and the object ball contact the cushion, the cue ball kicks the object ball into the pocket. You have to practice it to gain confidence and lastly you have to recognize it when it comes up. It might not come up in a hundred games. These shots are fun to make and take time to master.
I had no luck with this shot. Oh well.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I have had a little longer time to review the video, and I think I got it figure out, and one guy on here has made it but keep silent. Larry, I think Baby Huey wants members to put it to the table, and not just say how it is made, fi they know! So I am keeping silent as to how I think it is made. Of course I'll be trying it. I'll b surprised if I am wrong.
So tell me this, if you were presented with this shot, then could you figure it out. Well, I just have to wonder what background Efren had in figuring this out and then executing. I have to further wonder if Baby Huey then afterwards talked to him about it. Efren might not give up that info. Whitey
That's what amazes me. We all have a few shots in our arsenals that we might remember if they actually came up in a game. But a shot like this could possibly never come up in most player's entire careers...:cautious:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
My squeeze bank, is very similar, and for those that do not know it, then go to the bank forum. But the squeeze bank came up in the Tony vs. Busty match off of the head rail, but the shooter did not recognize it, nor probably even knew the shot was available. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
So this shot is a kick. The two balls need to be frozen or nearly frozen. The shot requires high spin and low speed. You have to thin the ball struck, in this case with right side spin. As both the cue ball and the object ball contact the cushion, the cue ball kicks the object ball into the pocket. You have to practice it to gain confidence and lastly you have to recognize it when it comes up. It might not come up in a hundred games. These shots are fun to make and take time to master.
That is the way I had it figured. The 2 ball freezes the 12 in place and then the cb comes off the rail and kicks it in. Correct! thanks again baby Huey.

We need to thank my daughter Andrea for this one also, for I could not figure out how to get it posted, but beings it was father's day, I seen her and she got me there! Whitey

Seb Pauchon

From
Vevey - Switzerland
Here another view: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FP30dHaCCtmAAUsKXLNPjpV0q-Gmcy0t/view?usp=sharing

In this example, I used a very thin hit, lots of (in this case right) spin, no particular need for the jump Ralph mentions, just a regular stroke and medium speed...
The cueball goes 14, rail, and 14 again as the 3 is already travelling.
The beauty is, the two hits on the 14 are so close to each other you almost here only one, which adds to the puzzling element.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
jerry thank you for showing the shot and the video
thanks to all who made a video or provided links
i need to practice it more
having trouble making it

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Could someone explain how that shot works please?
nice shot.....(y)
The 12 couldn't possibly move that far without a double hit from the cue ball...

That's all I know.

pj
chgo

P.S. I see that others have already explained that...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey's squeeze bank. I did not think Baby Huey would mind if I included this, for it is a similar mystical shot. For the thread go bank forum pg. 4

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nzuCm8L6Z5CnAsAk8 the object ball is aim going away from the pocket but yet it still comes back. The balls are frozen to each other. Sorry for my voice this was an early video attempt by my daughter and my voice is in slow motion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19GPrsqlSSmCkBIHgUNRTdgbenoeBKBtu/view?usp=drivesdk this is Steve's alternative with the balls perpendicular to each other off the 2nd diamond.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-2DiGeM0OKdzK0xI1ej52kTAJ_gdtNP/view?usp=drivesdk If you want to figure out how the balls react on your own then do not watch this slow motion video.
enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
After 60 plus years of watching and playing pool I have come to the conclusion that there is always a shot! Some of them are mighty low %, but I have seen thousands of shots everyone said will not go, and then they do.
How about the shot off the side pocket point Efren plays .
I remember seeing that shot sometime around 1970 , it probably came up in my games 100 times but I never thought of it ,let alone think I could make it. When I saw him do it in that match I went to the table and just started experimenting with hi and lo first , then I gradually moved my aiming point into the pocket and voila I discovered how to make it a high % of the time from a similar position to where he shot from.
Then I started moving my cueball and found that it is a very controllable shot from above, parallel, and even below the pocket, All the aims are similar , you just have to get over thinking the cueball will scratch and knock them in.
I found that some tables you can also do the shot into the corner point, and kick a ball next to the pocket, across the table and in yours, but it depends how the pocket is cut. I would shoot the shot off the side point in some games , the corner one I would not.

Seb Pauchon

From
Vevey - Switzerland
So it looks like the second ball (closest to the hole) can be located in a variety of positions. The important thing is the thin cut/kick. Correct?
I'd say yes, correct.
I haven't tried it, but you can most probably tweak the shot quite some bit by adjusting thickness of the cut and amount of spin.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am curious as to why Eckert is obviously making the cb jump. His cb jumps quite high. This means he is actually coming down and landing on the edge of the object ball.
Is he doing it because the ob is farther off of the rail, possibly. Whitey

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I am curious as to why Eckert is obviously making the cb jump. His cb jumps quite high. This means he is actually coming down and landing on the edge of the object ball.
Is he doing it because the ob is farther off of the rail, possibly. Whitey
It gives you a thinner hit on the OB, not sure if that's why.