Concept for a One Pocket Hall of Fame

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you have already noticed the Hall of Fame page here on OnePocket.org. In case you haven’t yet, you can find it here:
http://onepocket.org/fame.htm

However, what you see here on this web site is only the first little step – we hope! Here is the rest of the concept, and as you will see, it will take plenty of teamwork to make this happen in its entirety, but it is not out of reach!

• Expand the virtual One Pocket Hall of Fame that is here on OnePocket.org to include photos of the inductees and biographical sketches, along with highlights of their accomplishments in One Pocket. This is fairly easy – as long as those of you with photos, stories and your great memories keep lending material, I can put it up!
  • Hold a series of voting sessions right here on OnePocket.org to elect new members to the One Pocket Hall of Fame! Many great suggestions for candidates have already come up in the earlier One Pocket Hall of Fame thread here in this Forum. The voting part is actually easy, since our Forum software is set up for exactly that sort of thing. Everyone who is a member of OnePocket.org can participate, and since OnePocket.org is an open forum, all that is needed is an email address and an interest in One Pocket to register with OnePocket.org and participate in this cause. What better democratic process, and what more qualified voters could we ask for than having our own members elect the inductees?
  • Create a One Pocket Hall of Fame display booth, using a standard trade show pop-up backdrop with special poster graphics that honor the Hall of Fame members, which could be easily shipped and set up at any major One Pocket event. I realize this is not quite the equivalent of Cooperstown, yet it would bring the One Pocket Hall of Fame right to the public, in settings where it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Create a Hall of Fame program with photos, historical sketches and accomplishments of each member of the One Pocket Hall of Fame. The program should be an attractive color magazine-like format, suitable for autographs :) , and available for sale at the Hall of Fame booth :) . Each year the program should be updated and reprinted, with extended features on the current year’s inductees (along with basic info on previous inductees). That way each new issue is something special. Naturally each issue would be a great vehicle for cultivating sponsorship – both from individual contributors and from corporate sponsors – because what One Pocket fan or business that caters to pool players wouldn’t want to have their name or logo listed as a supporter of this noble cause?
  • If enough financial support is available, create a One Pocket Hall of Fame ring – like the concept of a championship ring in other sports, that proudly says One Pocket Hall of Fame, and is engraved inside with the inductee’s name and the year of their induction.
Folks, with your support, these are reasonable goals, yet they would go a long way, IMHO, of honoring some of the most talented players ever to pick up pool cues; players who deserve to be recognized for all they have contributed to the game we love – that being or course the crown jewel of pool, the game of One Pocket.

Are you with me :) :) ?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I'm with ya... all the way..

I'm with ya... all the way..

Either with a quarterly update, or just at major tournaments, these editions would be worth the effort.

onepocket said:
Many of you have already noticed the Hall of Fame page here on OnePocket.org. In case you haven’t yet, you can find it here:
http://onepocket.org/fame.htm

However, what you see here on this web site is only the first little step – we hope! Here is the rest of the concept, and as you will see, it will take plenty of teamwork to make this happen in its entirety, but it is not out of reach!

• Expand the virtual One Pocket Hall of Fame that is here on OnePocket.org to include photos of the inductees and biographical sketches, along with highlights of their accomplishments in One Pocket. This is fairly easy – as long as those of you with photos, stories and your great memories keep lending material, I can put it up!
  • Hold a series of voting sessions right here on OnePocket.org to elect new members to the One Pocket Hall of Fame! Many great suggestions for candidates have already come up in the earlier One Pocket Hall of Fame thread here in this Forum. The voting part is actually easy, since our Forum software is set up for exactly that sort of thing. Everyone who is a member of OnePocket.org can participate, and since OnePocket.org is an open forum, all that is needed is an email address and an interest in One Pocket to register with OnePocket.org and participate in this cause. What better democratic process, and what more qualified voters could we ask for than having our own members elect the inductees?
  • Create a One Pocket Hall of Fame display booth, using a standard trade show pop-up backdrop with special poster graphics that honor the Hall of Fame members, which could be easily shipped and set up at any major One Pocket event. I realize this is not quite the equivalent of Cooperstown, yet it would bring the One Pocket Hall of Fame right to the public, in settings where it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Create a Hall of Fame program with photos, historical sketches and accomplishments of each member of the One Pocket Hall of Fame. The program should be an attractive color magazine-like format, suitable for autographs :) , and available for sale at the Hall of Fame booth :) . Each year the program should be updated and reprinted, with extended features on the current year’s inductees (along with basic info on previous inductees). That way each new issue is something special. Naturally each issue would be a great vehicle for cultivating sponsorship – both from individual contributors and from corporate sponsors – because what One Pocket fan or business that caters to pool players wouldn’t want to have their name or logo listed as a supporter of this noble cause?
  • If enough financial support is available, create a One Pocket Hall of Fame ring – like the concept of a championship ring in other sports, that proudly says One Pocket Hall of Fame, and is engraved inside with the inductee’s name and the year of their induction.
Folks, with your support, these are reasonable goals, yet they would go a long way, IMHO, of honoring some of the most talented players ever to pick up pool cues; players who deserve to be recognized for all they have contributed to the game we love – that being or course the crown jewel of pool, the game of One Pocket.

Are you with me :) :) ?

ajrack

Verified Member
From
Vancouver USA
more ideas

more ideas

Since there is NO "official" Hall of Fame location, where we can look at "anything", trophies, photos, etc., A traveling show is an interesting idea. There are a few people who I think could STORE the exhibit until the next event, and they could send it to some of the one pocket events for a display. A fee could be paid by the scheduled event for the transport of the display and it could really be set up at many events.
We just need to decide...where to have the home base for the Display, and get started with the gathering of the information. I am sure there will be a lot of donated information out there to start it off.
It might take a year or so to get it going but we gotta start sometime.

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
ajrack said:
Since there is NO "official" Hall of Fame location, where we can look at "anything", trophies, photos, etc., A traveling show is an interesting idea. There are a few people who I think could STORE the exhibit until the next event, and they could send it to some of the one pocket events for a display. A fee could be paid by the scheduled event for the transport of the display and it could really be set up at many events.
We just need to decide...where to have the home base for the Display, and get started with the gathering of the information. I am sure there will be a lot of donated information out there to start it off.
It might take a year or so to get it going but we gotta start sometime.
My suggested location is,,,,,Lebanon, KS.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
ajrack said:
COULD THIS BE NEAR "YOUR" LOCATION???
Logical assumption,,,,,but no. As most know, I live in Jackson, MS. Lebanon, KS happens to be the geographical center of the continental U.S.

ajrack

Verified Member
From
Vancouver USA
The center

The center

hemicudas said:
Logical assumption,,,,,but no. As most know, I live in Jackson, MS. Lebanon, KS happens to be the geographical center of the continental U.S.
Not a bad idea...we can all go half way to get there...
How much one pocket in the area, or would a little bit farther south work?

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Add in a professionally produced video. Have it start with someone explaining one pocket briefly for attendees that might not be as familar as we are. Maybe have a slide show using some of the old photos of deceased players either up close or at the table in action and have a narrator give a brief history. Then end with a very short interview with 4 or 5 players or maybe just the current inductee. Have it produced on a continous loop cassette with a running time of 10-12 minutes. That is about as long as someone would stand and watch. Shorter is better. (I keep trying to convience my wife)

Later, Pel

JAM

Verified Member
Lots of One-Pocket Players...

Lots of One-Pocket Players...

Pelican said:
Add in a professionally produced video. Have it start with someone explaining one pocket briefly for attendees that might not be as familar as we are. Maybe have a slide show using some of the old photos of deceased players either up close or at the table in action and have a narrator give a brief history. Then end with a very short interview with 4 or 5 players or maybe just the current inductee. Have it produced on a continous loop cassette with a running time of 10-12 minutes. That is about as long as someone would stand and watch...

As an aside, I can't remember who it was that told me this, but I believe it occurred at one of Strawberry's one-pocket tournaments or maybe it was at a tournament in the D.C. area.

Nick Varner and somebody else was playing. ESPN came there to film the match, and after 1-1/2 hours, during the middle of the match, they packed up their gear and left, stating that what they had recorded just wasn't suitable for their viewing audience; very slow-going, to be exact.

There are some one-pocket stars and legends who could shine in the right arena. I like Pel's idea of having a brief interview before the match, to give the audience a flavor of the personalities of the players.

My picture gallery has Keith in most of them. :p Here is a great one-pocket player, Bob Ogburn (sp). He is heralded as a great player and still enjoys the game today, promoting tournaments and contributing back to the sport, and I'll betcha he'd be very interested in this U.S. Open One-Pocket concept!