Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
John's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 2-0 Donn ahead --- wwyd? ----->

001.JPG003.JPG002.JPG

androd

Verified Member
DOH ! bank the 3ball, get on the 5ball or the 15ball next.
You're having me on------------- right ?

catkins

Verified Member
no way I don't bank the three kinda slow to let the spin on the cue ball take it to either shape the 5 or I can settle for bank on the 1

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
DOH ! bank the 3ball, get on the 5ball or the 15ball next.
You're having me on------------- right ?
Isn't there a kiss on the 3 ? If you play it slow with top left you may be able to dodge it but it looks real close to me

Hardmix

Verified Member
If there is a decent amount of humidity, I am shooting Rods shot. If humidity is lower where the rails are not biting I would look at 2 railing the 11 and sticking on the 8.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Play the 11 two rails back (near 3rd diamond my side), leaving the CB sitting on the 7&8.

catkins

Verified Member
Isn't there a kiss on the 3 ? If you play it slow with top left you may be able to dodge it but it looks real close to me
I don't see any kiss here at all the cue ball is gonna take off super long with spin if played correctly. I guess on super new slick table it wont bite but I still think you can stun spin this bank to great effect

also the 3 ball is moving close to 6 feet to intersect with the cue ball and the cue ball needs to move about 8 inches to get out of it

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Seemed problematic to me too, but perhaps a bottom-right draw off the 3 could shape the 15 or 5 without too much speed on the 3.(?)
I wouldn't draw it for another bank to leave Donn straight in if I miss the 3. It looks like a slow top left spin can beat the kiss but there isn't much leeway here the way I see it

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I don't see any kiss here at all the cue ball is gonna take off super long with spin if played correctly. I guess on super new slick table it wont bite but I still think you can stun spin this bank to great effect

also the 3 ball is moving close to 6 feet to intersect with the cue ball and the cue ball needs to move about 8 inches to get out of it
I wouldn't go as far as to say "no kiss at all" as the CB crosses the path of the 3 off the rail. I don't think it's possible to get the CB out of the way before the 3 crosses its path so the CB has to be near the rail at the point of the 3 passing it. It's a timing shot and could be easily misjudged (especially if the 3 grabs the side rail more than I thought it would, e.g. due to the collision induced spin which is amplified by playing left on the CB to get position). I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time

unoperro

Verified Member
15-14-11-3 shot on the 3 determined if 6 ,7 ,8,12 or 10 is next.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I admit, I'm dumb as hell on these shots.. Is the cue ball suppose to go through the intersection before the three gets there, or after the three goes by???

mr3cushion

Verified Member
In banking the 3 ball, I would play to hit the 5 ball with the CB after going to the short rail. This way, there is no kiss, you play the 15 next. The CB contacts the 5 as the 3 gets to the long cushion. Pretty standard, (1 cushion billiard shot). If, I play the bank.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
In banking the 3 ball, I would play to hit the 5 ball with the CB after going to the short rail. This way, there is no kiss, you play the 15 next. The CB contacts the 5 as the 3 gets to the long cushion. Pretty standard, (1 cushion billiard shot). If, I play the bank.
That’s interesting. Obviously, you think there is more angle than I see. Where’s Whitey when you need him :)

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
due to the collision induced spin
Wouldn't that contact tend to cancel some of the cued spin?
Left spin on the CB, contacting the 3 while crossing from left to right, would tend to counter some (little bit) of the left on the CB(?)

Kybanks

Verified Member
I wouldn't go as far as to say "no kiss at all" as the CB crosses the path of the 3 off the rail. I don't think it's possible to get the CB out of the way before the 3 crosses its path so the CB has to be near the rail at the point of the 3 passing it. It's a timing shot and could be easily misjudged (especially if the 3 grabs the side rail more than I thought it would, e.g. due to the collision induced spin which is amplified by playing left on the CB to get position). I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time
Banks of this nature, the trick is figuring out which ball needs to be sped up or which ball needs to get to the rail faster. In this case it's the cue ball. If you shot this bank trying to have the 3 ball pass the cb, then it's a kiss all day. If you speed up the cb to the rail and have the cb pass over the 3 ball, no kiss ever.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Wouldn't that contact tend to cancel some of the cued spin?
Left spin on the CB, contacting the 3 while crossing from left to right, would tend to counter some (little bit) of the left on the CB(?)
If you cut an OB to the right, it acquires the same spin (ie right). If you play left on the CB, it transfers right to the OB (think gear wheels here) so if you apply left when cutting to the right, the effect is amplified. Conversely, if you apply right, the OB holds more to its natural path

Edit. For the avoidance of doubt, when I say cutting to the right, I mean the direction of the cue in relation to the OB. I can see how some may say this is in fact cutting to the left as this is where the OB goes. Regardless of how you call it the principle still holds

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
think gear wheels here
My bad, Ratamon. I'd not read your thoughts properly.
I thought you were making a point that left spin on the CB needing to be strong to come off the rail well would be enhanced by collision induced spin with the 3.
I appreciate your response.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm shooting the 3 ball cross corner with enough left to hit the 12 ball. I'm going all out to win the game now!