Cooney vs. Joyner

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here's a little layout for you while Ghost is combing through his picture vault. It's Jack Cooney vs. Cliff Joyner from the 1998 Worlds.

The situation is that Cooney needs 1 while Cliff needs all 3. Jack has left Cliff in a tricky situation. What did Cliff do, and what would YOU do? You can tell from the 2nd picture that the left side of the 9 can be hit. ~Doc

Joyner-Cooney 1.jpg

Joyner-Cooney 2.jpg

Cloidius

Verified Member
Well...

Well...

I don't see a lot of ways to create offense here.

Cliff can be very conservative in situations like this.

I believe he may cut the 14 into the left side of 9. Both balls should move up to his side of the table, while the cb draws naturally to the foot rail.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm gonna control bank the 9 cross side and try to block a free cut shot at the fourteen, and leave em on the head rail close to pocket.

I said the nine....meant 14

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't see a lot of ways to create offense here.

Cliff can be very conservative in situations like this.

I believe he may cut the 14 into the left side of 9. Both balls should move up to his side of the table, while the cb draws naturally to the foot rail.

Yep,

I'm thinking Cliff would have to move the 14 & the 9 over to his side just like you described here, and he might just float the CB to Cooneys long rail, close to Cooneys pocket, it's what I would try to do, less chance of giving up a bank from there. I don't like thinning the 9, for a couple of reasons, one is you could scratch, another is you could give up a free cross very easily. I'm in your camp on this one. Good call Cloidius.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I dunno

troutmanmo

Verified Member
From
Houston
Why not 2 rail the 14 to Joyner's side and leave the q ball near Cooney's pocket on the long rail?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Here's a little layout for you while Ghost is combing through his picture vault. It's Jack Cooney vs. Cliff Joyner from the 1998 Worlds.

The situation is that Cooney needs 1 while Cliff needs all 3. Jack has left Cliff in a tricky situation. What did Cliff do, and what would YOU do? You can tell from the 2nd picture that the left side of the 9 can be hit. ~Doc

View attachment 13347

View attachment 13348

I think I would cut the 14 trying to put it between the 9 and 10 with my CB straight to the long rail.

edit: Clyde's shot is better, but I like Jeff's CB better.

1pwannabe

Verified Member

Tough spot for sure. Maybe thin the 10 pushing it up table more and leave the cue dead on Jack's rail near the side pocket. There are hundreds of ways to lose here, but very few ways to win...

troutmanmo

Verified Member
From
Houston
John,

I really didn't believe those guys when they told me you were a complete ****in asshole,,,but I do see it now...I got some too!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
John,

I really didn't believe those guys when they told me you were a complete ****in asshole,,,but I do see it now...I got some too!!

Whoa partner,

John was just being funny I think, see the smiley face he put behind his post.
;):D:eek::p;)

Some people call me a space cowboy
Some people call me the gangsta of love
Some call me Maurice
Cause I speak of the pompitious of love

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I would cross the 9 ball to come across to just under the 10 ball and put the cue ball on the rail up table. The key is trying to double him up on the 10 9 balls. It will be real hard for cooney to not leave you a good shot attempt from that position.

beatle

Verified Member
you need all the balls the last thing you want to do is to put them up table if you have any other choice.

the best shot is if you can get past the side pocket is to long rail bank the 15 and come around 3 rails for position for the run out.

next best if the table is super fast is to spin bank the 15 and draw your cueball over and down behind the other balls and run out or leave him covered.

average players would sell out on both of these shots.

third, if the other two arent acceptable is to cross the nine.

if you sell out rack them up.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
John,

:lol :lol :lol

For real, good to see you're finally speakin' up.

I forget whether we've talked about the Derby... are you goin'?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
next best if the table is super fast is to spin bank the 15 and draw your cueball over and down behind the other balls and run out or leave him covered.

Yep. Jack up, full hit, spin and try to play CB safe and hope to hit it good.
P.S. I do once in a great while. :)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Yep. Jack up, full hit, spin and try to play CB safe and hope to hit it good.
P.S. I do once in a great while. :)

There isn't a 15 ball on the table, do you mean the 10? It looks like the bank angle on the 10 would draw into the 9. That seems like a tight hole to hit to me.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
There isn't a 15 ball on the table, do you mean the 10? It looks like the bank angle on the 10 would draw into the 9. That seems like a tight hole to hit to me.

Well yes the 10ball. I'm a bit of a gofer. :) The only problem is scratching in the side as I'm not drawing (spin) the CB.

P.S. Beatle said the 15ball, but I knew what he meant.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would say he banked the 10 with right draw and came off the side rail and bumped the 9 towards his hole and ran out.
I went down and shot this about 20 times and I noticed right away that its pretty hard to miss both those balls coming off the rail .
I would guess that Cliff knew it would be, before he shot it.
A great example of what might be normally a flyer , is now , not such a bad shot depending on score and ability.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Didn't read everything but if someone said to do this then this is what I like. Need to keep all the balls in play. Get the nine to my side and protect it with the ten ball.
cross table nine.jpg