Bank Pool ring game DCC

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
There were 6 players that paid their 1,000 bucks to enter the DCC ring game, Diamond billiard products added another 3,000 bucks. Total prize money 9 grand with 6 grand first place and 3 grand for second.

John Morra, Brandon Shuffett, Justin Hall, Shannon Dalton, Skyler Woodward,
Francisco Bustamante.
Skyler came out with a 6 pack the first game, later he had almost all the chips, Busty was down to one barrell, i think the bet was 400 a ball at that time. Busty ran the last rack out making several balls including a 4 railer. Now Busty and Skyler were close to even in chips, Busty asks Sky to split 1st. and 2nd. Since Busty was breaking, and has a strong break in 9 ball, and was playing super good, they agreed to split the purse. They went ahead and finished the match. One long time champion Chicago player was quoted as saying that was the best bank pool i have ever seen played.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Congrats on the $4500! That was a great win for a young phenom! He's going to be around for a long time.

I'm surprised Brumback didn't play. Surely he could've gotten a backer if necessary. Perhaps the field was full before he tried to sign up.

Doc

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
One other good thing was I thought so many of them all played well.

Scott Frost said when he won it he just shot each shot like a one pocket shot, and he had no chance to win it against these guys as so many of them banked too good.

I would love for Freddy to go in details with his thoughts.

Ken

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Scott Frost said when he won it he just shot each shot like a one pocket shot, and he had no chance to win it against these guys as so many of them banked too good.

Ken

I am 2 weeks behind in everything and I just picked up a new 8 week old Dachie female puppy. Many need to attend to. I will comment on that spectacular event once I settle in.

Bear

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
There were 6 players that paid their 1,000 bucks to enter the DCC ring game, Diamond billiard products added another 3,000 bucks. Total prize money 9 grand with 6 grand first place and 3 grand for second.

Francisco Bustamante.
My horse Skyler came out with a 6 pack the first game, later he had almost all the chips, Busty was down to one barrell, i think the bet was 400 a ball at that time. Busty ran the last rack out making several balls including a 4 railer. Now Busty and Skyler were close to even in chips, Busty asks Sky to split 1st. and 2nd. Since Busty was breaking, and has the best break in 9 ball, and was playing super good, we agreed to split the purse. They went ahead and finished the match, the kid was unbeatable the last rack. One long time champion Chicago player was quoted as saying that was the best bank pool i have ever seen played. He said he thought i was crazy posting up with the young gun going up against the champions, but now he understood why.
This kid is an amazing bank pool player, can't believe i beat him at DCC last year, we've been friends ever since. Big Jim

i'M DEFINITELY going to order the dvd.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Ken

All in all, the whole field banked strong. Jason Hall and John Morra, just didnt get many good chances to bank balls. Shannon opened up his first shot with a strong 4 and no further shot for #5. His first time at the table Skylar cleaned the table with a 6 and out.

I had never watched Busty play banks before. I was utterly amazed at his shooting ability. Of course he doesnt play the game to my satisfaction, but he makes everything he shoots at. He has a little trouble with off-speed off-angle shots, but everything he can hit full he powers into the pocket.

I predicted Busty would intimidate the kid Skylar when they went head to head, based on seasoning. I figured Busty would put a barrage on the kid and the kid would slow up a bit. Not so. The kid fired back with even stronger barrages. They both made the pockets seem like bushel baskets, but we all know they are 4 1/2 inches. He often passed on the shots that I would have gone for, but he made what he shot at, so 'sup wit dat?

My shot selection is usually based on nearness to the object ball, nearness to the cushion, fullness of the hit, and the shortest distance that the object ball will travel, and finally, cross-side with the bigger pockets over cross-corner.

As I said before, it was the greatest offensive barrage by two players that I had ever seen. I say that in the vein that they shot and made more long shots than I have ever seen. I have seen similar barrages, but those were by players, myself included, that played better position and banked balls in big groups; but due to strong position play the 5's, 6's, 7's and 8's were mostly easy or medium difficulty shots. With the amount and consistency of long hard banks that Busty and Skylar made, I might have had runs in the 20's.

Beard

I broadcast the Ring Game Scott Frost won, and yes he was correct when he said he wouldnt have won against these guys. Scott played solid to win his. These guys played spectacular.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
All in all, the whole field banked strong. Jason Hall and John Morra, just didnt get many good chances to bank balls. Shannon opened up his first shot with a strong 4 and no further shot for #5. His first time at the table Skylar cleaned the table with a 6 and out.

I had never watched Busty play banks before. I was utterly amazed at his shooting ability. Of course he doesnt play the game to my satisfaction, but he makes everything he shoots at. He has a little trouble with off-speed off-angle shots, but everything he can hit full he powers into the pocket.

I predicted Busty would intimidate the kid Skylar when they went head to head, based on seasoning. I figured Busty would put a barrage on the kid and the kid would slow up a bit. Not so. The kid fired back with even stronger barrages. They both made the pockets seem like bushel baskets, but we all know they are 4 1/2 inches. He often passed on the shots that I would have gone for, but he made what he shot at, so 'sup wit dat?

My shot selection is usually based on nearness to the object ball, nearness to the cushion, fullness of the hit, and the shortest distance that the object ball will travel, and finally, cross-side with the bigger pockets over cross-corner.

As I said before, it was the greatest offensive barrage by two players that I had ever seen. I say that in the vein that they shot and made more long shots than I have ever seen. I have seen similar barrages, but those were by players, myself included, that played better position and banked balls in big groups; but due to strong position play the 5's, 6's, 7's and 8's were mostly easy or medium difficulty shots. With the amount and consistency of long hard banks that Busty and Skylar made, I might have had runs in the 20's.

Beard

I broadcast the Ring Game Scott Frost won, and yes he was correct when he said he wouldnt have won against these guys. Scott played solid to win his. These guys played spectacular.

What do you think would happened if they played full rack banks?

Secondly, it seems that short rack banks is the standard, evenmore, I cant remember seeing the last time full rack banks was played. Is full rack banks dead?

I have seen it played in ring bank games in Paducah Kentucky, but never one on one. At that poolroom they mentioned that Tony Fargo was a much better player at full rack verses short racks.

I dont know enough about banks, but I am honestly trying to learn.

Ken

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
IMO they could certainly go to 11 ball racks for bank pool. The 9 ball racks go quickly-- faster than races to 3 1P. I'm sure they believe that full rack races to 3 would take too long. Whether that's the case or not, I couldn't say.

Doc

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
IMO they could certainly go to 11 ball racks for bank pool. The 9 ball racks go quickly-- faster than races to 3 1P. I'm sure they believe that full rack races to 3 would take too long. Whether that's the case or not, I couldn't say.

Doc

My opinion is ten balls gave enough room and enough traffic to force difficult bank attempts in a ring game of high power bank players.

11-ball banks has just enough clusters to almost require early moving. That's great for the action room, but might be no good for a spectator-driven ring game when total offense is desired to keep the crowd thrilled.

Freddie <~~~ still in awe

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What do you think would happened if they played full rack banks?

Secondly, it seems that short rack banks is the standard, evenmore, I cant remember seeing the last time full rack banks was played. Is full rack banks dead?

I have seen it played in ring bank games in Paducah Kentucky, but never one on one. At that poolroom they mentioned that Tony Fargo was a much better player at full rack verses short racks.

I dont know enough about banks, but I am honestly trying to learn.

Ken

Full rack Ring Banks is a stiff. Tony Fargo played championship full-rack. He managed much better than most of the KY-Tenn players and many of the Cincinnati players. Chicago players have always managed well. Tony, in his and my prime, tried me on the Bensinger 5 x 10's and didnt like it. However, he was one of the top 3 bankers for many years.

Beard

Eleven ball banks is my invention and it is getting a lot of play. I shoulda somehow copyrighted the darn thing.

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If I'm not mistaken, the first Bank Ring Game at the DCC was full rack. It was painfully boring... a ring game needs to be wide open since the object is to fire away and not play safe. There were balls tied up constantly so the players had no banks to shoot at when they were up to the table. I remember the crowd growing very restless and most left. They then switched it to 9 ball banks and now have moved to 10 ball banks.

Truman has had a few race to 23 full rack tournaments in recent years, and Brian Gregg had one in Indy a couple years ago. Seems that is the format at the Red Shoes tournament as well.

I really like the race to 23 full rack format for one on one match ups, but it can certainly slow down a tournament in a hurry. I believe Truman's tourneys at Bank Shots is now a handicapped race to 19 using a nine ball rack.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Full rack Ring Banks is a stiff. Tony Fargo played championship full-rack. He managed much better than most of the KY-Tenn players and many of the Cincinnati players. Chicago players have always managed well. Tony, in his and my prime, tried me on the Bensinger 5 x 10's and didnt like it. However, he was one of the top 3 bankers for many years.

Beard

Eleven ball banks is my invention and it is getting a lot of play. I shoulda somehow copyrighted the darn thing.
Yes Fred, you should definitely patent the game variation. You might even deserve, say, a penny for each rack played. At the end of the year you'd probably get a check for 87 cents...:D

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yes Fred, you should definitely patent the game variation. You might even deserve, say, a penny for each rack played. At the end of the year you'd probably get a check for 87 cents...:D

Doc
That's pretty funny Art, however, there's always next year. I'm not quite sure that it's Fred's invention. Looks like a patent infringement suit is on the horizon.:sorry:D

Bill Incardona

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Historical note

Historical note

When most of thse games were invented the standard pocket table was, I suspect, 5' x 10' so that there was ample space for fifteen balls. For the sake of area comparison, play some onehole on a 4' x 8' big ball bar box (if you can find one).

Thinking of table size ..... I recall seeing a 3 1/2 x 7 table at Able's Billiard Supply in Stockton in the early 80's .... he had picked it up in San Francisco it was said ..... it dated from the late 19th century. Saw another 4x8 in the Foot Hills in the late 80's that had come out of an S.F. hotel ... that one had a 3 piece bed of 2" marble .... same vintage as Abel's.

Anyone knowing Abel, send me a PM.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Francisco Bustamante.
My horse Skyler came out with a 6 pack the first game, later he had almost all the chips, Busty was down to one barrell, i think the bet was 400 a ball at that time. Busty ran the last rack out making several balls including a 4 railer. Now Busty and Skyler were close to even in chips, Busty asks Sky to split 1st. and 2nd. Since Busty was breaking, and has the best break in 9 ball, and was playing super good, we agreed to split the purse. They went ahead and finished the match, the kid was unbeatable the last rack. One long time champion Chicago player was quoted as saying that was the best bank pool i have ever seen played. He said he thought i was crazy posting up with the young gun going up against the champions, but now he understood why.
This kid is an amazing bank pool player, can't believe i beat him at DCC last year, we've been friends ever since. Big Jim

They were playing 10 ball Banks were they not? What does Busty's 9-Ball break have to do with it?

I noticed that Woodward's Mother was there to witness his play in Tunica and I heard that she was there for the DCC. I'm sure she's very proud of her little budding businessman.

Do you even understand how he & Bustamante cheated the fans, AccuStats, live audience, future DVD audience, commentators, and anyone else concerned?

His being "unbeatable the last rack" means nothing since the monies were already whacked up. It was simply an exhibition after that point.

After Busty & Skyler agreed to whack-up the 1st & 2nd place money nothing that happened in the game meant anything so why brag on it?

The AccuStats commentators were commenting on a match they didn't know was "fixed". If they saw greatness it was only an imaginary greatness.

The match was fixed and you are so proud of it. Good for you.

Dennis

backplaying

Verified Member

Beard

Even though I was mainly a barbox player and back when I played for a living more tournaments in the south were on barboxes and more gambling also, but I also played in some big table events and played more on the big table starting around the mid 80's and I don't remember anyone wanting to play Fargo or Brumback any bank pool during the 70's through the 80's.

backplaying

Verified Member
They were playing 10 ball Banks were they not? What does Busty's 9-Ball break have to do with it?

I noticed that Woodward's Mother was there to witness his play in Tunica and I heard that she was there for the DCC. I'm sure she's very proud of her little budding businessman.

Do you even understand how he & Bustamante cheated the fans, AccuStats, live audience, future DVD audience, commentators, and anyone else concerned?

His being "unbeatable the last rack" means nothing since the monies were already whacked up. It was simply an exhibition after that point.

After Busty & Skyler agreed to whack-up the 1st & 2nd place money nothing that happened in the game meant anything so why brag on it?

The AccuStats commentators were commenting on a match they didn't know was "fixed". If they saw greatness it was only an imaginary greatness.

The match was fixed and you are so proud of it. Good for you.

Dennis

I sure don't see it as cheating, but it does take all the pressure off both players and usually both will play their best. I'm sure they were both trying just as hard to win though.