Banking with the Beard review

Gerald

Verified Member
If "Little Al" endorses it that strongly I'm going to order it! I see "Little Al" frequently at Hard Times and he is a man of few words and is as knowledgeable as anyone. I watched him and Grady play a few months ago and each one of them explained what shot they were shooting and why they were shooting that particular shot. That was really an education for a newbie like me to hear how much further and deeper their thinking went.

davAmundo

Verified Member
Errata or some similar such thing...

Errata or some similar such thing...

fred bentivegna said:
You are very observant. The error has been addressed and will be in the correct form in the next editions. If you are looking that closely you must be getting some value out of the book.
the Beard

Mr. Bentivegna,

I bought an autographed copy of your book at Cue-N-You Billiards (I think Tom Kerebotsos is part owner) in Waukegan and have been digesting it slowly.

Any chance of a post listing any mistakes that you or other people have noticed so far? I would love to either pen and ink the changes, or have a list of them to go off of when I am trying to learn the science that is your book.

DavAmundo

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
They dont really amount to anything

They dont really amount to anything

davAmundo said:
Mr. Bentivegna,

I bought an autographed copy of your book at Cue-N-You Billiards (I think Tom Kerebotsos is part owner) in Waukegan and have been digesting it slowly.

Any chance of a post listing any mistakes that you or other people have noticed so far? I would love to either pen and ink the changes, or have a list of them to go off of when I am trying to learn the science that is your book.

DavAmundo

The errors we found are minute and dont really affect the charts or diagrams. ie. The numbers on the rails on p. 59 ran 1.6, 2.6 and 3.3 instead of 3.3, 2.6 and 1.6. It was no big deal. The rest of the science in intact and you can study it with confidence.
the Beard

FoxyCoxy

Verified Member
From
Seneca, SC
Thanks Freddie. you are a banking genius

Thanks Freddie. you are a banking genius

Freddie , I have struggled with consistent banking for many moons (been playing for 45 years) I`ve learned more in one month by studying your book than I had accumulated in those previous years. I play 9ball mostly and I am now confidently shooting and making banks that I would have (in the past) played safe on. And its just the beginning. For example I had heard of a straight back but didn`t know how to execute. Now its like falling off a log. Thanks for the great book
a.k.a Seneca Steve

Last edited:

Samiel

Verified Member
I got the book for my birthday, but I've yet to thoroughly go through it. Obviously there's a lot of information in it to digest. Reading some tidbits of it have already helped me a bit though!

t-dog

Verified Member
Richard S said:
The book is a STEAL for pool fans.

Thanks Freddie.

Its such a steal, someone stole my copy out of my car. lol Two more are on the way!

elabane

r0ttie1 said:
I just sent my payment via PayPal. Looking forward to reading the book. :)
If you are a student of the game and want to dazzle your friends with more information than they want, you need to buy this book. It definately takes the art of banking to a new level.

roo7227

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas..
Gypped!..

Gypped!..

$33, and not even hardbound?.. Unbelievable.. Plus it's written in bold type!..

I'm sure everybody's gonna say he imparts so much knowledge, but I better learn the answer to the riddle of the sphinx, if I'm gonna pay $33 for a paperback!..

And that's the truth, Ruth..

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Roo just proved an old saying - you can't please everybody. I will pay for good knowledge if it's written on a paper bag.

To quote $Bill, JMO, ICBW, Pel

roo7227

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas..
I'm a Tough Critic, Just So You Know..

I'm a Tough Critic, Just So You Know..

Pelican said:
Roo just proved an old saying - you can't please everybody. I will pay for good knowledge if it's written on a paper bag.

To quote $Bill, JMO, ICBW, Pel
I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge in this tome, and I will be happy to review it's contents, as soon as I finish the book (which will not take long)..

I just think I paid way to much for a book that's gonna fall apart, eventually.. I think I would have been thrilled if it was a hardbound edition.. And I would have had zero problem paying up to $50 for it, considering the Beard's overhead would have been higher..

And as for old sayings, how about this one?.. "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time (SWEET), but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time".. Abraham Lincoln..

Last edited:

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
separation issues

separation issues

Dang Roo, you musta be a harda on da books :eek: . I got paperback manuals that are over 40 years old an ain't fell apart yet. Ya gots ta quit usin' that piece 'o 2X4 fer a bookmark :D

Later, Pel

vin

is there anyone or any pool store in the philippines that sells this book and dvd?

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
All i can say fredrick is...

All i can say fredrick is...

after 25 years of my boring my lovely wife to tears with my long winded tales of my pool playing days, your book arrives and she won't put it down. She's learning a lot of pool parlor lingo, as well: "What are snappers, honey?" I asked her if I could please read it for just one day.
That's how I crawl at my house. Ha!

All BS aside, THE "ENCYCLOPEDIA" OF POOL HUSTLERS is a great and historic tome for the billiards world.
Congrats Freddie. We owe you one.
Keep it nice. Alfie