Baby Huey's OP Shot!

baby huey

Verified Member
Rod, Eckerts shot is a little different than mine. Mine is more finesse and side spin and his kind of jabs at the object ball. That's what I'm seeing anyway and maybe I'm not seeing it correctly? His shot may have more applications and variations to choose from?

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Rod, Eckerts shot is a little different than mine. Mine is more finesse and side spin and his kind of jabs at the object ball. That's what I'm seeing anyway and maybe I'm not seeing it correctly? His shot may have more applications and variations to choose from?
I don't think Eckert's position requires anything other than a normal, flat stroke. It has to be short for his shot so maybe that's why he was elevating. The ball the cue ball strikes needs to be pushed a little towards the cushion where the cue ball can redirect it. I think if the struck ball doesn't move, the cue ball will usually send it away from the cushion.

Here are some other "funny little shots" that are shown for 9/10 ball but work more often at 1P.
The last one is what I thought Whitey's "squeeze bank" was going to be, but his is one I hadn't seen before.

And here is another compression shot. You can make a combination here by shooting straight at the first ball. The balls can be about a chalk apart depending on how soft the cushions are. It looks impossible on the table and could probably win a proposition bet. ;)
CropperCapture[550].png

ppanzera

From
Los Angeles, CA
Gorgeous shot! I think of this as a time shot. The easiest way I found to replicate it was to first aim to hit the ball and rail simultaneously, and then just pivot very slightly to the right, just a few degrees. Thus you are hitting the ball just a split second before whitey hits the rail. Now that the blocking ball is gone, right spin allows the cue ball to catch up and kick the first object ball into the shot. Would NOT want to shoot this for the rent, but it can still be used offensively, to nudge the ball in front of your pocket even if you don't make it. Thanks, Jerry!

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Gorgeous shot! I think of this as a time shot. The easiest way I found to replicate it was to first aim to hit the ball and rail simultaneously, and then just pivot very slightly to the right, just a few degrees. Thus you are hitting the ball just a split second before whitey hits the rail. Now that the blocking ball is gone, right spin allows the cue ball to catch up and kick the first object ball into the shot. Would NOT want to shoot this for the rent, but it can still be used offensively, to nudge the ball in front of your pocket even if you don't make it. Thanks, Jerry!

Congrats on your first post Jerry ! It is very much a timing shot as per Jerry's (baby huey) post #19. I hope you participate in the threads a bit more often now so we won't have to wait another 8 years for your second post ;). Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! Cheers, Terry

ron padilla

Verified Member
Jerry, would please post an overhead look at the set up? That might help me understand this a little better!
Thanks

ron padilla

Verified Member
I went up to my table and set up the shot to what I think is correct and made it once out of about 20 tries and as I watched the balls roll what it made it seem like is a throw shot the way the English makes the first ball twist and roll into the pocket!? Now if I could only do it again!

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I remember that from Billiard Digest...but could not make it.
You have to hit the object ball so it's going to be pushed towards the cushion a little. The cue ball comes off the cushion with heavy inside (running) side spin and hits the object ball a second time and partly redirects it. There is a wide range of angles of the two object balls and distance from the cushion that can be made to work. You have to observe the line the object ball takes after the second hit and adjust accordingly. Here are several setups shown in Virtual Pool. VP has the huge advantage in this situation that it shows you the future paths of the balls as you change your aim and spin so you can very quickly find the angle to shoot.

CropperCapture[563].pngCropperCapture[564].pngCropperCapture[565].pngCropperCapture[566].png

The last one shown has the object ball about a ball and a half off the cushion. It shows the redirection best.

Edit: Here is the last shot on YouTube in slow motion so you can see all the action:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for the video bob
with the cue ball alittle farther from the rail its easier to se the action of the balls for me.

unoperro

Verified Member
I think Ekert hits his shot with the little jump for more deflection to make for a thinner hit on the dbl kiss.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I was gambling with Roberto Gomez at Chris Billiards and he showed me this shot after our session. I hadn't seen it before.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I think Eckert hits his shot with the little jump for more deflection to make for a thinner hit on the dbl kiss.
Maybe there are some positions where you have to do some strange stroke, but I don't think the shot in the video that Eckert did requires anything but the right fullness of hit and the right spin. I think it could be made, perhaps more consistently, with a level stroke.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I finally got the hang of that shot. The key is the thin hit on the OB-- and of course with maximum inside. I got to where I could make it frequently from various positions. Don't know if I'd try it in an important game. I think it would depend upon where the other balls laid, in case the shot were missed.

baby huey

Verified Member
Doc, keep that shot in your remote memory. It will come up and when it does you'll be GOLD.

ron padilla

Verified Member
thanks again! and after shooting it several more times, I was wondering if a double kiss was involved as it was pushing the object ball to the pocket!

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
thanks again! and after shooting it several more times, I was wondering if a double kiss was involved as it was pushing the object ball to the pocket!
Yes, it's a double kiss. That's the only way it can work. See the video in post 48. It's farther from the rail so the action is clearer, but it's the same shot.