Best Alltime One Pocket Players

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
Nothing but one pocket.

I am starting to hear cleared and clearer what you are describing Artie. There is no doubt that you know what you are talking about. Just in the last couple of weeks I have progressed further along with my recognition of shot selection. When I make a mistake and let whitey get away I am reminded of what you keep saying. Shoot more conservative safe shots until you are more confident that your shooting ability can sustain a somewhat riskier shot selection. Every time I lose a game it is usually because I let whitey get away without fully weighing the penalty of how many balls it's is going to cost me if I miss. Especially if I'm playing someone who is a better shooter. Thanks for all of the advise. Believe me I will use it. And I'm through with the debate on best ever. I'm going to focus more energy and time on getting better myself.

I hope you, Dick, Freddy and others continue to share your knowledge and expetise as freely as you have been doing these last weeks.

Have a nice day

george
You dont have to apolagize to me as far as I am cocerned you only gave your opinion and I listen to everyones opinion and I belive every one should voice their opinion wether the are wright or wrong or weither we like it or not its better then saying nothing. And I hope you keep playing and learning all the things you need to learn and that goes for everyone. Be the greatest you can be. And maybe we can help to create the greatest one pocket player in life. Because my moey would be on the future player. Because the old and over the hill players cant take it to a higher level anymore. But a young very talanted player can pass us all up if he has the ability and knowledge combined. And I hope such a person comes along. And learns the percentages in one pocket and can play the whole game mistake free and explain exacly what he is doing and WHY. I have given some things to help you with your game and you need to answer the quistions I am asking you yourself. Its ok to ask good player what do I do her but it is more important you learn the lesson then the players who already have the answers. Play hard and play every chance you get. If you want to become a champion and you have the ability. I recomed you eat sleep and think about pool. And if you want it bad enough. Own it. Its all up to the indevidule. And if you dont have the ability of the champion player you can still enjoy the game and learn and understand what you are doing. AND WHY YOU ARE DOING IT. Go ahead and enjoy yourself And the more you learn I promise you you will even enjoy it even more. Because every human being craves for knowledge. And all these players are still playing for the LOVE OF THE GAME. AND IT SHOWES. Be open to learning no mater who it is or how the play. You can learn somthing from everyone. Imagine how great it would be to play a whole game perfect. Their is no greater feeling in life. I have been their and I felte like the whole world was mein. And if you ever get that feeling you will no what I am talking about and how I felt. If you go to the table to practice or play I hope you are playing to learn and wright down what you want to learn. And get the aswers to your quistions. Its a chalange and it is up to you to meet that chalange. I hope everything works out for you and I hope you learn more than the world already knowes. You can do it. Stay positive and keep striving for your goal many people never reach their goal and give up or say it does not matter. But it does matter. You can do whatever you want bad enough. I am trying to incourage you so if that is your goal stay focused tell you reach your goal.

Deeman

Verified Member
Artie,

A lot of us on here really appreciate your participation. It is not often we get to see a little into the thought process of champion caliber players and are very happy with anything you share with us. The same goes for Dick, Grady et al.

We gotta keep this great game alive. I can't believe there are pool player who say, "One pocket, that's boring!"

We will settle for tips, strategy or stories.

DeeMan

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Deeman said:
Artie,

A lot of us on here really appreciate your participation. It is not often we get to see a little into the thought process of champion caliber players and are very happy with anything you share with us. The same goes for Dick, Grady et al.

We gotta keep this great game alive. I can't believe there are pool player who say, "One pocket, that's boring!"

We will settle for tips, strategy or stories.

DeeMan
The reason people think that one pocket is boaring is because the dont understand the game. And why play something the dont understand. One pocket is a control game. Not just a shooting game. Even eight ball is a control game if played correctly. And learning the game and shots and controling the cue ball takes a lot of time and patience. And every champion has gone through tough times and poor shooting. But the over come it and get back to their top game unless father time has slowed them down to much. I love one pocket and I always found it fun and exciting. And people who truly love the game will hold on to it and imbrase it and the dont have to be a champion player. Because it is about the game and not how good you play it. Jerry Hubbart loves one pocket so much he would travel any were in the country to watch a one pocket game. And Bugs was his Hero and champion. And he would have given his right arm to play like Bugs. And these are the people who desirve the credit and the have give their whole life to pool. What more can anyone give then their whole life dedicated to pool. The are the people who keep the spirit of the game alive. And Jerry Hubbart would have flown any were in the world just to watch Bugs and Ronnie Allen play each other. And Thats what I call being loyale to the game.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gbru said:
Thanks for the reply Dick. You are absolutely right. Not only would I have a beer with you but it would be an honor to treat someone of your caliber of one pocket player to a fine meal also. Hopefully I will have that oportunity some day.

In my opinion one pocket transcends politics and religion. Especially in a conversation. BTW, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just frustrated like a lot of other people.

thanks again.........george

George,

I totally agree, one pocket does transcend politics and religion. (well put) I wonder if ALL politicians get as much satisfaction out of "frustrating" us, as we derive out of playing "squeeze" one pocket ? Those sadistic bast##ds. ;)

Tricky Dicky (another name I may have copyright problems with.) :eek:

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I would like to ask you a quistion who would you take in a game the best shooter and best posision player and the player with the best touch or the player that playes without a mistake. I would like to her a lot of responses on this not just one person.

If it was just one game, I would take the shooter/position player because he might be able to play that one game without a mistake, also. His other skills would be better than his oppenent's and that would give him the edge.

In a 6 ahead match, I'd go with the guy who doesn't make mistakes. He won't wear down or lose concentration because in order to do anything without mistakes, not just 1p, you have to have mastered yourself by putting yourself through more unpleasantness than your opponent probably ever could. They say Irving Crane used to practice safes against himself for two hours a day, for example.

And that in my opinion is the key to a perfect performance at anything. It is not just knowledge and skill, but perfect self-mastery. A person who has mastered himself is very difficult to outperform unless you have mastered yourself as well. It is a helluva thing to watch when two guys like that match up at anything. The Ali-Frazier fights come to mind as a non-pool example.

Of course, this is basically the same stuff Artie has already said. I've just been thinking about it is all.

Skin

P.S. Dick is coming up with a lot of clever, entertaining new nicknames for himself, and as much as I would like to try to do the same for myself, I know it would be a disaster. For example, were I a golfer also I might try to play off of that.

"Fore!Skin".

See what I mean?

S

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
If it was just one game, I would take the shooter/position player because he might be able to play that one game without a mistake, also. His other skills would be better than his oppenent's and that would give him the edge.

In a 6 ahead match, I'd go with the guy who doesn't make mistakes. He won't wear down or lose concentration because in order to do anything without mistakes, not just 1p, you have to have mastered yourself by putting yourself through more unpleasantness than your opponent probably ever could. They say Irving Crane used to practice safes against himself for two hours a day, for example.

And that in my opinion is the key to a perfect performance at anything. It is not just knowledge and skill, but perfect self-mastery. A person who has mastered himself is very difficult to outperform unless you have mastered yourself as well. It is a helluva thing to watch when two guys like that match up at anything. The Ali-Frazier fights come to mind as a non-pool example.

Of course, this is basically the same stuff Artie has already said. I've just been thinking about it is all.

Skin

P.S. Dick is coming up with a lot of clever, entertaining new nicknames for himself, and as much as I would like to try to do the same for myself, I know it would be a disaster. For example, were I a golfer also I might try to play off of that.

"Fore!Skin".

See what I mean?

S
I just want to show you how important one mistak is the Cubs are the better team and the favorite and one mistake cost them the whole game and all the runs scored in the inning when the second base man made a error ion a perfect double play ball I no this is not one pocket but it does point out how CRUShELl one mistake is and the same holds true in pool and other sports so thats why I keep stressing on the importance of no mistake pool. And even the best players and best teams can not over come those mistakes. And when I wrote the best shooter and best position player and the best touch player I was comparing him to makeing the mistakes and the other person will win. If he doesnt make any mistakes then it will be no contest. He will win easy. BUt if he makes the mistakes with all the other qualities in his favor he will not win. Playing a player that is close to his ability. If he plays a player that is helpless it doesnt matter what he does he will still win. But the cub game is a perfect exampale what one mistake can do. It can cost you the whole game and that is all that I wanted to point out. So dont make any mistakes and keep improving on your mistakes and make less and less TELL YOU DONT MAKE NO MORE .Let me no when you are playing one pocket without making any mistakes and I will tell you the secret and the correct way to play. But you have to learn the first part first. THe alpabits comes before the woprds and then the words make sentences. But if you can play the whole game without a mistake then you are ready to play correct one pocket.Its not going to be easy but you have to put in the time and work to learn it. OK. And if you learn this it will be a big improvement in your game. I hope you can get their. I am pulling for you. And if you dont make it its OPK because you tried You are a winner not because you didnt m,ake it you are a winner because you tried.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
one pocket best

one pocket best

Thanks for the analogy of the football game and how one mistake can cost the whole game. That is exactly what happens to me 95 % of the time. And thanks for those encouraging words to close the day with Artie. Myself in particular I need a reminder to keep me vigil and alert to the fact that, eventhough I may not become a world champion one pocket player, I know I have the ability to get much better by using some of the points you have alluded to.

I hope a lot of people get to read your posts. You always give good, simple, basic information. That is some of the most important pieces of advise I have heard since becoming familiar with one pocket.

so long for now

george

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
Thanks for the analogy of the football game and how one mistake can cost the whole game. That is exactly what happens to me 95 % of the time. And thanks for those encouraging words to close the day with Artie. Myself in particular I need a reminder to keep me vigil and alert to the fact that, eventhough I may not become a world champion one pocket player, I know I have the ability to get much better by using some of the points you have alluded to.

I hope a lot of people get to read your posts. You always give good, simple, basic information. That is some of the most important pieces of advise I have heard since becoming familiar with one pocket.

so long for now

george
People need to be inspiared and motavated and that is what I try to do to gear you up and get you to want to be great. And if you accomplish that goal I am very happy. Because I no I am over the hill but that doesnt mean that some one else cant be on top of the hill. Because thats what pool is about everyone wants to be the best and strive to be number one. I had a friend of mein call me from Elgin Ill and he remembers me when I was 18 years old at Howared and Paulina and he asked me how straight do I shoot. And he said that I told him I shoot straighter then Lee Harvey Oswald. I guess thats shooting pretty sraight. THat was the year president Kennedy got assasinated and the let us out of school early and we could go home. Another good thing to remember that will help your game is to shoot shots that you can control. If you dont no what to do step back and figure it out before you shoot not after you shoot. And I will also tell you how to eliminate people sharking you and that would not have happened with me. Because I would have controled it and not just let it go on. But thats for another time. So keep learnning and improveing tell you can CONTROL YOUR GAME. ITS ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU DO WHEN ITS YOUR TURN AT THE TABLE. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO YOU ARE PLAYING. IF you play the game corectly and you are playing a player in your class you will win. And that is how you will improve and that should be your GOAL. Keep improveing tell you get to the top.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
I think Shane VanBoening would be a good candidate for the knowledge. :)
You picked a very good player with all the tools of a champion. But it would show up more with a player like Johnny Archer or Cory Duel. Or even some of those oter great shooters. My first pick would have been Buddy Hall because I like everything about his game including his determination. And he is my pick over all the other players. And he has the kind of mind that he would learn it wright away. And he would absorb what I am talking about. And the young players would be great at it to but I realy dont even no them. But I seen them play. Varner would have been perfect because he craved for knowledge his whole live and he has a great attitude and a willingness to learn. I would like to tell you Dick even though I dont realy no you. You are very good with your opinions and you stick with them you dont keep changing like the wind. And thats a sign of a strong person. THe belive and stick with their opinion. People who keep changing their stories and their is lots of dought and credibility in their stories. And their storeies and what the say have a lot of holes in them. You may chalange some ones opinion but you have stayed with your same story. And you also dont over exagerate and make up a story that is not true. You no your bonderes and limits and you dont take agvantage of people who dont no or want to learn and you dont con them or trick them you are basicly above board. And I belive you love to help people. And your love for the game realy showes keep up the good work.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
You picked a very good player with all the tools of a champion. But it would show up more with a player like Johnny Archer or Cory Duel. Or even some of those oter great shooters. My first pick would have been Buddy Hall because I like everything about his game including his determination. And he is my pick over all the other players. And he has the kind of mind that he would learn it wright away. And he would absorb what I am talking about. And the young players would be great at it to but I realy dont even no them. But I seen them play. Varner would have been perfect because he craved for knowledge his whole live and he has a great attitude and a willingness to learn. I would like to tell you Dick even though I dont realy no you. You are very good with your opinions and you stick with them you dont keep changing like the wind. And thats a sign of a strong person. THe belive and stick with their opinion. People who keep changing their stories and their is lots of dought and credibility in their stories. And their storeies and what the say have a lot of holes in them. You may chalange some ones opinion but you have stayed with your same story. And you also dont over exagerate and make up a story that is not true. You no your bonderes and limits and you dont take agvantage of people who dont no or want to learn and you dont con them or trick them you are basicly above board. And I belive you love to help people. And your love for the game realy showes keep up the good work.

Thanks Artie. I really appreciate you saying that. But as you say, we don't really know each other. I'd be ashamed to tell you how many women I've let change my mind. Does that count ?

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Thanks Artie. I really appreciate you saying that. But as you say, we don't really know each other. I'd be ashamed to tell you how many women I've let change my mind. Does that count ?

Dick
Thats your buisness and you have to figure it out. But I can tell you the wright one is out their for you so keep looking and dont let them pick you. YOU pick who you want. Its realy the same way with friends we should pick our friends dont let them pick you. I remember when I was in MCC and this inmate told me He doesnt trust anyone the only one he trusts is his dog. Their is a lot to the moral of his story. Keep looking for the woman
that you realy want. She is out their and when you find it you will no. Because it will be better then 8 and out. Most people will take whoever the are with and lock themselves up for their whole life instead of looking for the woman the real want. But if you have the wright woman you will no it. And if you have the wrong one you will no that too. But you have to be strong enough to move on and sometimes thats not to easy. Everyone is intitled to happiness and a fun enjoyable life and if it doesnt work. I would say make a change. I hope you have the wright woman and you are living a happy and exciting life. Its very special now days to have a woman that you can enjoy 24 houers a day and want to live your lives together and share each others love and feelings. Remember you are all on the same team. If people are honest and sincere it will show. Remember in life we can always turn the channle. And their is a different picture on every channale and our life works the same way.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thats your buisness and you have to figure it out. But I can tell you the wright one is out their for you so keep looking and dont let them pick you. YOU pick who you want. Its realy the same way with friends we should pick our friends dont let them pick you. I remember when I was in MCC and this inmate told me He doesnt trust anyone the only one he trusts is his dog. Their is a lot to the moral of his story. Keep looking for the woman
that you realy want. She is out their and when you find it you will no. Because it will be better then 8 and out. Most people will take whoever the are with and lock themselves up for their whole life instead of looking for the woman the real want. But if you have the wright woman you will no it. And if you have the wrong one you will no that too. But you have to be strong enough to move on and sometimes thats not to easy. Everyone is intitled to happiness and a fun enjoyable life and if it doesnt work. I would say make a change. I hope you have the wright woman and you are living a happy and exciting life. Its very special now days to have a woman that you can enjoy 24 houers a day and want to live your lives together and share each others love and feelings. Remember you are all on the same team. If people are honest and sincere it will show. Remember in life we can always turn the channle. And their is a different picture on every channale and our life works the same way.

Artie, my fault for confusing you. I didn't mean to do that. I was talking about my old wild days. I finally got lucky and found my soul mate. We have been married for 34 years. They have been, and still are, the best years of my life. I got real lucky.

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Artie, my fault for confusing you. I didn't mean to do that. I was talking about my old wild days. I finally got lucky and found my soul mate. We have been married for 34 years. They have been, and still are, the best years of my life. I got real lucky.

Dick
Their is nothing greater than to share youre life then with a person you love its great that their are still people like that in the world. and can enjoy each others company and that makes life more full filling and enjoyable. And the are their for you when you need a friend. People that have that kind off love and give each other love and happines their is no greater joy in life. And you should be very tankfull that you have that person in your life. Because into days world that is very rear. And you should cherris it for the rest of youre life because you have what so many people are looking for and you are very fourtunate that you found her. And helped making youre life complet. Tell her what I am telling you and you will see the greatest smile and shine on her face. You have the greatest and strongest gift in life LOVE. I hope you have it forever.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Artie Bodendorfer said:

I agree that Shane Van Boening would be a good candidate. I watched him defeat Buddy Hall last year at Derby City. His shot selection looked pretty weak the first game. But then you could see him improve form game to game. He seems to be a quick learner also. And he seems to play with no distractions.

I think Duel would also be a good choice. He has a beautiful touch and great cue ball control. However, my first choice would be Gabe Owens. I was telling my buddy that I thought Gabe was playing better than anyone at the tournament early on. And darn if he didn't go on to win it. He was really making some good shot selections. Like you were saying Artie, he made fewer mistakes than his opponents and tha'ts why he won. I watched him playing Larry Nevel and Gabe showed a lot of control and was making better shot selections. Nevel was trying hard not to shoot at everything but in the end Gabe prevailed. I remeber one shot where Gabe needed one ball and Nevel needed a bunch. Everybody was saying shoot! shoot! He would have had to make a fairly difficult cut shot and the cue ball would have gotten loose. Shannon Daulton was sitting next to me and was saying he needs to shoot. I chose to disagree suggesting he come off a ball a send whitey down table. He chose the safety and ultimately won the game and the match. I like Gabe's style and I also think he loves the game better than most of the younger guys.

george

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
I agree that Shane Van Boening would be a good candidate. I watched him defeat Buddy Hall last year at Derby City. His shot selection looked pretty weak the first game. But then you could see him improve form game to game. He seems to be a quick learner also. And he seems to play with no distractions.

I think Duel would also be a good choice. He has a beautiful touch and great cue ball control. However, my first choice would be Gabe Owens. I was telling my buddy that I thought Gabe was playing better than anyone at the tournament early on. And darn if he didn't go on to win it. He was really making some good shot selections. Like you were saying Artie, he made fewer mistakes than his opponents and tha'ts why he won. I watched him playing Larry Nevel and Gabe showed a lot of control and was making better shot selections. Nevel was trying hard not to shoot at everything but in the end Gabe prevailed. I remeber one shot where Gabe needed one ball and Nevel needed a bunch. Everybody was saying shoot! shoot! He would have had to make a fairly difficult cut shot and the cue ball would have gotten loose. Shannon Daulton was sitting next to me and was saying he needs to shoot. I chose to disagree suggesting he come off a ball a send whitey down table. He chose the safety and ultimately won the game and the match. I like Gabe's style and I also think he loves the game better than most of the younger guys.

george
I think any of these great young players could become the best out of the field. If the no what to do and how to do it. Some of these players might be better than one of the other players. Because of how the think and do the right thing. The older and greater one pocket players like Efrin Buddy Hall Cliff Parica are starting to lose a little bit of their talant and the are starting to slow down. And that is what happines to all great players and atlets time. Everybody only has so much time and then our life changes. If I could show some one how to play correct one pocket I would like to teach it to a player that does not have to much one pocket experience and then you would see how much he learned and how he played before and after he learned. And that is the best way for some one to see how much the learned. Any one of the 5 top players would be good. And you would see what I am saying is the truth. And the would have a big edge in outsmartning whoever the are playing. Because with the knowledge nobody could out smart them. But the would out smart them. And if the have the ability and talent like the person the are playing the would win at least 70% of the time or more. But I dont no if that will ever come about. BUt it would be great to do and show everyone that it could be done. And their is a lot of hard work and learning and memorizing. And it would help all the other pool games. Their are not to many belivers. But once you show them and prove it to them then the will belive. But I have been winning on my knowledge my whole life whatever I did. Not with my ability and talant. Knowledge is youres forever nobody can take it from you money comes and goes but not your knowledge.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
I remeber one shot where Gabe needed one ball and Nevel needed a bunch. Everybody was saying shoot! shoot! He would have had to make a fairly difficult cut shot and the cue ball would have gotten loose. Shannon Daulton was sitting next to me and was saying he needs to shoot. I chose to disagree suggesting he come off a ball a send whitey down table. He chose the safety and ultimately won the game and the match.
George, you gettin' pretty sophisticated for an Alabama boy!!!:D

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
My FRiend FROSTY was from summington Alabama it was a dry county. but Frosty drank his hole life. He was one of the best card hustlers in our time. He past away not to long ago. But we had some exciting times hustling through the south. And all the times I seen Frosty play cards I never seen him loose. His brother fixed race cars and raced car. I guess that was very big down South. Frosty was a uniquie caracter and I will allways remember him.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Lone Star Blues !

Lone Star Blues !

I only wish I could re-visit all the people I met in Texas, and the deep south.
The years spent there, were the best of my life.
Many became life long friends. I've been blessed with a good life here in Arizona, but to this day, I still miss Texas.

Dick

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Thanks Doc! I guess that's a compliment.........I'll have to think about it.

I wish I was more sophisticated at one pocket than some of the other things I do good like cooking and gardening. BTW I cooked a big pot of seafood gumbo today so if you get to Mobile in the next couple of days give me a call.

Hope to see you soon in Gulfport. George Shimmer and I are going to ride over one day soon. He wants to play on the tables before the tournament.

I'll give you a call the day we arrive. I think you said you are there on Tuesday evening and the weekend. If I'm not mistaken.

george